• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    So I am about to be in the market for a .22lr again, and am considering another 10/22 but with an 18” or longer barrel, or possibly a bolt action rifle.... I’m looking for a decent grouping rifle, that WILL have glass on it.

Currently looking at the Ruger American Rimfire, but open to more. Pics and recommendations are welcome.
    I would like:
    18” or more barrel
    Ability to get a composite or fiberglass stock (Magpul Hunter is a given if I get a 10/22)
    Reliabilty
    Aftermarket support

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    IMHO, a bolt will generally always be more accurate than a semi. This of course will very by brand and make. A CZ bolt guns are good. I heard the Remington 597 was pretty good coming out of the box. If we are talking extremes in accuracy then a Anschutz or Walther rifle.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    I have sworn off 22 semis, if I want cheap semi plinking I move to 9mm. That said, Ruger rimfire precision seems good, if you have the mags already it makes lots of sense

For 22 I personally LOVE my CZ455 bolt, it's awesome.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Bolt Action Marlin XT-22 , under $200. I have a tube fed version, a magazine version also available. At 25 yds , Iron sights , less than a quarter size hole with 15rds of CCI

For a semiauto , I find the Marlin 60 (again under $200) more accurate than a 10/22

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    My most accurate 22 is my Marlin XT22. Front sight was canted but that came off anyway. PLanning to cut it down some and thread it for some quiet fun.Especially if I threw in some Ely ammo into it.
    I have a ruger 10/22 with a threaded thick barrel, Marlin still holds tighter groups though.

A CZ is darn accurate too, I only shot one once and was not noticeably more accurate than my marlin. The cost though. you better shoot it alot.
    To squeeze the best consistent accuracy out of your 22 at 50 yards or more, you need good ammo

With the impending bankruptcy, I don't know about them anymore. I hear lots of talk about savage w/ the scope is accurate out of the box.

Last edited:

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    My savage bolt action will shoot 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards without trying. Almost made me think I was a good rifle shot.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Bolt action. CZ's Model 455 is a fine rifle.

Surprised that no one has mentioned the Savage Mark ll. I don't own the Savage, but from what I've seen of it, that rifle is a shooter also.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    if you're a righty, look for the tikka t1x bolt gun modeled after their t3x rifles, out in 1-3 months. hoping they'll also put out a lefty version not too far in the future.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    My savage bolt action will shoot 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards without trying. Almost made me think I was a good rifle shot.

That's what I hear a lot, I'm curious, what scope was it and what ammo did you use?

mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    Defintely a right hander here.... any of these rifles have a composite stock available, sikilar to the Magpul hunter for the 10/22?

scout6

Sep 28, 2016
    Ceciltucky
    Outfitted this guy recently, waiting for a decent chance to get it to the range for zero etc.

Savage B22 (Newer version of the Mark II) SR ready model.
    - Accutrigger is sweet on these
    Bushnell 3.5-10x 36mm scope
    CVLIFE bi-pod. Just can't justify extra $ for a Harris on a rimfire.

Attachments

• IMG_0276[13932].jpg
      IMG_0276[13932].jpg
      21.7 KB · Views: 282

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    The Ruger American takes 10-22 mags. The stock is composite and comes with adjustance cheek welds. It’s a quick easy change. The range I used to have was 75 yards and I had zero issues whacking a quarter everytime. I have some cheap ($80) Bushnell rimfire scope on it from Wal-Mart and it works great.

Set it up so the wife could enjoy shooting.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    That's what I hear a lot, I'm curious, what scope was it and what ammo did you use?

I can't recall the scope without checking the safe. I believe its a Nikon 3-9x. Its favorite round that I've tried is CCI sv. Groups will open up a bit with federal automatch and cci mini mags. Open way up with golden bullets.

I haven't even gotten into traditional "target" or "match" ammo. Crazy accurate. I've literally done nothing except torque the rings and bases and back out the trigger screw a bit.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Im looking for good, not “amazing” lol. Anyone have a Ruger precision rimfire?

I have a CZ 452 American which is the most accurate rimfire rifle I've ever shot. No pics of that one, but here's some info on the Ruger Precision Rimfire.

I'm still working to find the best ammo, but here's a five shot group at 50 yards with the RPR rimfire:

Attachments

• IMG_0043.jpg
      IMG_0043.jpg
      76.5 KB · Views: 277

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads