• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpatialD

Aug 8, 2015
    Temple Hills
    Just picked up a Savage FV-SR for a quite good price especially when adding in the currently offered factory rebate. This rifle will require my first foray into optics. Now the question is which scope category would be best suited considering...

I really don't expect a 22LR to be practical beyond 100yds and assume most targets of opportunity will be in the 25yd-75yd range. There seems to be many that will mount a 3-9 or 4x fixed but I envision these as possibly offering limitations in field-of-view for up-close work. Might I be selling short the flexibility these could offer? My latest leaning is towards a decent but value priced 2x7 which hopefully could offer the sweet spot I'm looking for -- Maybe a Vortex 2x7x32 Rimfire or Weaver RV7?

Also, how important is tube and objective diameter when shooting overcast/dusk conditions?

Appreciate some schooling.

terp91

Mar 14, 2013
    Halethorpe
    The quality of the glass will have a larger impact in overcast shooting conditions than the size of the tube/objective. What is your primary intended use for the rifle? That will help guide what various levels of magnification would be appropriate.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I shoot my CZ 455 out to 200 yds all the time. The savage I'm sure, can do the same. Maybe look at a 3-9x42? That would give you range and better light gathering than a 32mm obj. I would go for a scope without an adjustable objective also. For quick shots on critters having to rotate your objective can cause problems. My favorite scope for hunting squirrels is a 4 X 32 made by Hawke for 60$.

I have a leupold VX-1 Rimfire 2-7x28mm for sale if you're interested. It's a mid 60s production scope in great condition. I will include a set of rings and ship it for 175$

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Leupold 2-7 x28 or Nikon rimfire 3-9x40.
    You can get both with an adjustable reticle for a bit more money.
    If you really want rimfire info I highl recommend rimfirecentral.com. They have a forum on all makes as well as an optic forum. Stay away from the CZ forum or your wallet will empty.

SpatialD

Aug 8, 2015
    Temple Hills
    The quality of the glass will have a larger impact in overcast shooting conditions than the size of the tube/objective. What is your primary intended use for the rifle? [snip]
    I can understand what you say about glass quality. From research though it looks like even the mid-priced optics now offer decent quality. As for intended use -- Mainly vermin and bite-sized camp food.

I shoot my CZ 455 out to 200 yds all the time. The savage I'm sure, can do the same. Maybe look at a 3-9x42? That would give you range and better light gathering than a 32mm obj. I would go for a scope without an adjustable objective also. For quick shots on critters having to rotate your objective can cause problems. My favorite scope for hunting squirrels is a 4 X 32 made by Hawke for 60$.

I have a leupold VX-1 Rimfire 2-7x28mm for sale if you're interested. It's a mid 60s production scope in great condition. I will include a set of rings and ship it for 175$
    If that's a 22LR you shoot to 200yds it makes me even more satisfied (among other reasons) I didn't opt for .17 or .22 mag. I can see with those distances why a 3-9 is not considered overkill. You also mention the 4x fixed -- How close in will they allow for without compromise? I can see rodent rooting being as up-front as 10yds. Don't want to be caught counting hairs. ;-) . I'm with you on not requiring an AO option, not sure all shots will be at a leisure pace and/or always at the same distances.

I'll keep that VX-1 offer as an option.

Leupold 2-7 x28 or Nikon rimfire 3-9x40.
    You can get both with an adjustable reticle for a bit more money.
    If you really want rimfire info I highl recommend rimfirecentral.com. They have a forum on all makes as well as an optic forum. Stay away from the CZ forum or your wallet will empty.
    I've spent a fair amount of time lurking and absorbing from the RFC forum. I too would say CZ could be a death spiral as they are gorgeous rifles. For a while I was on the fence about getting one of those but figured the FV-SR is just about right aside from the stock not being scope friendly but at $215 (after FFL fee) I figured I could upgrade later to a more desirable wood stock when the itch gets overwhelming.

From what I can see the lowly (affectionately applied) Ruger 10/22 almost always becomes the most expensive of all as there is no end to upgrade-ability.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I also have the 3x9 Nikon on mine. Good field of view at 3. I like shooting acorns and 9mm casings at 50 with it cranked up to 9.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I have a Vortex 2-8x32 Diamondback HP on mine. I am happy with the low light capability as well as the overall size of the scope. The gun is just fantastic. The scope is not the quality of my Leupold but just fine on this gun and is a bit less expensive.

Here is a not so great picture or two

Attachments

• Savage FV-SR.jpg
      Savage FV-SR.jpg
      97.3 KB · Views: 635
    • Savage upright.jpg
      Savage upright.jpg
      31.7 KB · Views: 732

SpatialD

Aug 8, 2015
    Temple Hills
    Appreciate everyone's input and insight!

I also have the 3x9 Nikon on mine. Good field of view at 3. I like shooting acorns and 9mm casings at 50 with it cranked up to 9.
    I'm betting you can even read the brass stamping!

I have a Vortex 2-8x32 Diamondback HP on mine. I am happy with the low light capability as well as the overall size of the scope. The gun is just fantastic. The scope is not the quality of my Leupold but just fine on this gun and is a bit less expensive.

Here is a not so great picture or two
    Exactly what I'm looking for, clean and functional.

-------

Just learned any increased illumination from a larger objective lens is really only realized as magnification is increased. In addition, tube size adds virtually nothing towards illumination but may offer increased elev/wind adjustments.

Was also looking at the Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3-9x40 and noticed it comes with a BDC reticle. I've thought, ever since researching rimfire scopes, that BDC could be well suited for 22LR given the trajectory of the relatively anemic load. While this particular Prostaff BDC reticle looks a little busy with it's use of rings for compensation indicators it was nevertheless refreshing to see it available. This is a very reasonably priced scope but have to think about the larger than average 40mm and busy reticle. Might there be any 2-7x32 rimfire scopes out there with BDC that I've missed? How about any reasons I should dismiss the thought of BDC for my intended application?

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    If that's a 22LR you shoot to 200yds it makes me even more satisfied (among other reasons) I didn't opt for .17 or .22 mag. I can see with those distances why a 3-9 is not considered overkill. You also mention the 4x fixed -- How close in will they allow for without compromise? I can see rodent rooting being as up-front as 10yds. Don't want to be caught counting hairs. ;-) . I'm with you on not requiring an AO option, not sure all shots will be at a leisure pace and/or always at the same distances.

I'll keep that VX-1 offer as an option.

I shoot squirrels with the 4X from 10-30yds with no problem, that scope is on my RWS 42. I had a 3-9x40AO scope and I was always fumbling with the objective or the magnification ring to get the shot into focus and by then the target was gone. With the 4X I can track the target and keep things is focus more easily.

Yes, I'm shooting 22LR. I have a 10/22 and a CZ455 that will both hit a soda can at 200yds if I do my part.

From what I can see the lowly (affectionately applied) Ruger 10/22 almost always becomes the most expensive of all as there is no end to upgrade-ability.[/QUOTE]

Speaking from a guy who has a $1200+ 10/22 I know what you mean. It started it's life as an 80s production carbine. The only thing that is original now is the upper receiver which is considered "the gun". I think the best upgrade was the Whistle Pig barrel. It lightens it up and is as accurate if not more than the Green Mountain bull barrel it replaced. Kidd trigger, bolt, spring kits, Boyds stock and a 4-14X42 scope. Its in the top two of my favorite firearms.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Appreciate everyone's input and insight!

I'm betting you can even read the brass stamping!

Exactly what I'm looking for, clean and functional.

-------

Just learned any increased illumination from a larger objective lens is really only realized as magnification is increased. In addition, tube size adds virtually nothing towards illumination but may offer increased elev/wind adjustments.

Was also looking at the Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3-9x40 and noticed it comes with a BDC reticle. I've thought, ever since researching rimfire scopes, that BDC could be well suited for 22LR given the trajectory of the relatively anemic load. While this particular Prostaff BDC reticle looks a little busy with it's use of rings for compensation indicators it was nevertheless refreshing to see it available. This is a very reasonably priced scope but have to think about the larger than average 40mm and busy reticle. Might there be any 2-7x32 rimfire scopes out there with BDC that I've missed? How about any reasons I should dismiss the thought of BDC for my intended application?

I'm not much into BDC scopes for the reason that they are calibrated to a specific load. A mildot will be more functional. If you go from minimags to the new browning stuff then to a 40gr target round at standard velocity your holdovers will never be the same. It's not always easy to get your favorite cartridge when you want it either.

Alanbdot

Jul 8, 2013
    Dont get me wrong, every optic recommended so far is awesome. But if you want to save a little coin, especially for a 22 plinker, I put a UTG Bug Buster 3-9x on my S&W 15/22 and it has been nothing short of perfect for my uses. Its no tack driver, but I generally just use it as a very cheap to shoot, 50 yard plinking gun. This scope is well received by a lot of reviewers. Just something to consider.

SpatialD

Aug 8, 2015
    Temple Hills
    I shoot squirrels with the 4X from 10-30yds with no problem, that scope is on my RWS 42. I had a 3-9x40AO scope and I was always fumbling with the objective or the magnification ring to get the shot into focus and by then the target was gone. With the 4X I can track the target and keep things is focus more easily.

Speaking from a guy who has a $1200+ 10/22 I know what you mean. It started it's life as an 80s production carbine. The only thing that is original now is the upper receiver which is considered "the gun". I think the best upgrade was the Whistle Pig barrel. It lightens it up and is as accurate if not more than the Green Mountain bull barrel it replaced. Kidd trigger, bolt, spring kits, Boyds stock and a 4-14X42 scope. Its in the top two of my favorite firearms.
    You know what, I think I fell into a somewhat familiar train of though for the first time scope buyer -- If I'm now correct, "Focus" and "Zoom" are actually two unrelated aspects. Focus is set once and subsequent changes in zoom should not effect focus.

As for my unfounded obsession with field of view -- I just looked at a comparison of the Simmons 22 Mag Rimfire in both 4x32 and 3-9x32. The 4x32 offers a 21' FOV @ 100yds while the 3-9x32 (at min. magnification) boasts 31.4' @ 100yds. This should mean that the 3-9x32 @ 4x would offer 23.6' @ 100yds. Extrapolating both of these down to 10yds would mean 2.1' vs 2.4' FOV respectively so basically a moot concern (same brand comparison). Based on these latest epiphanyies I think I'm leaning towards a 2-7x32 that will most likely spend the majority of its ready-time in the 2x-3x range.

I'm not much into BDC scopes for the reason that they are calibrated to a specific load. A mildot will be more functional. If you go from minimags to the new browning stuff then to a 40gr target round at standard velocity your holdovers will never be the same. It's not always easy to get your favorite cartridge when you want it either.
    I've been a connoisseur of value bulk packs, be they Federal or Winchester. They actually target quite well from my 22/45 so if they work as well in the FV I'd have minimal issue (relatively) with ammo/BDC calibration once a standard is achieved. That said I do see your point. It's also highly likely a scoped rifle will tend to make me be more accuracy conscious than off hand pistol shooting allows.

Dont get me wrong, every optic recommended so far is awesome. But if you want to save a little coin, especially for a 22 plinker, I put a UTG Bug Buster 3-9x on my S&W 15/22 and it has been nothing short of perfect for my uses. Its no tack driver, but I generally just use it as a very cheap to shoot, 50 yard plinking gun. This scope is well received by a lot of reviewers. Just something to consider.
    It is an interesting option and seems to have quite a following. Not sure I'd ever get use out of the RGB but, not having had that experience, I could be very wrong.
    Will definitely research UTG.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    My recommendation is that whatever optic you choose, make sure it has easily adjustable (i.e. tactical) windage and elevation turrets. Different 22LR ammo can shift POI considerably and having to unscrew caps and use a tool to adjust all the time is a pain in the butt.

SpatialD

Aug 8, 2015
    Temple Hills
    Ok guys, you have to promise not to laugh me off the forum before reading on.

I think I've decided on an interim scope. That is, if a 75yd fixed parallax will not prove to be a hindrance.

Looks like a $37 Tasco World Class 1.5-4.5x32 would be a worthy option. This will offer me a cheap opportunity to test if these lower power magnifications are what I expect them to be. If it is but the scope turns out to be lacking in quality I can swap it over to a truck/camping 22LR auto-loader and get a better but similar or specs tweaked upgrade. Although there is very little discussion to be found online about this particular Tasco (that should probably tell me something) it does look to be a Bushnell sister product. The circle-X reticle may take some getting use to but since I have very little scope time comparison would be minimal.

I think in the near future I'll end up with one of the scopes which has been mention in this thread but for now this chould provide an inexpensive reference point.

Oh, GolfR, this Tasco would be finger adjustable. ;)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    What are you going to use it for? I was dead set on a 1-4x32. Even after I had had a fixed 4x on my last 22lr. Really using it both target and squirrel hunting now...within 25yds the 3-4x range is good. I've yet to come across a squirrel that stayed still enough to even try a shot within 15yds so I don't really need anything in the 1-2x range. It works fine to about 50yds at 4x, but beyond that it isn't great magnification for target shooting or squirrels/rabbits.

Ideally a 2-7x or even 3-9 would work better. Waking the woods either would stay around 3x but it lets me crank it up if I see a squirrel off at 40-50yds that is holding pretty still and for target shooting it helps bring group sizes down past 50yds.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    To add I had gone 1-4x32 bushnell which is decent and light. I am leaning towards getting the 2-7x32 bushnell with 22lr BDC. It is supposedly set for I think 36gr CPHP 1260fps ammo. Yeah POI can shift a lot but that is what I generally hunt with and I can always ignore the BDC. It also has adjustable parallax which is nice and is only a few ounces more.

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    My recommendation is that whatever optic you choose, make sure it has easily adjustable (i.e. tactical) windage and elevation turrets. Different 22LR ammo can shift POI considerably and having to unscrew caps and use a tool to adjust all the time is a pain in the butt.

^^^This.

I run a fixed 16x SWFA scope on my CZ 455 PT and shoot 200yds with subsonic target ammo all day long. Even the same brand of ammo can have a very different POI from box to box..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom