Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009 (Introduced in House)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Northwestern Ontario Sportsmen‘s Alliance wants the region‘s MPs to get serious about scraping the long-gun registry.
    And, they are . . .
    Thunder Bay-Rainy River MP John Rafferty confirmed in an interview that “at the earliest” possible opportunity he would introduce a private member‘s bill in the House of Commons calling for the end of the long-gun registry.
    “It‘s all in the works,” he said. “I‘ve got it planned for as earliest as possible.”
    While Rafferty is optimistic that such a bill has the necessary support to pass in the House of Commons, he said, “it‘s impossible to say when it will go through third reading, and when it will pass.”
    While the New Democrat‘s 30-member caucus is split on the issue, he said all seven NDP MPs in the North support such a measure.
    “Ever since I started running for office, I promised, at the very first opportunity to support or ensure (that such legislation would go through),” Rafferty said, adding that the Conservative government has “already indicated that they would be very pleased if I did something like that.”
    NOSA executive director John Kaplanis said that any move to scrap the gun registry would be welcomed by Northern Ontario‘s many gun-owning residents.
    It is common knowledge that the gun registry primarily affects law-abiding hunters and gun collectors while failing to suitably address violent crime rates, especially in large city centres like Toronto, Kaplanis said.
    “It shouldn‘t be a shock to know that gang members and violent thugs have failed to comply with the gun registry laws while taxpayers have paid out untold millions of dollars for a program that forces duck hunters to register their guns,” he said.
    http://www.chroniclejournal.com/stories.php?id=157947

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    Warms my heart, novus. But it was a lesson that Canadian legislators learned after the fact. We should take that as a sign and inform our legislators we don't want to be doing what Canada is trying to do (in dismantling the registry) 10 years down the line.

Sometimes common sense does break out. It helps when the citizens are swinging the clue stick and helping knock that sense in, though.

rpcmig

Nov 29, 2006
    Berlin,MD
    There's even a provision in this bill that would make you a felon if you moved and didn't fill out an address change with the registry.

Norton's right: "Atlas Shrugged" is coming to pass. They're trying to turn law abiding people into felons by using administrative procedures.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    There's even a provision in this bill that would make you a felon if you moved and didn't fill out an address change with the registry.

Norton's right: "Atlas Shrugged" is coming to pass. They're trying to turn law abiding people into felons by using administrative procedures.

I have a friend of min in tough straights at the moment. She has had to move something like six times last year. If someone in that position forgot to change the address on the license just once.....

LowRecoil

Federalist
    Mar 18, 2007
    Harford
    We could all change our address to 1060 W. Addison St in Chicago. (for those that have seen The Blues Brothers)

Last edited:

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Bills will pass or fail based upon each of our actions/inactions.

First, join or renew your NRA Membership. Even IF they pass a bill like this or an AWB there WILL be a Judicial Challenge that will end up at the Supreme Court.....IF some draconian bill is passed the NRA WILL need lots of money to fight it.

Second, start calling your Reps and Senators and make it perfectly clear what you expect from them.......you better believe that we need to make a LOT of noise starting yesterday and keep it up for a long time.....if the number for Congress, your Sens and Rep are not in your speed dial you need to add them tonight......house.gov and senate.gov will be able to help you with those ph #'s

If we make enough noise they WILL back down.

Pelosi has been changing House Rules for the last week or so to establish a draconian environment that does not allow discussion or accountability. Last week she changed the rules to prevent the Minority Party from offering ammendments/changes to bills......totally squashes effective representation of nearly half of the US Population.

Pelosi also changed house rules so that a tax bill can be passed WITHOUT a Roll Call Vote.....this means that there will be no record of how your rep voted on a tax bill....allows him or her to wash their hands of blame or effectively lie to their constituency.

Each of you should call Pelosi's Office (Speaker of the House) and voice your disgust for her subversion of our Democratic Process, Debate on Issues and elimination of Accountability.

Third.....I don't want to think about what comes next because it suggests that we have lost and the Constitution has been overtly trampled....lets do everything we can to make SURE we never get to the point where individuals really start contemplating life without the Constitution.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I had lunch with John Sigler today thanks to John Josselyn, Legislative VP of AGC..

Does the name sound familiar? NRA President, John Sigler.

He thinks, like most of us do that this bill will likely go nowher again this year. But what he'd like to see is gun owners stand up NOW and go on the offensive and pound the living crap out of this bill.

Since we discussed a lot of Md specific issues, this bill didn't get much discussion today, but he seemed pretty clear about this bill getting special attention from gun owners. I wish we'd had more time to discuss specifics about it.

By the way, I have a lot of respect for this man. He had some great insight on things and he's been at it for a loooong time. Those of you who are MSI members will get some other specifics of the meeting in future MSI updates.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Anyone email the new boy wonder Congressman Kratovil and ask his opinion on this bill?

Seems to me an excellent chance to pin this guy to the wall on something.

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    Anyone email the new boy wonder Congressman Kratovil and ask his opinion on this bill?

Seems to me an excellent chance to pin this guy to the wall on something.

If no one else does it, i'll send an Email tonight. :thumbsup:

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    If no one else does it, i'll send an Email tonight. :thumbsup:

I did yesterday, but no response. I may have overplayed my hand by not simply asking for his position on it and instead asked for his opposition to it.:facepalm:

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    I will also give it a whirl this weekend and just ask for his opinion. At least he will know people are paying attention for now. Once his opinion is know we can deal with whatever it may be.

shawn

Oct 23, 2007
    I had lunch with John Sigler today thanks to John Josselyn, Legislative VP of AGC..

Does the name sound familiar? NRA President, John Sigler.

He thinks, like most of us do that this bill will likely go nowher again this year. But what he'd like to see is gun owners stand up NOW and go on the offensive and pound the living crap out of this bill.

Since we discussed a lot of Md specific issues, this bill didn't get much discussion today, but he seemed pretty clear about this bill getting special attention from gun owners. I wish we'd had more time to discuss specifics about it.

By the way, I have a lot of respect for this man. He had some great insight on things and he's been at it for a loooong time. Those of you who are MSI members will get some other specifics of the meeting in future MSI updates.
    Spot,

Are you serious? You had lunch with president of the NRA and are only going to tell us vaguely what you talked about?

Please.....we need more:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom