• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    So, did I get the only out of spec RRA receiver ever produced, or what? I've never heard of it.

I finally took my new build to the range today, and everything was good...as long as I used PMags. They snapped into place just fine. Then I tried a regular GI mag, and it just would not load. So, I brought it home, compared it to other ARs that I have, and spotted the problem. The receiver is out of spec. I'll let the photo below explain what is wrong. Notice the metal lip which is what the GI mags are hitting. I tried this lower on another known good upper, and it had the same problem. This sucks. :sad20:

Both of the uppers that I tried on this receiver are also Rock River.

Does anyone have any good tips on how to remove takedown pins once they are installed?

Attachments

• outofspec.jpg
      outofspec.jpg
      32.7 KB · Views: 285

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Does anyone have any good tips on how to remove takedown pins once they are installed?

There is a hole in the back of the takedown pin(towards the front of the magwell) Pull the takedown pin all the way out, use a punch through that hole to push down the detent, then slide the pin the rest of the way out :thumbsup:

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Looks like that lower might just be "THE" candidate to beta test E.Shell's new lathe.......:innocent0

So, did I get the only out of spec RRA receiver ever produced, or what? I've never heard of it.

I finally took my new build to the range today, and everything was good...as long as I used PMags. They snapped into place just fine. Then I tried a regular GI mag, and it just would not load. So, I brought it home, compared it to other ARs that I have, and spotted the problem. The receiver is out of spec. I'll let the photo below explain what is wrong. Notice the metal lip which is what the GI mags are hitting. I tried this lower on another known good upper, and it had the same problem. This sucks. :sad20:

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Didn't you get those RRA's all the way out in BFE Va? Maybe that's where the out-o-spec ones go?

Yep. I'm sure he saw that I was from MD I figured I wouldn't know the difference. :)

I bought two RRA receivers from him, which have very close serial numbers, and the other one is in spec. Go figure. I think the one that I pictured above was the last one on the RRA production line at 4:59PM on a Friday.

Maryland_Shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 8, 2008
    Glen Arm

Had the same problem with a lower. Called Ken's Outdoors, but since he had my $, he never called back and owes me a freaking bag as well. I do not like the guy and will NEVER buy squat from him again.

Anyway, called RRA- they sent a call tag, replaced the lower and were VERY fast about it (less than 10 days).

They will send an invoice showing the lower returned and lower shipped with the serial numbers with the new lower.

Just make sure you fax and mail a copy to MSP so they can update their records (if there is a record that is).

I found them to be VERY customer friendly and will be buying a 6.8 upper from them soon.

Don't waste your time with a DIY approach. They stand behind their products cheerfully.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I'm very sure RRA stands behind their work.....But it's MUCH more fun to try and DIY- especially when it's NOT my lower:D

But I will stand by my comment because I have a Superior lower that won't take a 9mm mag block and I WILL be doing a DIY approach to remedy that.

Had the same problem with a lower. Called Ken's Outdoors, but since he had my $, he never called back and owes me a freaking bag as well. I do not like the guy and will NEVER buy squat from him again.

Anyway, called RRA- they sent a call tag, replaced the lower and were VERY fast about it (less than 10 days).

They will send an invoice showing the lower returned and lower shipped with the serial numbers with the new lower.

Just make sure you fax and mail a copy to MSP so they can update their records (if there is a record that is).

I found them to be VERY customer friendly and will be buying a 6.8 upper from them soon.

Don't waste your time with a DIY approach. They stand behind their products cheerfully.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Well, suck. I just swapped the pivot pin and mag catch to my other RRA receiver that I ordered at the same time as the one listed above, and it is out of spec as well. Their serial numbers are less than 90 apart. I tried 3 different uppers on this receiver, and all experienced the same problem. It is defienetly the receivers. What are the freakin' odds??? :banghead:

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I'm very sure RRA stands behind their work.....But it's MUCH more fun to try and DIY- especially when it's NOT my lower:D

That ledge that you see in the picture above is part of the upper, not the lower. I would have to grind down the upper, which is built to spec, as it works on every other receiver I have. The problem with the lower is that it seems that the mag well is a fraction of an inch too far forward, which means that it doesn't like up with the upper correctly. This is one of those problems that there is no DIY approach that would work, short of grinding down a perfectly good upper.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    That ledge that you see in the picture above is part of the upper, not the lower. I would have to grind down the upper, which is built to spec, as it works on every other receiver I have. The problem with the lower is that it seems that the mag well is a fraction of an inch too far forward, which means that it doesn't like up with the upper correctly. This is one of those problems that there is no DIY approach that would work, short of grinding down a perfectly good upper.

Gotcha!

kac

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2007
    No way I'd be grinding on a perfectly functional part to make it work with a dysfunctional part.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    At the range yesterday, ylfotevoli and I figured out he has the same problem with his RRA AR. He got it a few months ago, do you think RRA will still swap out the lower?

BlindViper

Mar 15, 2007
    felton, pennsylvania
    It could be a DIY fix you would have to drill the front pivot pin and rear take down hole bigger and install a bushings with a asymmetrical hole to move the lower to the rear. But I would still call RRA.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I just spoke with a rep at Rock River, and I get the feeling that this is a known issue and that they had a bad batch. When I told him what the problem was he didn't ask any questions, he just set me up with an RMA number. I asked him if he was familiar with this problem, and he said "yes, we've had some reports of this nature", but that is all that he would say. He didn't even think that it was odd that I had two of them with the same problem. Anyway, so far their customer service seems top notch. He set it up so that UPS will be at my house tomorrow, prepaid, to pick them up and they will send out new ones ASAP.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    3 cheers for RRA customer service. I called RRA about this issue last Monday. They dispatched a UPS driver to my house with a pre-paid shipping label on Tuesday. The package arrived at RRA on Friday. I just received a UPS notification that my replacement receivers are in transit and will be at my door later this week. It doesn't get much better than that! :thumbsup:

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    3 cheers for RRA customer service. I called RRA about this issue last Monday. They dispatched a UPS driver to my house with a pre-paid shipping label on Tuesday. The package arrived at RRA on Friday. I just received a UPS notification that my replacement receivers are in transit and will be at my door later this week. It doesn't get much better than that! :thumbsup:

At your door or your FFL's door? Or did they make you a new reciever with the same serial #?

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    At your door or your FFL's door? Or did they make you a new reciever with the same serial #?

At my door. I asked both RRA and Springfield Armory about this, and they both gave me the same answer. They said that Federal law permits a non-FFL to ship a firearm for repair as long as the firearm (or exact replacement) is returned to the same address. I'm not sure about SA, but RRA said that they will include a letter that is meant to be sent to MSP stating that the receivers were replaced due to manufacturing defects and they will list the old and new serial numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom