• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    You don't have to clean the gas system. It's like a car exhause system but without emission controls.

If you are worried about obstructions you can use .080 weed eater line as a gauge and insert it into the gas tune from time to time to check for build up or obstructions

And if there were build up, how would one go about clearing it? I can see .080 weed eater line disturbing carbon and creating a blockage.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    They make pipe cleaners for gas tubes to clean them. Spray some carbon cleaner in there, soak the pipe cleaner and run it through the tube a few times.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    And or Clandestine’s comment, I don’t have THAT much AR experience (Gerri Amy not nearly as much as he does), but the tube and block are under a LOT of pressure. It is self cleaning to a large degree. You are a lot more likely to erode the gas port long before you are likely to suffer blockages of the tube. Unless something gets in there that should be there, like sand or something.

One semi exception is 22lr converted ARs (not 22lr native as those have no gas port!). The unjacketed rounds can end up leading up the gas port after a couple/few hundred rounds. This is not a concern with anything other than a 22lr conversion and even with a conversion it won’t be an issue unless you convert it back to .223 and try firing it.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    OK, thanks guys. This is my first gas gun and I don't want my tendency to tinker to cause me to do stupid things. Unless I start having problems I'll just leave it alone.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    So you are saying that resting the rifle on the mag was what was causing the original issue?
    every 2nd or 3rd round on subsequent mag failed to fire and needed "persuasion" to retract the bolt to eject the unspent round

or you encountered a new feeding issue related to resting the rifle on the mag, but dod not encounter the original issue?

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    No. the original issue was caused by lack of lubrication. The manufacturer said lube was not required and I foolishly believed them. Perhaps after there are a couple thousand rounds through the weapon and the parts have mated together lube will no longer be required, but I plan to lightly lube anyway, just like I do for my handguns.

Resting on the mag caused double feeding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom