What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Didn't do anything at the bench, but my order showed up with 100 Lapua Scenar bullets, some competition shellholders and an OAL gauge with comparators... Trying to dial in even more.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Didn't do anything at the bench, but my order showed up with 100 Lapua Scenar bullets, some competition shellholders and an OAL gauge with comparators... Trying to dial in even more.

If you are getting serious about group sizes, look into a full length bushing die. It will full length size the case and you can choose the neck size to the .001" so that you can vary your neck tensions.

Im not an expert but I'm convinced that most of the accuracy comes from the neck/neck tension. Im not a fan of sonic cleaners because it removes are the carbon inside the neck that would normally provide a "lube" so to speak. Heck, I actually lube the inside of my necks and bullets before seating them for consistency.

Good luck in your search, I hope they all go through the same hole for you!

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    If you are getting serious about group sizes, look into a full length bushing die. It will full length size the case and you can choose the neck size to the .001" so that you can vary your neck tensions.

Im not an expert but I'm convinced that most of the accuracy comes from the neck/neck tension. Im not a fan of sonic cleaners because it removes are the carbon inside the neck that would normally provide a "lube" so to speak. Heck, I actually lube the inside of my necks and bullets before seating them for consistency.

Good luck in your search, I hope they all go through the same hole for you!

My long range time has increased so much that I barely touch any other gun in my collection. I'm also looking at putting on a new barrel. But working with the sizing die and OAL is my next goal. I use a tumbler for my cleaning and always lube the inside because the press seems to snag if I don't. I can't figure out why it does when every video I've seen it seems people don't lube the inside of the neck. It drives me nuts and I end up having to recheck each casing to make sure nothing stretch when it hangs up.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Here's another primer for those who are new.

https://forum.snipershide.com/threads/reloading-101-reloading-basics-for-the-new-reload.100/

Also, our own DA here has a really fantastic overview that is stickied at the top of the reloading forum. Definitely check that out.

It can seem very overwhelming when you're first starting out. There's a lot of tools and dies, and in the back of your head you're thinking "man, I sure don't want to blow my gun and myself up!"

There are a lot of "rabbit holes" in brass prep and die set up one can go down, and a lot of tools you can spend a ton of cash on to either speed up or help squeeze a fraction of more accuracy out of your ammo.

Don't let that discourage you, the basic reloading process is actually pretty simple and it's very easy to make your own reliable and accurate ammo. It's not uncommon for "cheaper" presses and dies to be able to make match quality ammo or better.

Like a lot of hobbies however, the more you get into it, the more you "get into it" if you catch my drift.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Also, our own DA here has a really fantastic overview that is stickied at the top of the reloading forum. Definitely check that out.

:party29:

Thanks buddy. I'm sure you know how much time I spent on getting those threads going. I'm just happy that it helps people get into reloading safely and that fellow members recommend them as a good place to start. Never went for the recognition, just wanted to help people.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    That's not too far away from where I am. I'm in the Hereford zone. Happy to help out if you'd like.

It's not rocket science, but you absolutely need to be careful and pay attention to what you're doing.

Definitely recommend getting a reloading manual (or a couple) and do a little reading beforehand.

PM me if you want to get together.

Are you going to preach the goodenss of the Blue Kool-Aid?

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Are you going to preach the goodenss of the Blue Kool-Aid?

Hah! Unfortunately for me, I haven't taken the dive yet. Too much money being spent buying components etc.

I'm generally a single stage reloader as most of what I shoot is rifle and I'm OCD about concentricity.

I'm a Forster Co-Ax guy, but do use an auto indexing turret press for 45 ACP. Not a Dillon, but faster than the Forster and fine for pistol.

Although, I won't lie...I get the Dillon catalog with the hottie on the front in the mail every so often and I think to myself I really outta get a 550 some day.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Hah! Unfortunately for me, I haven't taken the dive yet. Too much money being spent buying components etc.

I'm generally a single stage reloader as most of what I shoot is rifle and I'm OCD about concentricity.

I'm a Forster Co-Ax guy, but do use an auto indexing turret press for 45 ACP. Not a Dillon, but faster than the Forster and fine for pistol.

Although, I won't lie...I get the Dillon catalog with the hottie on the front in the mail every so often and I think to myself I really outta get a 550 some day.
    Get one and you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner. I'm maintaining 1/1000th of an inch for tolerances on my match grade ammo on the 550 on progressive mode.

If you want to get some lever time on one, let me know, I'd be happy to turn you lose with it.

HD1200S

May 6, 2013
    Range Brass

Sorted 2 gallons of range brass. With all the rain it was muddy so then I cleaned it. It is now drying and will be de-primed and rotary tumbled.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Get one and you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner. I'm maintaining 1/1000th of an inch for tolerances on my match grade ammo on the 550 on progressive mode.

If you want to get some lever time on one, let me know, I'd be happy to turn you lose with it.

Can't argue with those results! I'm quite certain that'd lead to the draining of my savings account :D

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Big Blue is only used for the .260, can't believe I made do with what I was using previously for so long.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Got my hands on some 150gr 6.5CM bullets. These will be jumping about .200" if I load to mag length. I know some AR guys jump them that far but I'm a little concerned.

Guess load testing will prove if viable or not. If not 147gr will work fine.

These things look like VLDs, over 1.5" long

Well did some testing and these shot horrible, 1" or so not acceptable. Think it's too big of a jump....gonna try to NOT load to mag length and see how they do.

Long range challenge stuff I can single fed right?

The good news is the 147gr shot about .4" so I can run those if needed

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Well I had installed my two benches and today mounted the press. Almost the way I want it. The xtreme boxes are empty, about 18 months of chootin, if anyone can use them let me know, wondering what the recycle guys will say when they see them haha. I need to find door and drawer pulls, .50 cal round attached by belt link is too big otherwise that is a very sturdy cherry bench top. I installed an extra window and can shoot (bb-gun) out both.

Attachments

• IMG_4451.jpg
      IMG_4451.jpg
      106.9 KB · Views: 226
    • IMG_4461.jpg
      IMG_4461.jpg
      91.7 KB · Views: 200
    • IMG_4454.jpg
      IMG_4454.jpg
      60 KB · Views: 209
    • IMG_4457.jpg
      IMG_4457.jpg