• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spur

May 1, 2011
    Harford County
    No real reason I can state, but my gut feeling is that you will get failure to chamber problems or extract issues. I would suspect that the generous military barrel chambering might create enough small dimension differences to cause problems. A commercial quality barrel with a well polished chamber might make a difference. I have never had luck with neck sizing except with bolt guns with single load slow fire, and I small base resize for my ARs.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Nope.

ETA: I see you wanted a teason. My bad.

Bolt.action guns are different in that you can apply force as needed to close on a round.

An Ar15 relies on spring force to chamber.

The case is extracted under pressure which causes it to be deformed more.

Last edited:

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    An AR round has to freely enter the chamber.

Neck sizing only works for bolt guns because you can cam, squoze, the case into the chamber using the leverage of the bolt handle.

***DO NOT*** attempt to reload AR rounds by neck sizing only.

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    Yeah, I use small base dies for my AR reloading and have always been pretty much operating under the premise that tolerances with the AR won't permit neck sizing. I also use a Wilson drop in gauge to check everything and have had Zero failures to feed/extract.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    For neck sizing to be effective, the case neck needs to be turned to consistent dimensions or you are just wasting time.
    Reason being, if the case neck is thicker on one side than it is on the opposite side, you induce run out and the bullet enters the rifling offset to the centerline of the bore.
    Cases without uniform neck dimension will have varying amounts of tension holding the bullet. This results in different chamber pressures and more velocity spread.
    The AR platform is not like a bench rest rifle and does not have the tighter tolerances due to the necessity of the manner in which the rifle is designed to function.
    As long as the case neck is turned and the proper tension to hold the bullet is there, as well as sizing the body of the case so that rounds will feed properly, neck sizing is an option. Question is, is all that extra work worth the end result? In my opinion, probably not.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The same applies to full length resizing.

And full length resizing die normally uses a sizing button to set the inside neck dimension for similar neck tension.

You are confusing neck sizing only with bushing sizing of the neck.

Bushing sizing uses a specific bushing to set the outside neck diameter, requiring a consistent neck thickness for the same inside diameter.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    With inconsistent neck thickness, there is a tendency for the expander ball to , for want of a better word, drag the neck toward one side inducing run out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom