Join MD Shooters

Old November 5th, 2010, 08:55 AM #31
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to SOMDSHOOT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ 30-06 View Post
Ok, so I have six backstraps, and four hind quarters. Deer jerky is a done deal with some of the hinds. Looking for suggestions for preparing and cooking meat to minimize gamey flavor and maximize tenderness. I've heard a million suggestions, from soaking in milk to marinating in vinegar to getting hunter's gravy packets to cooking in bacon grease. How bout posting your best recipes and preparations?
Marinate with Worcestershire sauce, Soy sauce, Browning sauce, garlic salt, black pepper, onion spice, and a pinch of ground red pepper. Add enough water to cover bottom of a crock pot, set on low and walk away for 2 hours. Deer is super low in fat and if you cook it fast, you can play a few quarters of basketball with it later.

I'm not sure about the "gamey flavor" part, I was born eating deer, so, that means nothing. If it tastes gamey, it was not marinated right. You can marinate deer for about 48 hours. I usually marinate it minimum 48 when I make jerky. Making jerky is fun / expensive, but, fun. If you want make jerky or burgers, go buy a Waring Pro MG100 meat grinder and make jerky and burgers. I use my MG100 and that thing is just badass.

You can also use the dry gravy packets at 1 packet per pound of deer as a curing mix for your jerky and this gives the taste impression of being beef, I use the same as a dry rub for cooking loins on the grill and you can also use the dry gravy as a rub for use in the crock pot, just don't pour water over the meat or you defeat the purpose of the dry rub, don't wash it off in other words.
SOMDSHOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 09:04 AM #32
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly3J View Post
This marinade is great for pretty much any cut. It's fantastic with the backstraps.

-1/4 C olive oil
-2 Tbsp soy sauce
-2 Tsp Montreal Steak seasoning
My wife bought some of this Montreal seasoning, I think it's a Mc Cormick product ?, and personally, I think it has about 95% Salt in it. We use the spices and rubs from Pampered Chef and the nice thing about their spices is, you use a lot less of it, for a lot more flavoring. Their Southwest and Asian rubs give some serious new light to deer meat.
SOMDSHOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 09:12 AM #33

Last edited by Lapua Dan; July 29th, 2012 at 08:17 PM.
Lapua Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 03:26 PM #34

HOLY SMOKES BATMAN... Backstraps are the best thing in the world! cooking for 40 minutes? a little salt, pepper, throw on the grill for maybe 4-5 minutes on each side depending on how thick you cut them. Serve rare-medium rare!!!! Perfection! My family doesn't care much for the steaks and roasts so now I get the backstraps and tenderloin and have the rest ground into burger. My butcher adds 10 percent beef fat to the burger so they can barely tell the difference now.
onedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 11:53 PM #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedash View Post
HOLY SMOKES BATMAN... Backstraps are the best thing in the world! cooking for 40 minutes? a little salt, pepper, throw on the grill for maybe 4-5 minutes on each side depending on how thick you cut them. Serve rare-medium rare!!!! Perfection! My family doesn't care much for the steaks and roasts so now I get the backstraps and tenderloin and have the rest ground into burger. My butcher adds 10 percent beef fat to the burger so they can barely tell the difference now.
Way to resurrect and 8 year old thread. It’s going to be a little chewy having sat in the freezer that long.

I prefer my backstraps with a nice molasses glaze with a little ketchup, some worchester sauce and a few drops of cider vinegar. Glaze it up, then wrap it in turkey bacon (holds the juices better than pork bacon). Grill it on the lowest heat for about 50 minutes and serve it up sliced thin.

My wife is okay on venison. She enjoys ground. Everything else is meh. Except back straps. I was going to donate the last deer of the season to a neighbor both because I had plenty in the freezer and my neighbor also had had no luck getting out so far. That and my wife threatened me if I brought home any more (we had about 80lbs in the freezer at that point and that is a SOLID years worth if not more for us).

But she goes, “wait, you are going to keep the backstraps though...right?”
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2018, 11:58 AM #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Grill it on the lowest heat for about 50 minutes and serve it up sliced thin.
50 Minutes on what kind of grill??? How low is the temp? Is it indirect heat?
onedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2018, 12:17 PM #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Way to resurrect and 8 year old thread. ....
LOL . Avatar named Lazarus... resurrect.... ok, I found that funny.

And since the thread is alive again, my 2c while I'm here.

I'd agree with most of the thread, backstraps go right on the grill. The rest I had two separate butchers I'd take the meat too. One made a fantastic ring bologna that was a great substitute for peperoni on pizzas. The other made jerky and a summer sausage. The rest I'd grind and mix with ground pork for hamburger patties.
scout6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2018, 12:26 PM #38

My best backstrap to date. Coarse salt, pepper, garlic powder (1 to 1 to .5 ratio). Enough olive oil added to make a paste. Rub on outside of backstrap. Smoke on smoker at 235 degrees until internal temp hits 130-135. Wrap in aluminum foil and let rest for half an hour. Slice thin. It’s absolutely amazing. Took it to a Christmas party and people thought it was a cut of filet.
PoPo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2018, 12:31 PM #39

Send a message via MSN to wilcam47 Send a message via Yahoo to wilcam47

Quote:
we dont even add fat to ground venison. Depends on the cut like you said but I go 1minute 30sec to 1min 45 for a perfect medium rare. approximately 1/2" cut.

Air Force Veteran--20yrs 14 days
wilcam47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2018, 12:32 PM #40

Quote:
50 Minutes on what kind of grill??? How low is the temp? Is it indirect heat?
that would be a briquette!

Air Force Veteran--20yrs 14 days
wilcam47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Recreational Shooting