best (legal) way to get a target/old school ar15?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • martman

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2017
    I'm some-what new to the area and looking to get my first AR15. I'm a target shooter looking for a plinker. Nothing tacticoo. I wouldn't mind a plain jane a2.

Any recommendations? Gun shops or gun shows? So far every place sounds super hunter or super tacticool, nothing up my alley.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    You can't have an A2 in Md post oct 2013. Heavy barrels only.

You could get one in that style with a fixed stock if it had a heavy barrel and not A2 profile. They are around

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    A Colt Target HBAR is a very good choice for you
    These are all used and available at local gunshops or Gunbroker.
    Another choice is an Colt AR15A3 (Colt 6721). They are also pretty easy to find. I believe they just stopped making this model. There is one for sale in the classifieds right now. https://www.mdshooters.com/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=37134
    FWIW my 6721 is my favorite rifle and capable of much better accuracy than I am.
    Wyndham Weaponry also makes a great rifle.

Last edited:

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    You can't have an A2 in Md post oct 2013. Heavy barrels only.

You could get one in that style with a fixed stock if it had a heavy barrel and not A2 profile. They are around

The designation A2 refers to the version with carry handle w/ iron sights. I believe you meant the light contour GI barrel version when you said it is illegal. The A2 version of an AR is perfectly legal as long as the barrel is HBAR.
    OP, FYI, the A4 version, picatinny rail flat top, is good for mounting a scope. Detachable carry handles w/ iron sights are available for those.

jrh0341

Jul 20, 2017
    If you just want a plain jane A2 that's easy. Your best bets it you just want an A2 configuration are

Wyndham Weaponry

Armalite-Eagle

Ruger (not sure if they offer an HBAR version)

(I'm not including S&W M&P because even though they fit in this category, I am not aware of a MD legal version they offer)

Palmetto State Armory (PSA)

Now, the truest, milsurpiest of all would be an actual Colt HBAR sporter, but the market rates I've seen for those are actually pretty high.

A wyndham, ruger or armalite shouldn't run you more than 550$ retail, and realistically, you can snag one closer to 400-450 if you do your homework.

Now, the PSA option, you can pick up a complete rifle from them, with basic A2 style handguards and a fixed front A2 sight for 400ish any day of the week. You can "build" one for even less with one of their parts kits. Middle ground, you pick up a completed upper for 200$, a completed lower for 150$, get them shipped to you, and bam. All you have to do is click them together. 350$ fully functional rifle. Of course the additional fees for you would be a rear sight (if they don't come with a good one. You can find a good iron sight or carry handle with sight assembly for 50 bucks.) and transfer fee (the lower part of the rifle is still considered the "firearm" so it can't ship to you. It has to go to a dealer who will charge you another 30-40 bucks to call in the background check and sign your forms).

End of the day, an online buy + ffl is probably going to beat the prices you'll find at most LGS counters

PSA is considered a "budget" option, but a reputable one. You might not try to any regional competitions with it, but for the "an AR is an AR" crowd, a PSA rifle is going to show up on time, work like its supposed to, and not have any quality control issues.

One last thing, the most common length sold seems to be 16" by a pretty wide margin, but if truly want an old school/target rifle, you might want to look for an 18 or 20". Again, if you decide to go PSA that's easy enough, they offer a bunch of different lengths.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Del-Ton makes an HBAR with an A2 front sight base. Price is going to be $650 or so.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    If you just want a plain jane A2 that's easy. Your best bets it you just want an A2 configuration are

Wyndham Weaponry

Armalite-Eagle

Ruger (not sure if they offer an HBAR version)

(I'm not including S&W M&P because even though they fit in this category, I am not aware of a MD legal version they offer)

Palmetto State Armory (PSA)

Now, the truest, milsurpiest of all would be an actual Colt HBAR sporter, but the market rates I've seen for those are actually pretty high.

A wyndham, ruger or armalite shouldn't run you more than 550$ retail, and realistically, you can snag one closer to 400-450 if you do your homework.

Now, the PSA option, you can pick up a complete rifle from them, with basic A2 style handguards and a fixed front A2 sight for 400ish any day of the week. You can "build" one for even less with one of their parts kits. Middle ground, you pick up a completed upper for 200$, a completed lower for 150$, get them shipped to you, and bam. All you have to do is click them together. 350$ fully functional rifle. Of course the additional fees for you would be a rear sight (if they don't come with a good one. You can find a good iron sight or carry handle with sight assembly for 50 bucks.) and transfer fee (the lower part of the rifle is still considered the "firearm" so it can't ship to you. It has to go to a dealer who will charge you another 30-40 bucks to call in the background check and sign your forms).

End of the day, an online buy + ffl is probably going to beat the prices you'll find at most LGS counters

PSA is considered a "budget" option, but a reputable one. You might not try to any regional competitions with it, but for the "an AR is an AR" crowd, a PSA rifle is going to show up on time, work like its supposed to, and not have any quality control issues.

Ruger does make an HBAR. It's a budget option - got a few non-standard parts like a plastic handguard ring, and an odd front sight.

pp55ftw

Jan 8, 2019
    Build an AR pistol lower...avoid the silly barrel requirement and order a complete upper. If you go with PSA you could get a lower for 29.99, a lower parts kit with brace for 120, and a complete upper w/bcg for 350 whole cost with transfer fees little over 500

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Since you want the A2 look, but it has to be HBAR and just want it for target shooting, you could go straight to a National Match AR. A lot of competitors are ditching their A2s for A4s since the rules started allowing optics a few years ago in competition. Unlike a stock A2, you'll have a float tube under the handguard and finer sights. I saw a complete White Oak National Match A2 upper last week for $400 shipped on another forum.

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    Most factory 20in barreled full stock rifles with the integral A2 carry handle will be HBARs of some sort.

This was the "standard" configuration for AR15's back when dinosaurs walked the earth (the '90s).

Today these rifles sell at a discount - everybody wants the CAR stock, flat top uppers and 16 in. bbls.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    True A2 = 20in bbl , * A2 profile * ( heavier than previous A1 profile , but not HBAR ) , Fixed front sight base with A2 style front sight pin ( different from A1 ), , intregal handle , with A2 style rear sight ,round handgaurds , A2 fixed stock ( longer than A1) .

The catch is , a 20 in HBAR will be noticabley muzzle heavy . A 16in HBAR will have a balance reasonably close to an 20in A2 . Most commonly seen with an adjustable stock , but no reason an A2 style fixed stock couldn't be installed .

Actual A2 fixed uppers are now unusual , but if you just want to shoot using an A2 style rear sight , you can use a detachable handle .

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Ruger 8502 is the most basic, Ruger 8511 has a flash hider and adjustable stock.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm not sure that the OP realizes that in the current ERA , an A2 is quite Retro , and unusual to find . The most typical flavor to be commonly found is 16in flat top , adjustable stock . 50/50 chances of finding an A frame front sight assy , and no front sight is becoming more common

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    A Colt Target HBAR is a very good choice for you
    These are all used and available at local gunshops or Gunbroker.
    Another choice is an Colt AR15A3 (Colt 6721). They are also pretty easy to find. I believe they just stopped making this model. There is one for sale in the classifieds right now. https://www.mdshooters.com/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=37134
    FWIW my 6721 is my favorite rifle and capable of much better accuracy than I am.
    Wyndham Weaponry also makes a great rifle.

Yes on all counts.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Colt Sporter Match HBAR - #R6601
    A2 Configuration. 20" HBAR 1:7 twist

When I screwed up my back, I bought one like what I stated above, and put my M1 Garand away (in the safe).

VERY accurate rifle. It'll hold 3 shots inside a dime (5/8") at 100 yards, before my eyesight started going bad.
    I have pics on my laptop, at home.

The "post-Klinton-ban" AR in the same configuration (without flash suppressor) is just as accurate.

My R6601 is a pre-ban rifle.

I haven't shot it in about 6 years. It's resting comfortably in my safe.

Due to aging eyes, I added a scope and a "Delta" cheekpiece to the rifle.
    Yes, it's heavy, but, it SHOOTS!

I've been offered 2x and 3x what I paid for it, but, it's not for sale.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Groups mentioned in previous post.

The 'grid' target was fired from an Uncle Bud's "Bull's Bag".
    SCSC range. 100 yards. Open sights. Handloads using H-335 and Sierra 69 gr MatchKings.
    A good friend was spotting for me, and when he saw this group of three shots, he yelled, and told me to stop!
    He didn't want me to 'screw up' a good group!

The second group was shot prone, with TIGHT sling. 100 yards. MR-31C target.

Attachments

• R6601 - 100 yds - handloads.jpg
      R6601 - 100 yds - handloads.jpg
      26.4 KB · Views: 211
    • CIMG0518 (1).jpg
      CIMG0518 (1).jpg
      26.2 KB · Views: 185

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Nice shooting...impressive with irons. I love iron sights...my eyes are getting fussy, though.

FWIW, the Ruger has a more slender Maryland accepted HBAR barrel. Something to consider when purchasing a carbine length AR. I have been tempted to purchase on for that reason alone (plus I do like Rugers) but I have a couple too many AR's now.

Meditator

Dec 9, 2007
    Bethesda MD
    The Ruger 556 feels lighter for HBar 16” barrel config compared to others.

Also look for lightly Used Complete upper either Bushmaster or Colt post-ban (no bayo lug, no FH) Hbar barrel , they are out there for around $300 with chrome lined barrel and BCG. Just got two complete uppers at that price recently, not the same time, Colt A3 16” barrel, and Bushmaster A2 20” barrel.

Then assemble you own on $50 lower from Gymratz. The total for you should be around $450 or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom