• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scottb2A

Gun addict
    Jul 7, 2019
    WA/MD
    I’m active duty military and I’m moving from Washington state to Maryland very soon. I have acquired numerous firearms while in Washington and I’m trying to rap my head around all the BS laws. First off, most of my firearms I have built myself, to include: AR-15 pistol (5.56) 10.5in barrel, AR-15 (5.56) 16in barrel, AR-10 (.308) 16in barrel, AK-47 (not built), and recently acquired a dedicated 9mm stripped lower (glock) that I plan on building into a pistol with brace. All other firearms are either legal or need to be registered once I establish residency. My question is about my black scary guns which have been built after 2014. I have read where active military may be exempt from certain actions but can’t find it in black and white. I’m looking into buying HBARs for my AR-15s and outfitting them prior to entry. Is my AR-10 legal as is? Please provide links if possible. Thanks in advance. Also I hope to meet some like minded people once I get there so anything about memberships, meetings, etc would be greatly appreciated.

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    IANAL but...

AR10's with any profile barrel are legal.
    AR15's that are Pistols or Piston with any profile are legal.
    AR15's that are Rifle or Carbine and DI need to be HBAR.
    Unsure on AK47, but I think they are all banned, someone will surely correct me there if im wrong.

Last edited:

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    As I understand the law anything purchased after October 2013 needs to be compliant with the Firearms Safety Act ie. Not banned.

Good luck and welcome. Hopefully see you around!

Scottb2A

Gun addict
    Jul 7, 2019
    WA/MD
    IANAL but...

AR10 with any profile barrel and Pistol or Piston AR15's with any profile are legal.
    AR15's that are Rifle or Carbine and DI need to be HBAR.
    Unsure on AK47, but I think they are all banned, someone will surely correct me there if im wrong.

So the AR10 has to have piston impingement to be legal? Thought I read that as long as it is not AR-15 .223/5.56 that it is not on the ban list and therefore legal. Not aware of any other regulations for AR10 platform but I could be very wrong. Also now aware that all AK platforms are panned which sucks ass because mine has been my new found love. Guess I’ll just have to keep her out of state.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Must have been punctuation issues .

All AR-10 good .

All AK default banned , unless specifically listed on the Approved list .

pp55ftw

Jan 8, 2019
    Same boat as you. Out of state resident, stationed in MD, living in Virginia. AR Pistols are gtg (no HBAR required), provided the lowers were bought as a "firearm" and not rifle. You can bring your AR15s dissembled and look into HBARs here. One advantage that was discussed in the other thread was if you are stationed at Andrews Virginia is literally 15mins across the river so if you can get housing there you are fine. Just keep in mind that you must have a VA DL to buy any firearms in Virginia, no exceptions. If you end up wanting to buy any guns you will be considered a MD resident because of your orders. We are exempt from any HQL requirements. MD isn't too bad tbh (I'm from CA), its only the silly AR laws that are a hassle. You can't buy "hi-cap" magazine in MD but you are allowed to own them so just go to Virginia and you are fine. Maryland state police is a good starting point for what is legal and what is not-https://licensingportal.mdsp.maryland.gov/MSPBridgeClient/#/home

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    Per standard practice, someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand from reading and in discussion with several of the Fort Meade gun sales department, if you bring firearms with you, registration is voluntary. Also, IANAL.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I’m active duty military and I’m moving from Washington state to Maryland very soon....Also I hope to meet some like minded people once I get there so anything about memberships, meetings, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Where in MD? If you're headed for Pax River, Sanner's Lake Sportsman Club is the big venue. I'd recommend applying for membership immediately, there's a waiting list.

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    RU coming from Lewis or McCord? Where are you being stationed here, Detrick, APG, Fort Meade, etc..... Please provide more information.
    V

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    Must have been punctuation issues .

All AR-10 good .

All AK default banned , unless specifically listed on the Approved list .

Yeah it was late and just got home from 12hours on the road and range time with 5 relatives who were shooting guns for their first time ever (they live overseas) lol

Edited now to fix

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    If your indeed stationed at Andrews and want to go to Myrtle Grove I would be happy to show you where it is/shoot a bit with you if you want. I live just south of Andrews and go to Myrtle Grove a few times a month.

For local ranges, you have a few choices. (drive times assume living on base housing or right outside the base)

Myrtle Grove, outdoor, 100yd max CHEAP $5 for 1 hour, but if no ones waiting you can stay longer)(or $20 for 1 year unlimited trips) Weekends are usually really busy, mid week usually plenty of room there.
    Its about 35-50 minutes south of Andrews AFB depending on traffic through Waldorf/Brandywine area. (Range there is CLOSED until August 20 2019 though)

Maryland Small Arms Range, Indoors, 50yd Rifle/Shotgun, 25yd Pistol
    Its pretty much right next to Andrews, maybe 10 min drive.
    (I have never personally used the range here, but have visited and looked nice. I prefer outdoor ranges.)

Freds Outdoors, Indoors, I believe its 20yds maybe 25yds, No Shotguns
    Its 15-20 min south of Andrews
    (I avoid the store, had some bad experiences there. Used the old range around 10 or so years ago, havent been since)

Your also fairly close to AGC (hour to hour and a half drive north), and Delmarva Sporting Clays (2 hours-ish to the South East on the Eastern Shore)

As far as stores theres a bunch. My Favorites (I know im leaving some off.)
    For Magazines and accessories:
    Proven Arms In Woodbridge VA, Hour-ish drive from Andrews.
    Big Dogs Outfitters A bit of a drive from Andrews, Hour and a half or so south.

For Fireams:
    The AAFES on Andrews is pretty nicely stocked, as is the one at Ft Meade (45min or so North) (Hector and Jaiyen are really good at the Andrews AAFES)
    Gymratz, very good prices, very nice people running the place and they can order most anything in my experience. They are also an IP here. About 40min south/southeast.
    Engage Armament are also really good, 45min to 1hour+ north of Andrews depending on traffic/time of day. Lots of AR stuff and Handguns and parts. (Also an IP here)
    United Gun Shop seemed nice as well, only been there once though. Its really close to Engage so if you go to one you should stop at the other as well in same trip to check them out)

(Be sure to take a look at the Industry Partners Forum for others as well. (IP is Industry Partners)

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Active duty military does NOT have a register anything. Unless they are stupid enough to establish MD residency.

If it was purchased/built after 9/30/13, it must not be on the banned list, as they cannot be brought into the state in any capacity. Military are NOT exempt.

If you have non-HBAR ARs that are post 9/30/13, just taking them apart and bringing them in, may not be OK. Up to you if you want to take the chance, but unless you have an HBAR upper for them, it could be problematic.

AK are banned post 9/30/13

Those firearms purchased or build before 10/1/13 are OK.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Fred's range is 50 feet . ( Because the range was retrofitted into existing building, and that's the longest that would fit .)

pp55ftw

Jan 8, 2019
    Active duty military does NOT have a register anything. Unless they are stupid enough to establish MD residency.

If it was purchased/built after 9/30/13, it must not be on the banned list, as they cannot be brought into the state in any capacity. Military are NOT exempt.

If you have non-HBAR ARs that are post 9/30/13, just taking them apart and bringing them in, may not be OK. Up to you if you want to take the chance, but unless you have an HBAR upper for them, it could be problematic.

AK are banned post 9/30/13

Those firearms purchased or build before 10/1/13 are OK.

Not all military have a choice, especially if they don't/can't give up their home/state of record for family/personal reasons...or if they plan on PCSing to another state after their tour in MD. Therefore we just become "residents" of our duty station zip codes and have to comply with all MD laws.

Bringing in separated uppers/lowers is a grey/black area. I talked to MSP before I PCSed here and they said to just leave the non-HBAR. I went along cause I didn't want to deal with the hassle. Besides, I can build an AR pistol anyways and slap my uppers on those whenever. All legit and legal.

pp55ftw

Jan 8, 2019
    If your indeed stationed at Andrews and want to go to Myrtle Grove I would be happy to show you where it is/shoot a bit with you if you want. I live just south of Andrews and go to Myrtle Grove a few times a month.

For local ranges, you have a few choices. (drive times assume living on base housing or right outside the base)

Myrtle Grove, outdoor, 100yd max CHEAP $5 for 1 hour, but if no ones waiting you can stay longer)(or $20 for 1 year unlimited trips) Weekends are usually really busy, mid week usually plenty of room there.
    Its about 35-50 minutes south of Andrews AFB depending on traffic through Waldorf/Brandywine area. (Range there is CLOSED until August 20 2019 though)

Maryland Small Arms Range, Indoors, 50yd Rifle/Shotgun, 25yd Pistol
    Its pretty much right next to Andrews, maybe 10 min drive.
    (I have never personally used the range here, but have visited and looked nice. I prefer outdoor ranges.)

Freds Outdoors, Indoors, I believe its 20yds maybe 25yds, No Shotguns
    Its 15-20 min south of Andrews
    (I avoid the store, had some bad experiences there. Used the old range around 10 or so years ago, havent been since)

Your also fairly close to AGC (hour to hour and a half drive north), and Delmarva Sporting Clays (2 hours-ish to the South East on the Eastern Shore)

As far as stores theres a bunch. My Favorites (I know im leaving some off.)
    For Magazines and accessories:
    Proven Arms In Woodbridge VA, Hour-ish drive from Andrews.
    Big Dogs Outfitters A bit of a drive from Andrews, Hour and a half or so south.

For Fireams:
    The AAFES on Andrews is pretty nicely stocked, as is the one at Ft Meade (45min or so North) (Hector and Jaiyen are really good at the Andrews AAFES)
    Gymratz, very good prices, very nice people running the place and they can order most anything in my experience. They are also an IP here. About 40min south/southeast.
    Engage Armament are also really good, 45min to 1hour+ north of Andrews depending on traffic/time of day. Lots of AR stuff and Handguns and parts. (Also an IP here)
    United Gun Shop seemed nice as well, only been there once though. Its really close to Engage so if you go to one you should stop at the other as well in same trip to check them out)

(Be sure to take a look at the Industry Partners Forum for others as well. (IP is Industry Partners)

Can't wait to check out Myrtle Grove. Driven past it a few times...just waiting for it to open up. I need to sight in my new toys.

Seconded for United and Engage. Both are great stores with great staff and worth the drive. 1A and 1B in my book. United has slightly cheaper fees, Engage has larger selection. Engage also has a notary on staff if you want to go for a Designated Collector's License so you can buy more than 2 "regulated" firearms at a time.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Not all military have a choice, especially if they don't/can't give up their home/state of record for family/personal reasons...or if they plan on PCSing to another state after their tour in MD. Therefore we just become "residents" of our duty station zip codes and have to comply with all MD laws.

Bringing in separated uppers/lowers is a grey/black area. I talked to MSP before I PCSed here and they said to just leave the non-HBAR. I went along cause I didn't want to deal with the hassle. Besides, I can build an AR pistol anyways and slap my uppers on those whenever. All legit and legal.

If you don't give up your home state/state of record, you are not a legal resident of MD for tax, voting and firearms registration purposes.

As AD military, you can keep your state of residence the same through ALL your PCSs. And, as I said, someone would have to be not to bright to SWITCH TO MD residency.

As for the rifles, if all you have are post 9/30/13 lowers and non-HBAR uppers, you could have issues. So just buy at least one HBAR upper before you arrive in MD, and keep the non-legal lowers and uppers separated.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Just get a place in the Springfield area. The commute will suck but you will be in Free America. My last duty station was Ft Myers and I commuted from the Fredneck area for 3 years before retirement. PITA driving down 70/270/beltway everyday. But that was in 1990 when we were still part of Free America!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom