• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Is it possible to put an 11th round in the breech after loading 10 into the fixed magazine and letting the bolt ride over the top round in the magazine (push down on the magazine round and roll the thumb out, ala M1 Garand)? Was thinking about it this afternoon. Haven't tried it, just seeing if it is possible.

Q

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I've never tried, but I know I've seen somebody famous (I'm thinking Hickok45 or Jerry Miculeck) successfully and repeatedly load the magazine from the bottom on youtube.

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Are fixed magazines that hold more than 10 illegal in MD? I can't remember.

If so, would this count as "manufacturing" an assault weapon?

If so, then this states laws are stupid.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Are fixed magazines that hold more than 10 illegal in MD? I can't remember.

If so, would this count as "manufacturing" an assault weapon?

If so, then this states laws are stupid.

No on your last. Yes on your first. Rimfire is okay up to some large number for fixed tube (16? Well over 10).

I mean, in theory if it can hold more than 10 in the magazine it isn’t legal to transfer and if bought it after 10/2013 go straight to prison. I doubt that’ll ever bite you in the butt. SKS have a 10 round fixed magazine and I can’t see MDSP trying to force in an 11th round and if it fits throwing you in prison.

For if it’ll load 10+1, I THINK it will. I wouldn’t try it. My Norinco seems like it would have enough give in the mag spring that I could manually press down the cartridge stack to let the bolt rode over top and load a +1 in to the chamber. That certainly wouldn’t be considered an 11 round magazine capacity.

My Sako Forester which I am 90% sure is supposed to be just a 5 round capacity will function 5+1 (its a .308). Usually I just load it to 5 rounds and rack the bolt close holding down the top round so it doesn’t get picked up. Get out to my stand or a sit and once all safe in place, rack the bolt to chamber a round and put the safety on.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    There are SKS detachable mags that hold more than 10 rounds if you remove the original 10 round mag. Are the 10+ round SKS's that were "enhanced" in the 80's now illegal in the PRoM?

jrhzn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 17, 2017
    No on your last. Yes on your first. Rimfire is okay up to some large number for fixed tube (16? Well over 10).

I mean, in theory if it can hold more than 10 in the magazine it isn’t legal to transfer and if bought it after 10/2013 go straight to prison. I doubt that’ll ever bite you in the butt. SKS have a 10 round fixed magazine and I can’t see MDSP trying to force in an 11th round and if it fits throwing you in prison.

For if it’ll load 10+1, I THINK it will. I wouldn’t try it. My Norinco seems like it would have enough give in the mag spring that I could manually press down the cartridge stack to let the bolt rode over top and load a +1 in to the chamber. That certainly wouldn’t be considered an 11 round magazine capacity.

My Sako Forester which I am 90% sure is supposed to be just a 5 round capacity will function 5+1 (its a .308). Usually I just load it to 5 rounds and rack the bolt close holding down the top round so it doesn’t get picked up. Get out to my stand or a sit and once all safe in place, rack the bolt to chamber a round and put the safety on.

I had the fixed 20 round way before the ban. What to do?

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    Yes you can load an SKS 10+1. However the safety is just a bent piece of metal against the trigger and not 100% foolproof if you dropped the gun just the wrong way. So, I don't feel comfortable carrying mine with a round in the chamber. If i'm not ready to fire it, I'll push the top round in the magazine down and close the bolt on an empty chamber.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yes you can load an SKS 10+1. However the safety is just a bent piece of metal against the trigger and not 100% foolproof if you dropped the gun just the wrong way. So, I don't feel comfortable carrying mine with a round in the chamber. If i'm not ready to fire it, I'll push the top round in the magazine down and close the bolt on an empty chamber.

No safety is 100% foolproof. Ask Rem 700 owners...

I agree. If/when I use my for hunting (maybe this year?) is do that headed out to the field. If I was still hunting and what not I’d keep a round chambered. It would absolutely be a gun I UNLOADED before leaning on anything, putting down to cross a fence or fallen tree, etc.

Hecktor Peabody

Boris Badinov
    Aug 22, 2018
    Southeastern PA
    Yes. It can be done.

However, to add to Shazam's advice:

The sks ONLY disengages the trigger bar from sear.

There is no hammer block, or transfer bar or any kind of mechanism in the SKS to prevent the hammer from falling on a chambered round.

The sks safety operates much like a parking break. With enough wear, your car can still find a way to the bottom of the hill you parked it on.

With the safety ON, friction alone -- between the bearing surfaces of the hammer and sear -- is all that holds the hammer in check. This is why the crappy sks trigger is integral to the safety function. The heavier, grittier the trigger pull, the more friction there is in the sear to hammer engagement.

If the sear to hammer bearing surfaces are worn from use, or if they have been modified by a previous owner's 'trigger job'-- it's a good idea to keep the chamber empty until you are ready to fire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom