• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Yes
    Not accurate past 25 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I'm not interested in long range, just short range practice. As long as the projectile can make it out of the barrel and not strike any baffles, I'm OK.

I did contact CMMG tech support and they said there would be no issues with suppressors and the adapters.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I have an CMMG Ar conversion bolt. If I wanted to build a dedicated .22lr sbr upper, does anyone make an AR barrel that doesn’t have a gas port?

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I'm only asking this because some of the other threads are ambiguous at best. If I purchase a dedicated, non HBAR 22lr upper, can I put it on my post ban lower without ending up prison?

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    So, PSA has 15-22s for 299 shipped. About the cost of a cheap dedicated .22lr upper, and cheaper than an upper tier .22lr dedicated upper, along with a lifetime warranty.

One of the issues I have read about using the CMMG .22lr insert (which I have seriously been considering), is lead building up in the gas port hole, I assume when shooting a pure lead .22 bullet. My question is, shooting the copper jacketed .22lr ammo, would that prevent the lead from scraping off into the gas port?

The other question is barrel twist. I have read some on the internet get good results shooting the Aguila 60gr .22 rounds. I have some, but they arent plated, so it goes back to the gas port getting plugged.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    So, PSA has 15-22s for 299 shipped. About the cost of a cheap dedicated .22lr upper, and cheaper than an upper tier .22lr dedicated upper, along with a lifetime warranty.

One of the issues I have read about using the CMMG .22lr insert (which I have seriously been considering), is lead building up in the gas port hole, I assume when shooting a pure lead .22 bullet. My question is, shooting the copper jacketed .22lr ammo, would that prevent the lead from scraping off into the gas port?

The other question is barrel twist. I have read some on the internet get good results shooting the Aguila 60gr .22 rounds. I have some, but they arent plated, so it goes back to the gas port getting plugged.

From what I understand, .22 anmo isn't copper jacketed, it's "washed" so it will still scrape.

Since I have the parts laying around, I think I'm going to take a 223 barrel and block the gas port with a steel hose clamp. Conversion kits with 3 mags are under $200. I'll make my own dedicated upper.

When I'm sick of it I can disassemble and use the parts again. I'll clear the gas hole if it's clogged, confirm the barrel is fine and use it for another build.

I'll have to test various ammunition at a distance to make sure the ammunition is right but for plinking, it will be fine.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Do realize, that anything you do with the gas block or the outside of the barrel, still leaves the gas port open to filling up with lead bits.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Do realize, that anything you do with the gas block or the outside of the barrel, still leaves the gas port open to filling up with lead bits.

Sure...as long as you're not using the gas port does it matter? Of course not.

The hole can be cleared if the barrel is used for something else.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you are going for a dedicated setup, why not a barrel designed for .22 LR? Different twist and no gas port

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Let's face it. We're better off just going M&P 15-22.

Or I can just put some parts together that I have laying around. The conversion kit is an easy sell if I get sick of it.

I'm not arguing it's the best option...it's just an option I'll use.

MackM

MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2018
    If I clean the AR after every session with the CMMG 22 conversion, will that suffice? I don't want to screw up the AR but I need to reduce the cost of training and the .22 LR rounds are very nicely priced.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    If I clean the AR after every session with the CMMG 22 conversion, will that suffice? I don't want to screw up the AR but I need to reduce the cost of training and the .22 LR rounds are very nicely priced.

The issue is build up in the gas hole. Cleaning the barrel wouldn't help that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom