• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Some gov agencies are similar. SSA monitors employee time closely. GS types have to apply to work overtime, and is not always approved. You can do overtime via telework, and can get approved for 2 days/week.

Of course, none of that applies to contractors.

Technically, NO GS employee may work more than 8/40 without prior approval.

It is illegal for your supervisor to allow you to do so. We get a lecture about this every so often.

:D

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    No, .22 LR is not part of my retirement plan.

But I figure, for SHTF, the best thing is something that can be used. Food or ammunition.

And with ammunition, you can GET food. :D

Yes, you will find people willing to trade for gold, but why?????

If it’s a total SHTF scenario, ammo becomes currency.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Harford County has a years in service + age requirement before you can retire also. They instituted this during the recession several years back. Around the same time they restructured the pension for new hires, I think they pay more and get less than those hired before a certain date. Also around the same time, the state increased the amount we have to contribute by 2% but OweMalley decided to NOT put our money in the pension fund but used it to plug the hole in his "structural deficit". I don't know if it is still that way but during his tenure yhat's what went on.
    As for raising retirement age, it depends on what you do. A desk jockey is not going to feel the same aches and pains and feel their body deteriorate at the same age of a person who has worked outside their whole life. I personally wouldn't have it any other way, I can't stand being cooped up inside a building much less an office or cubicle. The downside to this is I should have stock in the company that makes ibuprofen because I hurt so bad some days.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Harford County has a years in service + age requirement before you can retire also. ....

One company I'm familiar with had this characteristic. You had to make the "Rule of 80" in age + yrs of service at the firm to get the defined benefit pension.

OTOH, I've always been in a 401k retirement system, with some ESOP plans thrown into the mix.

JoeR

MocoJed

Nov 16, 2015
    Loco Moco
    One company I'm familiar with had this characteristic. You had to make the "Rule of 80" in age + yrs of service at the firm to get the defined benefit pension.

OTOH, I've always been in a 401k retirement system, with some ESOP plans thrown into the mix.

JoeR

Moco schools does a similar calc instead of the standard 30, but it only applies to new hires as of a few years ago.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Moco schools does a similar calc instead of the standard 30, but it only applies to new hires as of a few years ago.

Yes, it makes sense to me to do that kind of calculation. If they started work right out of college at 22, at 51 years old, they'd have 29 yrs of service with the firm...and get to 80.

JoeR

MocoJed

Nov 16, 2015
    Loco Moco
    Yes, it makes sense to me to do that kind of calculation. If they started work right out of college at 22, at 51 years old, they'd have 29 yrs of service with the firm...and get to 80.

JoeR

Checked on the moco details. They do two options, either you are 65 and have 10 years in, or your age + years of service must be at least 90. So a new hire this year at age of 22 would have to work up to age 65, putting in 43 years... bet they are banking on a lot of people checking out early and taking a 6% per year prior to age 65 hit on their pension.

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    Inflation is the hidden tax on savers. It seems to me that inflation is what government will use to “fund” all those past obligations- on the back of people who actually had the discipline to save.

...and heaven help us when credit markets downgrade our debt so we actually have to pay a real interest rate on our debt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If it’s a total SHTF scenario, ammo becomes currency.

Exactly.

And everyone has a .22. And it is great for small game.

Plus monetarily and space wise, it is a good one to stockpile.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    As for raising retirement age, it depends on what you do. A desk jockey is not going to feel the same aches and pains and feel their body deteriorate at the same age of a person who has worked outside their whole life. I personally wouldn't have it any other way, I can't stand being cooped up inside a building much less an office or cubicle. The downside to this is I should have stock in the company that makes ibuprofen because I hurt so bad some days.

Sorry, but desk jockeys have issues from things like poor chairs, bad posture, and other ergonomic issues. Also, sitting in one place all day is hard on the body.

Different that working a manual labor type job, but don't think it has no body issues.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Checked on the moco details. They do two options, either you are 65 and have 10 years in, or your age + years of service must be at least 90. So a new hire this year at age of 22 would have to work up to age 65, putting in 43 years... bet they are banking on a lot of people checking out early and taking a 6% per year prior to age 65 hit on their pension.

Huh???

age 65 plus 43 years of service = 108.

age 56 plus 32 years of service = 90

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Federal retirement under FERS goes like this.

Minimum retirement age (MRA) varies by when you are born. 55 for those born prior to 1948, and 57 for those 1970 and later. With a sliding scale between.

You can retire at:

62 with at least 5 years service.
    60 with at least 20 years service
    MRA with at least 10 years service.

However, if you retire with less than 30 years of service and before age 62, your retirement is reduced by 5% for year year under 62 when you retire.

So someone who retires at 60 with 20 year, loses 10% of their retirement income versus someone who retires at 62 with the same number of years.

A person who retires at 56 with more than 10 years, but less than 30 years, loses 30% of their retirement income.

Another thing about waiting, if you retire at 62 or older, with at least 20 years, they RAISE your retirement by 10% (they calculate based 1.1% of high 3 per year worked instead of 1.0%).

One neat thing is, your high 3 years does not have to be your last 3 years. So you get promoted to a high grade. Then with 3 years to go, you quite your high pay, high stress job, and find a GS-1 job somewhere. It really does not reduce your retirement.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    33% of your highest earned salary is a good deal, especially since SS is looking to be increasingly a joke. I've heard that you Fed works can keep their employee healthplan even after retirement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom