• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mmpbal

Apr 18, 2020
    Dundalk
    My son and I are getting our hunting license this year. I am trying to find somewhere to do the field day. We are taking the online course

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    My son and I are getting our hunting license this year. I am trying to find somewhere to do the field day. We are taking the online course

What’s involved in that?

How far are you willing to drive. I think we are a right good distance from y’all

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Looks like the coronavirus shut them down. From DNR's website:

ALERT:*Following Governor Larry Hogan’s emergency actions to protect public health during the COVID-19 pandemic, the Maryland Natural Resources Police is suspending field day works

Hunter education students are encouraged to take the online course, which combined with a field day workshop will satisfy the hunter education requirement. Upon completion of the course, students will receive a voucher, which is good for eighteen months, to take a field day workshop to satisfy the hunter education requirement.

This is an extension of six months from the original grace period. Any field day voucher issued between March 1 and May 11, 2020 will receive an automatic six-month deadline extension whenever the department resumes field day workshops.

The minimum age requirement to take the internet-based course and field day workshop has been lowered to 10 years of age.

For questions, please e-mail:nrpsafetyed.dnr@maryland.gov*

Please continue to check this Hunter Education website for any updates.

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    I did mine at my own gun club last year, IWLA-Wildlife achievement chapter in Damascus. Sounds like they're shut down though due to Corona..

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    Various clubs appear to be holding the classes. MM Jr just finished the online portion, and registered for a class in December. You can browse class availability through the DNR site.

Mag Dump

May 31, 2017
    Frederick, MD Region
    I am the chief instructor for the Brunswick team. We conduct 2 field days per year but everything is on hold until further notice. We are all shut down and are not allowed to hold classes until things improve.

Wish i could help and sorry for the bad news!

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Texas has an online only course and (correct me if Im wrong here) it is recognized by Maryland and would provide a legal loop hole to satisfy the requirement for obtaining a license. I'm actually surprised they don't just waive that this year.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    This is BS!!!!
    If its safe enough for people to shop at walmart/lowes/depot etc,Im sure its safe enough to have a day to qualify in an outdoor activity.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Texas has a minimum age for the online class , so depends on the son's age .

What's the Zombie Apocalypse status of classes in Va/ Pa/ De/ WV ?

duckduckgoose

Sep 7, 2016
    Annapolis, MD
    My son is 17, I had heard about the Texas online course but I am not sure how all that works

Like the other folks said, the texas hunters online course will satisfy the maryland hunters license requirements without having to go through the in person shoot. It's quick and easy and you don't pay until you pass, particularly since the in person shoot for maryland doesn't sound like an option right now.

Google "texas hunters education", it's through hunter-ed.com. They'll give you a number and you just have to input that on to the DNR system. The hunter-ed website will mail you a card, but you don't need to wait.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Buddy that always hunted family land and never needed a license until now confirmed the Texas loophole is still good.

earlybirdnj

Aug 1, 2013
    Son and I got into last class at issac Walton league last March.
    For some reason classes are scarcer than hens teeth.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It's not a Loophole . It's exactly as intended .

Way back in the early 1970s when HS began , one of the foundational concepts was for HS from Any state to be recognized by Every state .

The NRA was instrumental in the creation of HS , and promoting it to the several states .

And for the first decade or so most States either used the actual NRA handbook , or close followed its text if they printed their own

JerseyMike

Dec 16, 2019
    Germantown
    I’ve never hunted before but would love to start with squirrels this season using a .22. Just because I can get by with the Texas online Hunter’s Safety course should I? I’d likely be hunting alone on public land.

duckduckgoose

Sep 7, 2016
    Annapolis, MD
    I’ve never hunted before but would love to start with squirrels this season using a .22. Just because I can get by with the Texas online Hunter’s Safety course should I? I’d likely be hunting alone on public land.

It sounds like that's your best option right now, with all the in-person hunters safety shoots being cancelled here in Maryland.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Like the other folks said, the texas hunters online course will satisfy the maryland hunters license requirements without having to go through the in person shoot. It's quick and easy and you don't pay until you pass, particularly since the in person shoot for maryland doesn't sound like an option right now.

Google "texas hunters education", it's through hunter-ed.com. They'll give you a number and you just have to input that on to the DNR system. The hunter-ed website will mail you a card, but you don't need to wait.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for the info! I see what I will be doing today. :thumbsup:

BTW Texas does have a field day requirement for people 16 and under.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom