So... You Want To Reload? Questions to answer before taking the plunge.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Which presses are you currently running?

I’m trying to talk my old man into upgrading his old 550. ( I think that’s the one he has )

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have heard good things about the Hornady.

But I am a Dillon fan. I have a 650 from the mid 90s that is going strong.

If you are primarily doing handgun or blasting ammo, the 650 is a bit faster. If you want to use it for rifle rounds, and especially run it like a single stage, the 550 is better.

I just have a single stage for those jobs.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    It really does not matter which press or equipment you buy or use, they all get the job done. I started with a Hornady single stage over 40 years ago and have stuck with them no particular reason except for familiarity and long life. I still use a single stage regardless of loads made I have prepped and made up to 500 rounds.

Buds have other presses and are happy with them for the same reason. I still use a single stage press, measure every powder before it go into the shell, trim all my shells to my particular size (best for my rifle).

I find it relaxing in doing it onesies, I am not in any hurry. Also, I have never double load a shell and many have because they do not pay attention to detail. Have never used an incorrect primer or put one in upside down. I have never had a hang fire with my reloads but have had a couple with boxed ammo.

So long story short if starting out buy a single stage press, and when you become more efficient look at other options.

CigarChic

Oct 27, 2021
    Hello I was gifted with a Dillion 550 and I want to reload 6MM ARC. Can anyone point me in the right direction to purchase a caliber conversion kit in 6MM ARC. I have searched high and low with no success.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Hello I was gifted with a Dillion 550 and I want to reload 6MM ARC. Can anyone point me in the right direction to purchase a caliber conversion kit in 6MM ARC. I have searched high and low with no success.
    6.5 Grendel conversion plus a 6PPC powder funnel is what you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom