• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    The earlier 220s came with a soft squishy pad that had a tendency to break off chunks (mine did). Savage told me so and replaced it. It must've have been enough of a problem that later 220s came with a much harder pad. A friend has a newer one, and when shoot them side by side the difference in felt recoil is very noticeable.

I talked to Savage about the newer compacts and they assured me that all the stocks interchange. Problem is a replacement compact stock sells for over $100, so I'm still debating which way to go.

You could always go with the boyds at-one. It is adjustable from 12 1/2 to 14''

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/at-one

That's very interesting. How old is yours? I got mine the second year of production(I'm pretty sure).

This is what the 220 is capable of, day in, day out.
    Four shot group @ 100yds.

I've posted this before(sorry about the huge pic)

I bought mine in Sept. I used a Mossberg Slugster for the last 10 years. My nephew turned 18 and I gave the slugster to him. That gun has killed a lot of deer...

I don't have the pic any longer but my groups look about the same. Have you seen these Ohian Hillbillies? https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...7749C15B6D896BA7A9C97749C15B6D89&&FORM=VRDGAR

The earlier 220s came with a soft squishy pad that had a tendency to break off chunks (mine did). Savage told me so and replaced it. It must've have been enough of a problem that later 220s came with a much harder pad. A friend has a newer one, and when shoot them side by side the difference in felt recoil is very noticeable.

I talked to Savage about the newer compacts and they assured me that all the stocks interchange. Problem is a replacement compact stock sells for over $100, so I'm still debating which way to go.

To the point mine was almost unshootable with the 3 in shells. 12 rounds at the range and I was literally black and blue and I have fired some very large caliber rifles including some dangerous game doubles..the soft pad with a heavy shoulder pad fixed that. If the squishy breaks I will replace it with another one.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    To the point mine was almost unshootable with the 3 in shells. 12 rounds at the range and I was literally black and blue and I have fired some very large caliber rifles including some dangerous game doubles..the soft pad with a heavy shoulder pad fixed that. If the squishy breaks I will replace it with another one.

sighting in this year, 6 shots, and it left me with a nice bruise. I've got the hard pad on mine and felt recoil is substantial. I don't shoot it outside of deer season, so I'm fine with at, but could be off-putting for an inexperienced shooter. Would be interested to compare the different pads though.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    20 G for women

I replaced the wooden stock on a Winchester 1200 20G with an adjustable telescoping one. She likes it. Any Win, Mossy, Rem 20G with a rifled barrel should be good to go.

DEEREHUNTER

Oct 7, 2009
    We have been helping with the Young Guns Hunt Club for a number of years and we get a lot of young hunters that don`t have a suitable deer gun. We have both a full size and youth model 220 Savage 20 slug gun. We have had young ladies and good size teenage boys using our equipment and they have made out fine .We use the Federal 3" trophy copper slugs and have respectable optics on the guns. It pays off in clean kills and no tracking to have an accurate easy to shoot system for the new hunters. Recoil has never been an issue and we have everyone shoot 3 or 4 rounds before hunting. I think she would be very happy with a Savage. Best of luck !!!

DrSeuss

Mar 28, 2013
    Muleskinner, I have compact 220 stock that I'm not using if you want it. I bought it to replace my full size stock. I found that when I'm all geared out (jacket, harness, etc) my eye relief was all messed up so I bought a compact stock but I eventually ended up with a Boyd's AT-One stock.

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Muleskinner, I have compact 220 stock that I'm not using if you want it. I bought it to replace my full size stock. I found that when I'm all geared out (jacket, harness, etc) my eye relief was all messed up so I bought a compact stock but I eventually ended up with a Boyd's AT-One stock.
    If Muleskinner passes, I would definitely be interested!

DrSeuss

Mar 28, 2013
    Another option is to cut down the full size stock. They are basically the same. If you look at the full size, there's a mold line right before the sling swivel. That's the length of the compact stock. I'll try to take a picture tonight.

Didn't know this at first until I had purchased the compact stock and was looking at both of them side by side. The compact stock has a good LOP for when I'm hunting but if I'm just zero'ing or shooting for fun without my gear, it's too short. I didn't want to be swapping back and forth so I just went with the Boyd's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom