Can my wife take one of my guns to the range without me been present?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nomade

Apr 26, 2014
    I hope somebody can help me with this.
    My wife is getting more interesting in shooting... I'm glad of that. Even She will be getting her HQL soon and buy her own handgun.
    My question is.. Can my wife take one of my handguns and go to the range to practice in Maryland ? If I'm not with her.
    She is not prohibited to own a firearm.
    Thank for any help.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I've let my kids take my guns to the range, I've taken my father's guns to the range. Never really gave it much thought. I don't know how the question of ownership would ever come up in the first place.

nomade

Apr 26, 2014
    Thanks everyone for your answer.
    I thought that just take the guns from home to the range shouldn't be a big deal... but we leave in Maryland... never know what to expect.

tmd99

Aug 22, 2015
    Frederick
    Court of Appeals of Maryland.
    Todd Lin CHOW
    v.
    STATE of Maryland.
    No. 99, Sept. Term, 2005.July 27, 2006.
    Synopsis
    Background: Defendant was convicted, following a bench trial, in the Circuit Court, Prince George's County, Melanie M. Shaw–Gerter, J., of illegally transferring a regulated firearm. Defendant appealed. The Court of Special Appeals, 163 Md.App. 492, 881 A.2d 1148, affirmed.
    Holdings: On grant of defendant's petition for writ of certiorari, the Court of Appeals, Cathell, J., held that:
    1 definition of the term “transfer,” as used in statute making it unlawful for a person who is not a regulated gun owner to transfer any regulated firearm without complying with application process and seven-day waiting period, does not include a temporary exchange or loan of a regulated firearm between two adult individuals who are otherwise permitted to own and obtain a regulated handgun, and
    2 a violation of statute making it unlawful for a person who is not a regulated gun owner to sell, rent, transfer, or purchase any regulated firearm without complying with application process and seven-day waiting period requires that a defendant knows that the activity they are engaging in is illegal.
    Judgment of the Court of Special Appeals reversed.
    Wilner, J., dissented and filed a separate opinion in which Raker and Battaglia, JJ., joined.
    West Headnotes (6)
    1WeaponsDisplay Key Number TopicsProhibited transfers
    Definition of the term “transfer,” as used in statute making it unlawful for a person who is not a regulated gun owner to transfer any regulated firearm without complying with application process and seven-day waiting period, does not include a temporary exchange or loan of a regulated firearm between two adult individuals who are otherwise permitted to own and obtain a regulated handgun; plain language of the statute and the legislative history the “Regulated Firearms” subheading indicates that the word “transfer” refers to a gratuitous permanent exchange of title or possession. Code 1957, Art. 27, § 442(d) (Repealed).
    Cases that cite this headnote

disclaimer - havent analyzed this with fsa 2013 to see if that changed anything but it is still showing as good law. id have to go through text of fsa 2013 to be absolutely sure though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom