• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Okletsfish

Ultimate Member
    Sep 15, 2015
    I am thinking about building a legal AR 10.What will I need beside the components and parts.I have a good workbench with a 6" vice along with a set of punches and cleaning stuff but that`s about it.Lots of hand tools from when I was working.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    I am thinking about building a legal AR 10.What will I need beside the components and parts.I have a good workbench with a 6" vice along with a set of punches and cleaning stuff but that`s about it.Lots of hand tools from when I was working.

YouTube

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    All AR-10's with a 16" barrel are legal for rifle builds. Get a wrench for the stock if a collapsable is being used. If your building the upper you may need a couple more hand tools but not much else. If you need any help send me a PM. I was a military gun guy and I've built several hundred of these guns. More than happy to pass on info that may help. Good luck.

Okletsfish

Ultimate Member
    Sep 15, 2015
    All AR-10's with a 16" barrel are legal for rifle builds. Get a wrench for the stock if a collapsable is being used. If your building the upper you may need a couple more hand tools but not much else. If you need any help send me a PM. I was a military gun guy and I've built several hundred of these guns. More than happy to pass on info that may help. Good luck.

Thanks

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Depends. Just building a lower? You have what you need except for a buffer tube wrench. If you are going to build the upper as well, you'll likely need a barrel wrench or if a free float handguard a wrench specific to the handguard being added. Mine needed a 1 1/16" wrench.

Don't need much else other than basic hand tools. An AR-10 vise block is going to be wanted for attaching the barrel to the upper for building it.

Okletsfish

Ultimate Member
    Sep 15, 2015
    I have large wrenches along with torque wrenches.Will I need a special crow foot for torquing the barrel.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I have large wrenches along with torque wrenches.Will I need a special crow foot for torquing the barrel.

Yes, with the qualifier that the range is something like 20-45lb-ft. Preferably on the higher end. If you are kind of decent at gauging how much torque you are putting on it, you don't need one. I didn't bother as I am more than accurate enough to get within that margin of error after years and years of wrenching on cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom