• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradyWarrior

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2014
    Maryland
    Howdaphuk do you propose that ^^^ would work better than what we've already expressed here in this thread???

Hell if I know. Hope all is well with you these days. I was standing at your tables back at the Feb. Frederick show and almost bought a glock 19 from ya, till I realized you only accepted electronic buffalo nickels. :D

I meant Excel would be better than eyeballing the number of NICS checks ran for the purposes of "permit" and subtracting the average number NICS checks ran for carry permits before 9/2013 -- which is when I assume people could start applying for HQLs before October 1st of that year.

Based off looking at the NICS data, I also estimated around 30,000 but it was quick mental math. I would guess its a little higher than that but not much.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Hell if I know. Hope all is well with you these days. I was standing at your tables back at the Feb. Frederick show and almost bought a glock 19 from ya, till I realized you only accepted electronic buffalo nickels. :D

I meant Excel would be better than eyeballing the number of NICS checks ran for the purposes of "permit" and subtracting the average number NICS checks ran for carry permits before 9/2013 -- which is when I assume people could start applying for HQLs before October 1st of that year.

Based off looking at the NICS data, I also estimated around 30,000 but it was quick mental math. I would guess its a little higher than that but not much.

To determine the amount of HQL's issued to current date shy of contacting MSP L&R (if they'll give that info) is to add up the approximate highest number HQL's issued late in December for years '13 and '14, then add the approximate number issued to current date by the latest date in '15. Nate was pretty well spot on with his estimate as he had a customer that VERY recently acquired their HQL, mine was off a fairly good bit (under estimated) due to not having a customer that VERY recently acquired their HQL. We're dealing here in reasonable estimations because an exact count is not really necessary in this thread context. The amount of HQL's that need issued to bring up the handgun market (sales) back to normal is about 90,000, perhaps up to 100,000. Bear in mind people, the 126,xxx some odd applications that were received (not necessarily processed during that same timeframe) by MSP from 01/01/13 to 09/30/13 included those that submitted applications multiple times within the same timeframe. Also we must consider a number of those applications were not for handguns but regulated (now banned) long guns. If we could get another 60,000 or so more HQL's out there, the handgun market would be running at a reasonable pre '13 level again.

Oh BTW, I like electronic buffalo nickels.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Total Number Of HQL's In Maryland

I thought I would revive this thread to get some definitive numbers and to add a current rate of issue in order to see trends.

I have gone through all the posts in this thread, I think there may be some better numbers in other threads and I will try to find them and update here.

The HQL's are numbered sequentially starting over each year so to determine the number issued in a year we just need the approximate number of a HQL issued in late December of each year. We can also track trends by looking at the HQL number and date issued to see if the average number per day changes.

2013 The HQL was only in effect for 3 months - 4,500 issued = 50 per day

2014 the number posted was issued in Dec. no date given -15,150 = 41 per day

2015 the number posted was for end of Dec. after 12/29 - 18,070 = 49.5 per day

Total for first three years (1st year only 3 months) = 37,720

2016 tracking (issued 3/21 8,1XX) 8,100 HQLs / 81 Days= 100 per day

Running total to latest date posted (3/21) = 45,820

Last edited:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Please post approximate HQL numbers and date activated particularly the end of year issued ones so we can update the numbers.

I just got mine.
    Activated 2/28
    Number 6,0XX

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    One of the reasons for the increase in 2016 might be that people took the class early on in 2013 and 2014. The training is good for two years so they are applying now before the training run's out. I have seen alot of people from those first classes in my verification list sent to me by the MSP. When you apply online a notice is sent to the Instructor to verify you attended.

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    Went active 3/21 #81xx

I believe that would be in excess of 90 per day for the the start of 2016

Arrived 3/26. That would be 31 days from date of application for taxation of my fundamental RIGHT!:mad54:

Last edited:

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    Because there is no penalty for being past 30 days.

I brought this up to my delegate on 2a Tuesday. She had no idea, but she is new and not on the judiciary committee. Also brought it up to my Senator and she had no clue as well and again not on the right committee.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    im still fighting my wife on getting hers. She is still appalled at the idea of having to go through all this just to buy a handgun since she already has one that she got before all this mess.

I can still see why people cant stand the thought of having to jump through all this horse shit and spend the money just to get something that says they can do the same thing they did prior to 10/2013 smh...

Boxtop

Sep 17, 2010
    Harford County
    im still fighting my wife on getting hers. She is still appalled at the idea of having to go through all this just to buy a handgun since she already has one that she got before all this mess.

I can still see why people cant stand the thought of having to jump through all this horse shit and spend the money just to get something that says they can do the same thing they did prior to 10/2013 smh...

I am also debating it right now. I vowed I wouldn't but there are things I want to buy and I don't see myself moving to freedom any time soon.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    30k. Sucks to be in the handguns business. The HQL is working as intended.

I purchased "a few" handguns in 2014 and in 2015. I am planning on doing the same in 2016 and then again in each year I live in Maryland. I may end up with quite a few handguns whose purpose is to kept the Maryland FFLs in business and to enhance my collection of handguns, I am a collector!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom