• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kcbrown

Super Genius
    Jun 16, 2012
    I think that is correct.

That must have been a hard admission for you. I salute your honesty and integrity, sir.

Now that you've recognized that, how does that change your opinion of the appellate courts and/or the judges who comprise them?

You needn't answer if doing so would compromise your job in any way, of course.

(Sent with Tapatalk, so apologies for the lackluster formatting)

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    That must have been a hard admission for you. I salute your honesty and integrity, sir.

Now that you've recognized that, how does that change your opinion of the appellate courts and/or the judges who comprise them?

You needn't answer if doing so would compromise your job in any way, of course.

(Sent with Tapatalk, so apologies for the lackluster formatting)

KC, I wasn't born yesterday. I am 65 and been an appellate lawyer for 40 years. I have been subjected to more result-oriented decisions than I care to count. That the courts, or more precisely, some judges, have been hostile to the 2A is undeniable and I don't really think I've ever denied that. The 10th Circuit's decision on Bonidy is not that remarkable on the merits -- the USPS has long banned guns on federal property (notwithstanding its reputation for its employees going "postal"). It actually came out exactly as I thought it would as a TP&M case. And it still drew a strong dissent. The case was always a stretch. I still take the long view about the 2A -- the court of appeals were united in holding prior to Heller that the 2A did not embody an individual right. I'm not dead yet.

kcbrown

Super Genius
    Jun 16, 2012
    KC, I wasn't born yesterday. I am 65 and been an appellate lawyer for 40 years. I have been subjected to more result-oriented decisions than I care to count. That the courts, or more precisely, some judges, have been hostile to the 2A is undeniable and I don't really think I've ever denied that.

The problem is that "some judges" appears to encompass the majority of them, just based on statistics alone at the appellate level.

I agree that you've not ever denied that some judges have been hostile to the 2nd Amendment, but I do get the impression that you believed (and perhaps you still do) that most judges are honest, fair, and adhere to law (most especially the Constitution), precedent, and the logical implications of those things. The behavior we've seen from most of the judges who have had a chance to weigh in on this subject thus far betrays that belief (whether or not that's a belief you actually hold or held is something only you can say), at least as regards the 2nd Amendment. Which is to say, those very same judges may be exactly as I recall you having described them as regards other issues, but this issue is quite obviously different. For which other issues has the entire federal judiciary rebelled against both a Constitutional Amendment and the Supreme Court's interpretation of same? I know of none.

What we are seeing before our eyes is entirely unprecedented as far as I know. And utterly predictable.

The 10th Circuit's decision on Bonidy is not that remarkable on the merits -- the USPS has long banned guns on federal property (notwithstanding its reputation for its employees going "postal").
    "Has long banned guns on federal property" (emphasis mine) is a bit of a misstatement, seeing how the ban in question dates back only to 1972.

It actually came out exactly as I thought it would as a TP&M case. And it still drew a strong dissent. The case was always a stretch. I still take the long view about the 2A -- the court of appeals were united in holding prior to Heller that the 2A did not embody an individual right. I'm not dead yet.
    In the face of what amounts to wholesale rebellion against the 2nd Amendment by the lower courts (something you've admitted to yourself, at least as regards the appellate courts), combined with the refusal of the Supreme Court to do anything about it, exactly what is the "long view" about the 2nd Amendment as regards the judiciary that involves anything other than its utter destruction?

Last edited:

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    KC, I wasn't born yesterday. I am 65 and been an appellate lawyer for 40 years. I have been subjected to more result-oriented decisions than I care to count. That the courts, or more precisely, some judges, have been hostile to the 2A is undeniable and I don't really think I've ever denied that. The 10th Circuit's decision on Bonidy is not that remarkable on the merits -- the USPS has long banned guns on federal property (notwithstanding its reputation for its employees going "postal"). It actually came out exactly as I thought it would as a TP&M case. And it still drew a strong dissent. The case was always a stretch. I still take the long view about the 2A -- the court of appeals were united in holding prior to Heller that the 2A did not embody an individual right. I'm not dead yet.

Why do you think this case was a stretch (specifically the parking lot, I'll throw out the building)?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Why do you think this case was a stretch (specifically the parking lot, I'll throw out the building)?

The parking lot is part of the usps curtilage and is federal property 18 USC930 prohibits guns basically wherever federal employees work. A challenge to section 930 will never succeed

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    The parking lot is part of the usps curtilage and is federal property 18 USC930 prohibits guns basically wherever federal employees work. A challenge to section 930 will never succeed

You are probably right.

But I would like to know what "they" believe "or other lawful purposes." in (d)(3) means, seeing as how carrying by LE is already covered in (d)(1).

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Most disappointing about this wasn't that the USPS won on the parking lot or the building, that's small potatoes.
    What happened was the court taking the typical out that other courts are taking. From 10th Circuit precedence I would have thought they would have said open carry was protected.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    No vote was held. See attached.

Although I wasn't expecting much, it's sad we only got one vote. You can bet if the roles were reversed (Their side had the weak case), all Dem-appointees would vote to en banc. Our judges basically will avoid en banc.

kcbrown

Super Genius
    Jun 16, 2012
    QUESTIONS PRESENTED

Whether a nationwide United States Postal Service regulation that prohibits a law-abiding, responsible citizen from safely storing his handgun inside a locked vehicle parked in a rural post office parking lot while he picks up his mail violates the Second Amendment.
    LOL! That phrasing is so full of awesome.

It sucks that the Supreme Court will, of course, deny cert here.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    LOL! That phrasing is so full of awesome.

It sucks that the Supreme Court will, of course, deny cert here.

This is the other question presented: 1. Whether the “presumptively lawful regulatory measures” mentioned in District of Columbia v.
    Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008), burden the right to keep
    and bear arms, as some circuits have ruled, or whether
    those measures are categorical exceptions to the
    Second Amendment right, as the circuit below and
    others have ruled.

I'm doubting SCOTUS takes it too. I think this case would have been good if public carry had been affirmed by SCOTUS but we're not there yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom