• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Al Norris

Spud Head
    Dec 1, 2010
    Rupert, Idaho
    I think that all the various CC cases are cases to establish that the right includes carry outside the door frame of your house. There are tangential issues in these cases.

But the issue of "Shall Issue" is one of degree. On the surface is the amount and manner of regulating carry (the bearing of arms, for offensive or defensive action for self defense, should the need arise) a government can have. The deeper issue is that we do have that right to carry.

In District of Columbia v. Heller, 128 S. Ct. 2783 (2008), the Supreme Court held that the second amendment secures the "right to keep and bear arms" and was not only an individual right, but that it encompassed two distinct objects of that right. That a person had the right to “wear, bear, or carry . . . upon the person or in the clothing or in a pocket, for the purpose . . . of being armed and ready for offensive or defensive action in a case of conflict with another person.” District of Columbia v. Heller, 128 S. Ct. 2783, 2793 (2008) (quoting Muscarello v. United States, 524 U.S. 125, 143 (1998) (Ginsburg, J., dissenting).

“[T]he core right identified in Heller [is] the right of a law-abiding, responsible citizen to possess and carry a weapon for self-defense.” United States v. Chester, __ F.3d __, 2010 U.S. App. LEXIS 26508 at *26 (4th Cir. Dec. 30, 2010).

Numerous State Constitutional right to arms provisions have likewise been interpreted as securing the right to possess and carry a gun, albeit subject to some regulation. Not just the four cases quoted by Scalia in Heller.

See, e.g. Aymette v. State, 21 Tenn. 154 (1840); State v. Reid, 1 Ala. 612 (1840); Nunn v. State, 1 Ga. 243 (1846); State v. Chandler, 5 La. Ann. 489 (1850); Andrews v. State, 50 Tenn. 165 (1871); In re Brickey, 8 Idaho 597 (1902); State v. Rosenthal, 55 A. 610 (Vt. 1903); State v. Kerner, 107 S.E. 222 (N.C. 1921); City of Las Vegas v. Moberg, 485 P.2d 737 (N.M. Ct. App. 1971); State v. Delgado, 692 P.2d 210 (Or. 1984); State ex rel. City of Princeton v. Buckner, 377 S.E.2d 139 (W. Va. 1988); Kellogg v. City of Gary, 562 N.E.2d 685 (Ind. 1990).

Yes, there is a danger that one or more of these cases will not go in our favor, even at the Circuit Court level. This is part of the strategy, however. The deliberate splitting of the circuits where the SCOTUS will have to resolve the split.

The gamble is that our case(s) will reach SCOTUS before a bad criminal case(s) does. That, IMO, is the real danger.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    The Plaintiffs said: We can carry in a post office under the Second Amendment.

The Defense MTD said: Restrictions on carry in Government buildings and property are presumptively lawful under Heller. There is no fundamental right to carry anywhere.

The court said: The Defense wins.

I said: this was filed way too soon. The Plaintiffs jumped the gun and had absolutely no chance of success.

I stick with what I said, other than to note some (Gray, for one) feel this case is a way to challenge the government on RKBA outside of the existing rash of cases we already have. Even so, I think this was filed too soon.

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Note that the plaintiffs can amend their complaint, as such to say that now that we know how and why they don't win, they can re-write in such a way that they do.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    They should have waited until the right to bear arms in public was recognized as a protected right. If you follow the rules of strategic litigation, you ask one question at a time. That question should not require the court to answer questions derived from the first.

This case asks: can the postal service prevent the lawful exercise of the right to bear arms on their property?

The problem: What right to bear arms?

You cannot entertain the sensitive places question until you define the underlying right it affects. That right is not yet defined in federal law or jurisprudence.

So this case presents multiple questions (actually I see more, but we'll leave some aside):

1. does the right to bear arms exist outside the home;
    2. what is the level of protection for that right;
    3. does that level of protection trump the government's claimed interest in restricting the right from their property?

The Plaintiffs asked #3, but to get there the court had to answer #1 and #2. It's hard enough to argue over #1 by itself within the page counts provided for a federal case (look to Woollard), let alone tackle all three at once.

At the least, this case tried to tackle both the right to bear arms in public and the sensitive places dicta all in one fell swoop. It doesn't work. If this was a backdoor attempt to challenge the first question (public RKBA), then they could have devised more direct (and likely to succeed) ways of getting there at the federal level. Or simply waited for the federal courts to respond to complaints against the states.

I think the judge is being generous here. He sees the problem. If the Plaintiffs pursue this they had better do a good job narrowing their complaint. Frankly I am not sure they can do this. It is simply too soon to be arguing over dicta (sensitive places) when the definition of the actual right itself is still up in the air. It makes no sense to me.

Then again, nobody pays me for my legal opinions. So there ya go. ;)

Trapper

I'm a member too.
    Feb 19, 2009
    Western AA county
    nag, n-nag n-nag n-nag, biiiii.....

Please don't ask a redneck to pronounce that acronym.

Because he'd think they were talking about Walter's wife?

I love that dummy

Al Norris

Spud Head
    Dec 1, 2010
    Rupert, Idaho
    If you remember....

Back on March 21, in Bonidy v. USPS, the district court granted the Motion to Dismiss (MTD) by the defendant, USPS. This was done with a stipulation that the Plaintiffs could file a second amended complaint.

That was filed, last week and can be read here (item #15 on the docket).

Last time, the Bonidy's had only a single complaint that included both the interior of the Post Office and the parking lot. This time, they have separated the two areas. The parking lot comprises one complaint and the interior comprises the second complaint.

Because of the nature of the parking lot being the only place that the public can park, during the winter months, they may win that aspect. I believe the court will still rule that the interior is still a "sensitive place."

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    They should have waited until the right to bear arms in public was recognized as a protected right. If you follow the rules of strategic litigation, you ask one question at a time. That question should not require the court to answer questions derived from the first.

This case asks: can the postal service prevent the lawful exercise of the right to bear arms on their property?

The problem: What right to bear arms?

You cannot entertain the sensitive places question until you define the underlying right it affects. That right is not yet defined in federal law or jurisprudence.
    And the problem with that is that the "bear" question has become a nationwide staring contest/legal game of chicken. Woollard, Palmer, Kachalsky, Hightower, and Richards are running a contest as to which one can be the most irritatingly slow. At least with the Peterson case they had the decency to rule quickly.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Wowza...thought I'd kept this current, but I guess not. I knew of an Amended Complaint (#15 on 4/8) being filed, but it apparently items after did NOT get posted. Sorry...

Defendants to no surprise were against this (#16 on 4/25) as they filed a MTD against the Amended Complaint.

Plaintiffs filed the expected Opposition to the Defendant MTD of their 2nd Amended Complaint (#17 on 5/19)

Most recently, Defendants filed their obligatory Reply in Response to Pltf Opposition (#18 on 6/6/2011)

#18 brings us here today...the Defendants come out firing on what are the final songs of a losing argument. Really.

Emphasis, mine.
    The Supreme Court has repeatedly made clear that, although the Second Amendment protects a right to keep and bear arms for lawful purposes, that right is not unlimited, and does not permit any person to possess any weapon wherever he or she may choose. District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570, 592, 595, 626-27 (2008); McDonald v. City of Chicago, 130 S. Ct. 3020, 3044, 3047 (2010).
    Very presumptuous given these were mere footnotes and consolidation references to appease the losing parties.

The Court specifically stated in Heller that “laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings” are “presumptively lawful,” and further explained that restrictions on firearms in these particular sensitive places were “merely examples” of lawful regulatory measures.

IN Sensitive Places, dear. The parking lot outside of the Post Office does not constitute "IN" a "Government Building".

Nice how they quote Dicta but forget to Word-smith their quote before throwing it out.

I'm going to say this as nicely as possible. Defendants sound very amateurish in their response. Sophomoric comes to mind.

I foresee Plaintiffs responding and ripping this one from their grasp. It was a very weak response using very dated arguments.

We're not going to stand for this no more. We're not on the defensive any more. The Game has changed.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    The game has changed. Now let's see how the referees score each match.

Again: we choose the place, time and landscape of each fight. As long as we make good fights - and avoid prideful attempts to make ourselves feel good in the process - our side will continue to win. Those cases that go forward with weak attorneys who see this as a political game are going to get squashed, and most surely hurt the rest of us in the process.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Masciandaro will decide this case if SCOTUS hears it. Both are prohibitions in government owned Parking Lots. GOnna be tough to say lot A is more sensitive than Lot B.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    What makes a Post Office a "sensitive" place???

Since 2008, Heller has...

The Court specifically stated in Heller that “laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings” are “presumptively lawful,” and further explained that restrictions on firearms in these particular sensitive places were “merely examples” of lawful regulatory measures.

It will be hard to wiggle out of the Supreme Court saying such laws are presumptively lawful...IN the Gov't buildings will be hard.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Since 2008, Heller has...

It will be hard to wiggle out of the Supreme Court saying such laws are presumptively lawful...IN the Gov't buildings will be hard.

Depends. Public rest stop bathrooms will be a hard sell as a sensitive place. Will they say that unaware people dopiing the kids off at the pool will be shot by CCWers?

krucam

Ultimate Member

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom