• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I'm trying to obtain some information on sighting compasses. The type with a diopter lens on the end that you look to from the side to take a reading.

In particular the ones made by Bruton, Suunto and K&R (the Meridian model (not the Meridian Pro)).

I'm interested to know if they all work as follows. My understanding is that you sight through the lens with both eyes open and see a line superimposed over the landscape. I believe the Suunto works that way, I'm not sure about the Brunton and K&R.

Any other experience, you have with any of these models would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    The meridian looks like a mirror sighting compass where you look over or thru mirror depending on the design, while lining up several lines to get your bearing. This type of compass is usually held at arms length, or ideally at the end of a string held in your teeth for better consistency in how you hold it with each sighting. You usually close one eye, although I guess it may be possible to keep both open. A resolution of 5 degrees means you can estimate to 2.5. Not very precise, but likely better than needed if your use is for hiking.

Not sure which suunto you're looking at, but they make mirror compasses and ones that you hold up to one eye and look thru while the other eye is open. With these you see a compass wheel and line that is superimposed over the landscape that you see out of your other eye. Precision is much better, 1 degree resolution with estimate to .5 if I recall on the 360 degree models. Quadrant bearing models are slightly less precision. The KB 14 is this type. They take some getting used to and I've known people who get headaches from using them, but I use the adjustable declination quadrant bearing model at work and like it much better than the mirror compass.

One thing a mirror compass does have an advantage is the ability to set a bearing. My suunto, you have to remember what your bearing is. Or in my case, constantly pull the plat out of your pocket because you forgot what you just looked at.

Last edited:
    Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    The Meridian is similar but a lot more expensive to the Silva Ranger and a few others. They used to be the compass issued to NSW. The string should be held by the end under your sighting eye and the compass is held at length from the cheek. Adjust the mirror angle down so you can read the dial on the compass and adjust the dial as needed.
    I personally like this type over the lensatic style but both are good to use. The K&R is a pretty spendy compass. You can get something in the under $100 range that will work equally well unless you're going on a expedition to Everest.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The Meridian is similar but a lot more expensive to the Silva Ranger and a few others. They used to be the compass issued to NSW. The string should be held by the end under your sighting eye and the compass is held at length from the cheek. Adjust the mirror angle down so you can read the dial on the compass and adjust the dial as needed.
    I personally like this type over the lensatic style but both are good to use. The K&R is a pretty spendy compass. You can get something in the under $100 range that will work equally well unless you're going on a expedition to Everest.

When on Everest, I just follow the trail of dead bodies.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The problem is, sometimes the dead bodies don't go to the summit. Some go off cliffs or down crevasses instead.

Yeah, it's not a simple as it sounds. Ya gotta learn to read the right body languages.;)

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Yes the three all work similarly.
    The Brunton "Sightmaster" at least. Other models from Brunton are different.
    Suunto its the "Suunto KB-14/360R G" or the "KB-14/360R DG" that work that way.
    Also the Meridian from K&R, but not the meridian pro.
    Both eyes open & the image of the compass rose, the sighting wire & the object being sighted are superimposed.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Yes the three all work similarly.
    The Brunton "Sightmaster" at least. Other models from Brunton are different.
    Suunto its the "Suunto KB-14/360R G" or the "KB-14/360R DG" that work that way.
    Also the Meridian from K&R, but not the meridian pro.
    Both eyes open & the image of the compass rose, the sighting wire & the object being sighted are superimposed.

Perfect, thanks.

I can't seem to find a place in the US that sells the Meridian though.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Lots of places carry the Pro, but it has a different sighting system.:sad20:
    Try this link, maybe you'll get lucky as it lists their dealers.
    http://kandrusa.com/Dealers.html

Yeah, thanks, I tried there.

One link is defunct, most seem to carry only 2-4 models none of which is the Meridian (non-Pro). The compass.com one seems to have every model but, and I even tried to order the Dakar touring model (not a sight-through lens model, but looked interesting and is inexpensive) but that was not is stock.

I'm thinking of the Suunto now. Do you have one of them?

Last edited:

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I do have a Suunto, but not the sight through type.
    I have the MB-6 Matchbox type with the drop down sighting mirror.

DSCF1968_zpsg1zmhtbk.jpg

I tried the "Brunton OSS 70-M" after my old Lensatic died, but found it clunky, difficult to use & way over engineered finding solutions to problems I'd never suffered from.

brunton%2070m_zpsz3nxdkmk.jpg

I don't know if its of any interest to you but there is a knockoff of the Meridian, made in China. I checked one out but didn't get it. It doesn't look bad at all though. Its a clone of the Meridian pro, with the clino, but with the non pro look through optic.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/professiona...pass-w-inclinometer-green-color-/151081217994

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I don't know if its of any interest to you but there is a knockoff of the Meridian, made in China. I checked one out but didn't get it.

That's basically what got me interested. I bought one on Amazon. I forgot what I paid but they are anywhere from $7-$25. The one I got gets good reviews and it does point true however, as you can imagine, it's poorly made and the dial can get in a position where it's off it's axis and won't spin freely.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Its probably balanced for zone 3 (China):lol2::sad20:

In all honesty I'd just go with the Meridian Pro. The prismatic sighting is so close to the see through, unlike the lensatics, that I don't think you'll have a problem.

letmeoutpax

Nov 12, 2013
    St. Mary's
    What are you doing with these kind of compasses?

DIY surveying?

I have one similar to the last link and tried getting bearing and back bearing from Ft. Ticonderoga to Mt. Defiance while on vacation this summer. I got a 20 degree error and was very disappointed until I realized both readings were taken next to large steel flagpoles.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Back country hiking & camping.
    Where I go (in the Ozarks) you're lucky to find a footpath so map & compass together with a decent GPS is pretty helpful.
    The ability to actually shoot an azimuth as well as plan a trek is important because the terrain is pretty vertical & convoluted so planning a route is vital. Because of that I like a compass that will both work with a map & allow me to sight on the trail.

DSCF7038_zpsljb48ann.jpg

DSCF3849_zpsyodnzd0j.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom