• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    and found two possible saws at Harbor Freight. I am thinking the smaller one because of the higher RPM's ( I think I read somewhere that you really should have over6000RPM to cut carbon arrows). Can anyone verify that speed for me? I will also most likely use it to trim cases for ammo. Give me your thoughts on these saws.

http://www.harborfreight.com/bench-top-cut-off-saw-42307.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-cut-off-saw-61204.html

Oh yeah, I know I will need to build supports to keep the arrow flush/squared to the blade, but wanted to hear opinions on the saws.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    RPM's by themselves mean nothing.

The 6" saw at 5000 RPM is going to be a lot faster than the 2" saw at 7800 RPM.

The blade tip of the 2" saw will be moving at 22,619 inches per second; with the 6" saw, over 141,000 inches per second.

Also, compare the motors. 0.9 amps, vs 5 amps.

The 6" saw might be overkill, but the 2" saw looks pretty tepid, to me.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Used the little one for many years to cut arrows until I finally broke down and spent a hundred bucks for a real arrow saw. It works fine, but I always square up the end of my cuts with a G5 ASD (arrow squaring device) when I build them.

It is going into the reloading room now after collecting dust for years.. .time to load some 300blk ammo.. :)

km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    RPM's by themselves mean nothing.

The 6" saw at 5000 RPM is going to be a lot faster than the 2" saw at 7800 RPM.

The blade tip of the 2" saw will be moving at 22,619 inches per second; with the 6" saw, over 141,000 inches per second.

Also, compare the motors. 0.9 amps, vs 5 amps.

The 6" saw might be overkill, but the 2" saw looks pretty tepid, to me.
    This is the knowledge I was looking for. Thanks a lot.
    Used the little one for many years to cut arrows until I finally broke down and spent a hundred bucks for a real arrow saw. It works fine, but I always square up the end of my cuts with a G5 ASD (arrow squaring device) when I build them.

It is going into the reloading room now after collecting dust for years.. .time to load some 300blk ammo.. :)
    You and I are thinking the same thing here....:party29:

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    The 2" saw is a bit tepid, but it works. You have to cut slowly, I rotate the shaft as I cut and I cut dozens and dozens of carbon, aluminum and ACCs with the original blade. I made a jig to guide the shafts and keep the cutoff length consistent. It is a cheap way to cut shafts, but effective.

Sent from 21st century technology

biermkr

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2007
    Almost Heaven
    A word of advice; I tried to buy the 2" saw at the store in Gaithersburg and was informed they cannot carry it due to the fact it was not UL listed. That apparently is against code in Montgomery County. If the saw is still not UL approved you will have to go to another store in a different county.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    A word of advice; I tried to buy the 2" saw at the store in Gaithersburg and was informed they cannot carry it due to the fact it was not UL listed. That apparently is against code in Montgomery County. If the saw is still not UL approved you will have to go to another store in a different county.

:sad20::sad20:MD is ridiculous...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom