• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 28, 2013
    Anyone got a preference for an M7 bayonet vs an M9 or vice versa?

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I'd say it depends if you plan on stickin' or choppin'. As a sticker on the end of a rifle, I like the M7. No real reason, it just seems pokier. For a chopper in my hand, I like the M9. It's weighted better. My only experience comes from running around the woods as a "kid" stickin' and choppin' at the flora (yes...I have done both...with both). Never tried either on any fauna...

That's my 2 cents...for whatever it's worth in this economy...

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I like the M9 better. I'm more into its shape being more knifelike whereas the M7 seems more dagger like. But that's just me.

Feb 28, 2013
    Yeah, I kinda lean toward the M9 myself. Just seems like more of a universal tool, as opposed to bein' JUST a skewer.

I have read on some other sites 'bout some durability issues wif it though, from some guys that claim to have carried 'em over in the sandbox.

Yeah, I kinda lean toward the M9 myself. Just seems like more of a universal tool, as opposed to bein' JUST a skewer.

I have read on some other sites 'bout some durability issues wif it though, from some guys that claim to have carried 'em over in the sandbox.

Heard/read that also but assumed there was more than one company that was contracted and never heard whether one was worse than the other.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

I definitely agree about the M9 being more universal...as everything except a skewer. I've been rolling this around in my head for a little while, and had some additional thoughts. The first of which is that I really wish my bayonets were accessible right now to put my hands on and compare...but they are not.:rolleyes:

If I remember correctly, the handle on the M9 is very (if not completely) round. From what TV has told me (and it makes sense, I guess), knives with very round handles are hard to index (i.e. get and keep the blade in the correct orientation in your hand), especially in stressful or strenuous situations. Flat handles get the blade pointed the right way faster and keep it there, even when forces are pushing back trying to twist it. You also get finer control with a flat handle for detail work.

One of the things that struck me the very first time I picked up an M7 was how good it felt in the hand. Some of that was probably balance, but the shape of the handle just seemed to have better ergonomics. So...an M9 with an M7 handle might be on to something.

Another thought...aesthetics. The slender M7 (I think) looks better on the relatively slim AR barrel. But put that meatcleaver M9 on a Mossberg 590, and you're making one heck of an, "I'll eff you up at close range in more ways than you can imagine" statement.

But I'm just tossing out ideas. Did you have any specific intent, or are we just speculating cuz it's fun?

Feb 28, 2013
    I definitely agree about the M9 being more universal...as everything except a skewer. I've been rolling this around in my head for a little while, and had some additional thoughts. The first of which is that I really wish my bayonets were accessible right now to put my hands on and compare...but they are not.:rolleyes:

If I remember correctly, the handle on the M9 is very (if not completely) round. From what TV has told me (and it makes sense, I guess), knives with very round handles are hard to index (i.e. get and keep the blade in the correct orientation in your hand), especially in stressful or strenuous situations. Flat handles get the blade pointed the right way faster and keep it there, even when forces are pushing back trying to twist it. You also get finer control with a flat handle for detail work.

One of the things that struck me the very first time I picked up an M7 was how good it felt in the hand. Some of that was probably balance, but the shape of the handle just seemed to have better ergonomics. So...an M9 with an M7 handle might be on to something.

Another thought...aesthetics. The slender M7 (I think) looks better on the relatively slim AR barrel. But put that meatcleaver M9 on a Mossberg 590, and you're making one heck of an, "I'll eff you up at close range in more ways than you can imagine" statement.

But I'm just tossing out ideas. Did you have any specific intent, or are we just speculating cuz it's fun?

Well, both I reckon...

My next AR-15 build is gonna be a mid-length. Ain't much sense in havin' a bayo lug if ya can't even put one on it, so I'm just wonderin' what folks would prefer on their SHTF guns.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Well, both I reckon...

My next AR-15 build is gonna be a mid-length. Ain't much sense in havin' a bayo lug if ya can't even put one on it, so I'm just wonderin' what folks would prefer on their SHTF guns.

Weeeellll....in that case...I'd say put the M7 on your rifle (and leave it there) as a sticker, because it's lighter and carry the M9 (or a better knife) on your person/pack as a chopper. :D

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    OKC-3S.

I have both an M7 and M9 and agree with Art and Buff.

+1 for the OKC3S. If you're going to get a bayonet, the ontario knife company's third serrated version punks the M7 and M9 heartily. Just keep in mind that bayonets generally suck at being actually user-friendly knives for tasks. For an actually useful knife, it's hard to beat a marakniv bushcraft black for the money. It'll be muuuuuuuuch better than essentially any bayonet at handheld knife chores.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/FT...re-starter-and-sheath-black-rubberized-handle

2nd=Good+Substantial

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2012
    The Hereford Zone
    I like the M7 on a carbine length but felt it looked a little undersized given the longer midlength handguard. The M9's proportions just looked better to my eye. Also, I could see the M9 working as a field knife if necessary where the M7 seems pretty limited to just a "sticker".

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The M7 will be good for actually using for intended purpose, sticking into thing while fixed onto the end of a 7lb stick.

If you want a proper big knife that just happens to also attatch onto the end of specialized 7lb sticks, go all the way to an OKC-3 , instead of half knife like with M9.

( Yes, if you are limited to issue supply chain, and have a binary choice between M7 and M9 , I can understand some people liking an M9 in that context . Similar to liking an M14 , when binary choice is M14 and first generation M16.)

Feb 28, 2013
    The M7 will be good for actually using for intended purpose, sticking into thing while fixed onto the end of a 7lb stick.

If you want a proper big knife that just happens to also attatch onto the end of specialized 7lb sticks, go all the way to an OKC-3 , instead of half knife like with M9.

( Yes, if you are limited to issue supply chain, and have a binary choice between M7 and M9 , I can understand some people liking an M9 in that context . Similar to liking an M14 , when binary choice is M14 and first generation M16.)

One o' these here?

https://www.amazon.com/Ontario-6504-OKC3S-Marine-Bayonet/dp/B000ET7E0Q

I'm kinds likin' that.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    You can mount a bayonet on a mid-length carbine if you use one of these adapters. Does not look great, but it is fully functional for either the M-7 or the M-9.

http://www.shop.triple-r-products.com/main.sc

you dont need that for a mid-length. A carbine gas block is designed for a 14.5" barrel. With a 16" barrel, carbine gas makes the bayonet sit too far down the barrel...making it look weird. a 16" barrel on mid-length gas needs no adapter...just like rifle length with 20" is also fine.

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    I like the M7 as a good stabby pokey...but if I want to do knife things, M9 all day. The thickness of the M9 blade just fills you with confidence. The OKC-3S is nice and I love it, but I prefer the intangibles (history, tradition) of the Ka-Bar if I need to get my Rah on.

DHywO6.jpg

(M7, M9, OKC3S)

3o6oaM.jpg

(M7, M9, Ka-bar, OKC-3S)

Feb 28, 2013
    I like the M7 as a good stabby pokey...but if I want to do knife things, M9 all day. The thickness of the M9 blade just fills you with confidence. The OKC-3S is nice and I love it, but I prefer the intangibles (history, tradition) of the Ka-Bar if I need to get my Rah on.

DHywO6.jpg

(M7, M9, OKC3S)

3o6oaM.jpg

(M7, M9, Ka-bar, OKC-3S)
    Nice familly picture. :D

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    check out construction and what's under the handles of those different bayos. The okc3s is built like a tank and the handle is pretty ergonomic. It's a bit long, but feels more useful as a knife than the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom