• Feb 6, 2012
    Look at what came in the mail today:

2uf3p6o.jpg

29bg0o8.jpg

2hn4ynb.jpg

Size comparison with the MUT and RAT1:
    21ov78h.jpg

3502vxw.jpg

It is used, so it has some slight wear and absolutely no edge, but I got it for a good price considering it came with a carbon fiber scale (which I plan to sell.) I don't have a sharpener that would do anything for S35 so I'm considering getting a Spyderco sharpmaker when I have the time. Thoughts?

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Nice grab! I have a Gen 2. I like your gen more minus everything but the pocket clip. They are incredibly durable knives. You can do things with them that would destroy most other knives. The ability to detail strip the entire life completely, clean/lube, and reassemble in under 5 minutes is also a major plus.

S35VN is exceptional steel...it has very fine and consistent element dispersion, can keep an edge exceptionally well, is stupid tough, it is very corrosion resistant, it resists scratching well, and is actually easier to sharpen than S30 due to the increased vanadium. I think compared to already excellent S30V, S35VN makes great improvements. Like Chris Reeves, ZT's S35VN tends to be a little softer than some other makers. Given these knives are used for heavier tasks, this is a great thing because it yields increased impact resistance/toughness and allows one to push the knife harder. Still tho, users may find that CPM-S35VN is still a good bit more difficult to sharpen than some other stainless steels...a major reason is because S35VN is significantly tougher than many other stainless knife steels.

As for the SharpMaker, buy it and don't look back. There isn't anything else with anywhere near the capability for the price...and unless you will get the $300+ EdgePro or WickedEdge, it's the best option out there. No product other than the SM will allow one to do so much. You'll find S35VN (and even most super steels) are easy to sharpen with it. Other than something like ZDP-189 hardened to 66-67+ HRC, the two-stone system is enough to handle almost anything. The UF stones helps take the edge to a degree of sharpness exceeding that of when the knife was brand new.

This thread I discussed the SM in more detail...it may help.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=2797748

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Hope it helps!

I almost forgot to add...if you find you do not like the pocket clip (which was a common complaint), there are some other options and a few 3rd party companies have made low-ride pocket clips for the Gen 1.

If you ever need parts, I do a lot of business with Kershaw Guy as he gets tons of blems...he is probably a good source given he still was getting some Gen1 0550s last I heard
    http://kershawguy.com/products-page/zt-blems/zt0550-1st-gen-blem/

GarP

Nov 3, 2013
    Howdy NicZac
    I've recently become the proud owner of a ZT-0550 Gen 1 & put a decent scale on it. I cannot find a replacement clip however & do not like the original, I want something deeper sitting & preferably titanium but steel would do at a pinch. Could you post links to anyone that has them in stock? Cheers, GarP

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Howdy NicZac
    I've recently become the proud owner of a ZT-0550 Gen 1 & put a decent scale on it. I cannot find a replacement clip however & do not like the original, I want something deeper sitting & preferably titanium but steel would do at a pinch. Could you post links to anyone that has them in stock? Cheers, GarP

Hi GarP, the best place to start is with STR. He makes amazing clips, and has a lot of contact with people who do custom work. His low-ride clips are exceptional. I have one for my Spyderco Paramilitary and it makes a great knife into a better knife.
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/810-STR-s-Backyard-KnifeWorks

Unique Titanium made a clip...but I do not think it is in production anymore...which is a shame as I've handled this clip in person and it is GREAT.
    http://www.uniquetitanium.com/ZT-Ti-Clip_p_360.html

Other makers have made these in the past because people HATE the ZT clip (hence they quick release of the 550 gen2). But because the gen1's are getting scarce, a lot of people have ramped down production on this specific product. So that makes it a little harder.

If you find ti clip you like and want it (or the entire ti-part of the knife) to be anodized, I have an excellent recommendation...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom