• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Anyone know anything about Japanese swords?

This was a gift to my grandfather from a family friend. The friend served in the pacific in WW2 and I think he brought it back. That's sort of what I remember anyway. I was a kid And remember him drinking with my grandfather and telling stories but I don't really remember details.
    108e5d69dbadab7e6d20991390c3eab6.jpg

94af4a8fc9b011d410e654e8b566f865.jpg

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I'll look for the business card from the guy I went to. He is the president of the local Jap sword club or something. Dale I think was his name. He referred me to an old japanese guy in a dojo who was very helpful. I had my swords go through Shinza to get verified then sold them for some good cash. I'll dig into my old business card pile.

The handle looks like a Russo-Japanese war era.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    It's a parade/dress sword, used by both Army and Police organizations prior to and during WWII. 99% of these have machine made, plated blades with artificial temper lines, mostly these were just for show. Yours does have a "mon" or family crest on the handle though (the silver disc-thing on the top of the handle), however there were so many it's basically impossible to track it to a specific family. Value wise they aren't worth a ton, they are pretty common and most people who collect Japanese swords want the "real thing" or the traditionally made nihonto. The mon adds some value, if the blade is in decent shape it's probably worth $150-225.

Still a really cool piece of WWII history and it looks to be in pretty good shape too. A lot of times the wire wrap on the grip comes loose on these, yours still looks nice and tight. I picked this one up a few years ago at an estate sale for like $40, but it's not nearly as nice as yours. Grip wires are loose and scabbard has a good bit of rust. Seems most that come around are well worn though so you have a keeper! Definitely keep it in the family!

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      75.6 KB · Views: 373
    Last edited:

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Thanks everybody. From what I could find it seemed it could have been either police or army. I saw online what KH195 was taking about with the artificial temper lines. That's how mine is as far as I can tell. I was curious about that disc on the handle. Thanks for clearing that up.
    Mo markings on the blade that I saw.
    I'm not,worried about value. Not going to sell it since it was a gift to my grandfather and he gave it to me. I'm just looking for info.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    Unfortunately, I don't have any real nihonto or historical swords but rather custom forged ones made in that style by master blade smiths using modern steels and heat treats in addition to differential tempering, e.g. here is my smallest formal tanto with a san-mai 1095/cable blade ~9 1/2" w/sea snake skin & water buffalo horn saya and hammer-finished copper habaki.

Attachments

• jhcable-steel1.jpg
      jhcable-steel1.jpg
      39.4 KB · Views: 159
    • jhsaya1.jpg
      jhsaya1.jpg
      31 KB · Views: 155
    • jhsnake-skin1.jpg
      jhsnake-skin1.jpg
      33.2 KB · Views: 163

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts