• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Orthogonal

Jul 23, 2013
    Bel Air
    I don't say this to sway you from spyderco, they make AMAZING products......just really get you thinking about your needs vs wasting money on a knife that doesn't 100% fit your needs.

I was seriously lusting after that benchmade for my truck, but I couldn't justify it, as I already have one of those glass breaker/belt cutter thingies, a small crowbar, and an axe in there.

For EDC, for those of us that can't carry, a blade without a point isn't really useful for the main use case: if it's needed for self defense.

ponypeddler87

Feb 17, 2013
    St. Marys
    I have been unimpressed by my S110V Manix2, never dulls from wear, but I use it for everything, and the blade looses it's edge from rolls and chips, then to bring it back, it takes forever to sharpen, my S30V versions resist damage much better and end up keeping a useful edge longer, and are much easier to strop and sharpen. I do love the FRN lightweight design though, and even with it's flaws, still a big step up from BD1. Wish they would come out with a lightweight in M4 or 204P with a deep carry clip.

Yea chipping for S110V is a very serious thing. With very hard steel you have to worry about micro chipping. I find my edge last a long time. You have to be careful somewhat with how you use it. Yea as I was saying I wouldn't want to sharpen it by hand. I use a Wicked edge and that takes long enough.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Yea chipping for S110V is a very serious thing. With very hard steel you have to worry about micro chipping. I find my edge last a long time. You have to be careful somewhat with how you use it. Yea as I was saying I wouldn't want to sharpen it by hand. I use a Wicked edge and that takes long enough.

For a smaller, more delicate knife, it would probably be the ultimate steel, but the Manix series are primarily utility knives, tons of traction and leverage for cutting. I try to reserve my S110LW for delicate, fine cutting, then beat the hell out of my Manix2 XL and H1 serrated stuff. Would love a serrated Manix2LW in H1. That steel is fantastic, if it rolls, just steel or strop it, and it comes back every time, have never had it chip, and it's not all that easy to roll either, the main selling point, that it is rustproof is nice, but not it's best quality IMO.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    The Sage 3 does carry deeper "stock" than the other two. But deep carry clips are available for most Spyderco models. The Manix 2, plus an aftermarket deep carry clip retails about the same price as a Sage 3.

Since father's day is over, this was really a gift for dad.

Any idea where he can get a deep pocket clip in black for the PM2?

Casey lynch seems to be popular, but not sure he does black.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye