• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas

Villiage Idiot
    Nov 16, 2016
    Accokeek
    It looks like from the older information on the forum that it is ok to carry a long gun in the truck of my car as long as it is unloaded. Just want to make sure that nothing has changed in the past few months.

Plan is to mount a little 30.30 with an adjustable stock onto the truck lid. I want to keep the rounds in the trunk in a compression butt cuff within reach but not in the firearm.

Yea I know I said compression butt cuff. I don't really have another use for the 30.30 anymore so I figured I can put it to work as a trunk gun.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    EW

Better to have a semi auto, mag fed truck gun. But if that's what you've got, it's much better than nothing.

Texas

Villiage Idiot
    Nov 16, 2016
    Accokeek
    EW

Better to have a semi auto, mag fed truck gun. But if that's what you've got, it's much better than nothing.

What the hell else can I use that thing for? I am going into it this week to sand down some of the action points that like to drag a little. I figure if I can make the action sing it might be useful. Hell, I might go tacticool and put a lazer on it's freaking head.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes. Mostly.

Under State Law only requires unloaded. There are a few local ordances predating State Preemption. Baltimore City, Leonardtown, and iirc Rockville require a case. There are some threads on this from about 3yr ago, but I'm not up to finding them right now.

And I don't look down on .30-30s , the only factor deployment time from start to initial bang . Be aware, and adjust initiating deployment appropriately.

Texas

Villiage Idiot
    Nov 16, 2016
    Accokeek
    Yes. Mostly.

Under State Law only requires unloaded. There are a few local ordances predating State Preemption. Baltimore City, Leonardtown, and iirc Rockville require a case. There are some threads on this from about 3yr ago, but I'm not up to finding them right now.

And I don't look down on .30-30s , the only factor deployment time from start to initial bang . Be aware, and adjust initiating deployment appropriately.

Bigfoot, it is an ugly little gun. It does chuck decent sized round though. I have no idea why anyone would make a "tactical" lever action but they did.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    What the hell else can I use that thing for? I am going into it this week to sand down some of the action points that like to drag a little. I figure if I can make the action sing it might be useful. Hell, I might go tacticool and put a lazer on it's freaking head.

Mon Dieu, I think it looks scary enough that you might not even need to chamber a round! ;)

I am grasping for adjectives to describe its appearance (being a fan of 30-30 lever actions with wood furniture and blued steel) - atrocity, monstrosity, and abomination all seem inadequate.

And this is not directed at you, who was brave enough to post a picture, nor your uncle, who was kind enough to give you a firearm ... but it is directed at whomever designed this Medusa, irrespective of what practical advantages it might possess. :eek:

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    982aebe2d39aaf5c291f64f526166066.jpg

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    A .30-30 would make for an excellent trunk or behind the seat rifle.

Decent capacity. Hard hitting. You can reach out with it. You can mount optics on it. And you can keep the magazine topped off through the loading gate.

They don't have the perceived scariness of the EBR. If found by da POPO, you have a better chance of going home with it. If stolen, it would be less expensive to replace it.

And the person who designed the tacti-cool lever gun should be beaten. Repeatedly.

Texas

Villiage Idiot
    Nov 16, 2016
    Accokeek
    I never said it was pretty, I am just trying to find something to do with it. Back to the original point I didn't see anyone state that there has been any change made to MD law since the last debate over trunk long guns.
    Alight I am off to find an ACOG for it. :D

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I never said it was pretty, I am just trying to find something to do with it. Back to the original point I didn't see anyone state that there has been any change made to MD law since the last debate over trunk long guns.
    Alight I am off to find an ACOG for it. :D

Don't forget zee laser sighting, yah?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    AFAIK ACOG's ain't made with 30-30 BDC's. I'd slap a micro red dot sight on it (like an Aimpoint Micro not an RMR) and call it a day. If you use Hornady Leverevolution I've seen them be pushed out to 250 yards unsupported.

I'd also slap a Streamlight Pro Tac Rail Mount 2 on it.

The only thing I don't like about those guns is the stock. The railed forend lets you put a handstop so you can dig it into your shoulder, the short barrel length means it's handier, and the threaded barrel comes with a good flashhider.
    Everyone else has covered the basics, it's a famous easily available round with good terminal ballistics, you can top off the mag as you shoot, and bonus points here you can chuck it in a folding chair bag and no one is any the wiser.

If they where available with a fixed polymer stock I'd buy 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom