• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    This is the idiocy of the law in a nutshell. And the OP is also pointing out the other intent of this law. It doesn't just make it harder for customers to buy handguns, it makes it a lot harder on the dealers. Imagine how many people are interested in buying a handgun but aren't willing or able to put the time, effort, and money into the HQL BS just to be able to buy. How does one think a car dealer would make out if every person who came on the lot had to go get a new driver's license before they could put a deposit down on a new car and then wait seven days after that to pick it up. Making people wait to own kills retail sales, and those bastards who promoted this law knew it. I also give all the credit in the world to our IP's and LGS who have stuck with us through all of this.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    my next move (retirement) will likely be to WV or PA. After having lived 43 of my 46 years in MD. Sad.

Been here 40 years myself, and turn 77 in April, and I fully blame those 40 years in the DC-Balt Corridor with trashing my outlook on things. There's absolutely no other reason.

But, I've been chosen by our maker to leave this world much sooner than I'd ever planned.

Lew--Ranger63

earle9966

Jan 29, 2017
    Whiteford, MD
    Welcome and condolences. Navigating the HQL and first handgun purchase process is, by design, meant to discourage you from owning a regulated firearm in MD. Once you realize that, you can only wonder how many people have just given-up after seeing the kind of rodeo they have to go-thru to get an HQL and finally be allowed to purchase a handgun. It's ridiculous. It's a violation of our 2A rights...and unfortunately how it works (for now) in MD. There are many here in the forums who simply refuse to subject themselves to all the BS just to buy a new handgun and I totally understand their reasons.

But don't give-up! You've taken the right step by coming on Maryland Shooters and describing your hassle. There's a boatload of experienced owners, shooters, 2A activists here that can offer solid advice so welcome aboard.

If I were going to offer advice, I'd tell any new resident to first find an FFL/LGS willing to mentally walk them thru all the steps of obtaining an HQL and first handgun purchase. When I finally got mine in 2014, I was lucky enough to have a friend who already had one. That made things a bit easier but, if a gun shop really wants your business they should go thru it with you from soup to nuts. That way, you would have some realistic expectations. The biggest PITA for me was finding time to get fingerprinted. I actually had to take a paid day-off from work to make it happen. Then, you have to hurry-up and wait for that card to come in the mail. Then, like you said, hurry-up and wait another 7 days. Fun, isn't it? If nothing else, you'll have a pretty good idea about the limits of your patience after it's all said and done and you're at the range with your son, finally doing what you should be able to do without all the BS.

Is it worth it? It was for me but, as a veteran, I was able to skip the safety classes and get my HQL in the mail about 8 days after the fingerprinting part of it was done. Do yourself a favor and apply for your MD Designated Collector license after getting your HQL. It will make you exempt from the 30 day restriction on regulated firearm purchases. You'll still have to do the 7-day wait but, at least, they won't be able to prevent you from buying what you want and when you want it.

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Pages/CriminalInvestigationBureau/LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmsCollectors.aspx

The only thing it'll cost is your time to get it notarized and mailed-in. Takes about 3-4 weeks to get it after they receive it.

I don't plan to give up. But I would like to become more educated and maybe help to improve this ridiculous process. Or at least help the ones who can.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I don't plan to give up. But I would like to become more educated and maybe help to improve this ridiculous process. Or at least help the ones who can.

The only way to help to improve the ridiculous process is to help install a more 2A friendly General Assembly.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Maryland's would-be totalitarian governing masters have failed in their efforts to dissuade you from exercising your 2A rights. The AG and MD Gen. ASS'y might want to use you -- or people like you -- who haven't given up, as a case study to try to figure out what additional burdens to impose in order to get people to cry "uncle," then take up liberal environmental causes as a hobby, instead of shooting.

Illegitimi non carborundum - Don't let the bastards wear you down.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    1: Skip the HQL.

2: Get your C&R licenses.

3: Buy your C&R pistols from one of our many on-line distributors.

4: Have them shipped directly to your front door.

5: Giggle like a couple of giddy school girls for bypassing Maryland's BS handgun laws.

6: Take your C&R pistols to the range and shoot them.

7: Giggle some more.

While I don't disagree that this is a viable work around... if you think that Annapolis won't try to close this door in the near future, you are fooling yourself, my friend. Several states have already banned direct sales of handguns to FFL03 holders, and if we don't stay vigilant it will happen here.

Annapolis has declared war on the rights of its subjects. Period.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    The only way to help to improve the ridiculous process is to help install a more 2A friendly General Assembly.

^^^^ This x10,000.

Maryland's would-be totalitarian governing masters have failed in their efforts to dissuade you from exercising your 2A rights. The AG and MD Gen. ASS'y might want to use you -- or people like you -- who haven't given up, as a case study to try to figure out what additional burdens to impose in order to get people to cry "uncle," then take up liberal environmental causes as a hobby, instead of shooting.

Illegitimi non carborundum - Don't let the bastards wear you down.

There is no other logical explanation. None whatsoever.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    A C&R FFL-03 license is good for 3 years and a great deal for $30. You can have a firearm shipped to your front door no HQL required. There are some great C&R hands guns at very good prices, they are not light and sometimes not much to look at but you can find one that will be a great shooter without all that Maryland HQL BS. One thing to keep in mind Maryland still has 10 round magazines limit. Here a short list, but here are many others that fall under the C&R FFL-03 license. Also the FFL-03 is for interstate or between states not in state purchases.

Here are a few of the common ones I like :thumbsup:

CZ-82 (like a Welters PPK) (9x18) 9mm Makarov
    Bulgarian Makarov (9x18) 9mm Makarov
    Star Model B (like a 1911) (9x19) parabellum
    Tokarev TT-33 (like a 1911) (7.62x25)
    P-38 (9x19) parabellum
    P-64 (9x18) 9mm Makarov
    [FONT=&quot]CZ-52 (7.62x25)

[FONT=&quot]Many pe[FONT=&quot]ople use the P-64 and CZ-82 as CCW most are not in these stat[FONT=&quot]e[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
    [/FONT]

I suspect Maryland turns law-abiding gun owners into criminals every day, when the gun owner decides to ignore one or more of these stupid, repressive regulations. And I think most all of this is driven by thugs in the 'hood beefin' with each other over who gets to sell crack on some corner in Baltimore. Damn this state. Someday, not soon enough, I will leave it for good.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    This is the idiocy of the law in a nutshell. And the OP is also pointing out the other intent of this law. It doesn't just make it harder for customers to buy handguns, it makes it a lot harder on the dealers. Imagine how many people are interested in buying a handgun but aren't willing or able to put the time, effort, and money into the HQL BS just to be able to buy. How does one think a car dealer would make out if every person who came on the lot had to go get a new driver's license before they could put a deposit down on a new car and then wait seven days after that to pick it up. Making people wait to own kills retail sales, and those bastards who promoted this law knew it. I also give all the credit in the world to our IP's and LGS who have stuck with us through all of this.

Some of us refuse to be fingerprinted like a criminal in order to exercise a Constitutional right.

Are reporters and media people fingerprinted before they can be published? The pen is mightier than the sword, after all. Those people need to be vetted. :sarcasm:

Are people required to be fingerprinted to go to a church? More people have died in the name and for the sake of religion than any other reason except communism (which is a cult/religion of the State)

How about fingerprinting in order to travel? To exercise any other right?

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    Exactly why I have no intention of buying another pistol. I bought the I have because of the HQL and frankly would not have bought it otherwise because the Mrs. already has one we use.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Change to a democrat. Yes you will feel terrible but it is the only way to make a difference. Vote for the new guy (against a incumbent) or the least likely candidate to win. That is for primaries only come Election Day vote for the pro gun candidate

I fully and wholeheartedly believe in the DINO movement.

--> Democrat In Name Only

earle9966

Jan 29, 2017
    Whiteford, MD
    What are you buying?

Eyes on the prize.

How's the range you guys built?

Pictures?

I'm getting a Sig P320 9mm compact w/ night sights. My son is getting a Canic full size 9mm.
    I already have a Browning high-power 9mm that I like shooting.

The range is built. I have plenty of bank for back stop. I put some sand in for added bullet stopping. I'm working on a dueling tree and some steel plate targets. Been using firewood slabs and a dancing ball for now.

Attachments

• Range pic 1.jpg
      Range pic 1.jpg
      99.6 KB · Views: 282
    • Range pic 2.jpg
      Range pic 2.jpg
      116 KB · Views: 288

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I work right next to the Whiteford area. If I hear pew pew I'll know it's you. Lol

Sorry to hear about your HQL class experience, pm me if you ever want to look into additional training.

TD

earle9966

Jan 29, 2017
    Whiteford, MD
    I work right next to the Whiteford area. If I hear pew pew I'll know it's you. Lol

Sorry to hear about your HQL class experience, pm me if you ever want to look into additional training.

TD

LOL
    Nobody comes to Whiteford for work unless it's for security or power.
    I'll try to keep it down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom