• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    As you said, old article (Oct 2016). You posted similar concerns in Nov 2016. Did you mean to cite the article then, as we've already had a back and forth on this topic and this really isn't an update.

I can give an update on my well used 226 purchased in 2016 with the PVD coating. No flaking, chipping, or holster wear issues thus far. I would expect some holster wear in time, but I don't really care as I view it as a tool. It has exceeded my expectations as a SAO shooter with excellent magazine capacity. I've had plenty of handguns (some more expensive), and this is my first choice for HD.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    No flaking, chipping, or holster wear issues thus far.

And there isn't any on his either, otherwise he would've posted 100+ pics of it by now.

This has gotta be either one of the worst cases of buyer's remorse I've ever seen or someone who is desperately seeking attention. Or both. Take your pick.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    And there isn't any on his either, otherwise he would've posted 100+ pics of it by now.

This has gotta be either one of the worst cases of buyer's remorse I've ever seen or someone who is desperately seeking attention. Or both. Take your pick.

If this is the case, I don't blame him. For the price, I probably wouldn't have bought the P226 DA/SA Legion model either (I might have considered it for the P229, though). The SAO option was way more appealing to me, and I love the flat trigger and the revolver-like single-action break this gun has. I realize that one could probably buy an older Sig P226 in SAO and get the trigger work as well as the flat trigger (and get X-ray sights, as well as as grip tape in the spots that the Legion frame has additional serrations), but the convenience of getting the whole package with their SAO implementation pushed me over the edge.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    If this is the case, I don't blame him.

I do blame him. He fell for the hype and ballyhoo that was part of Sig's marketing strategy for the Legion...and he isn't happy so, instead of just selling/trading the damn thing (like anyone else would do), he obsessively trawls the web for every article he can find that validates his buyer's remorse then, comes over from Sig Talk every couple of months to take the verbal equivalent of a shit in this thread.

How pathetic.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    If you are afraid of or don't want something to have any wear and tear, then don't use it. When you have rust on the "worn parts", then show pics. Until then, let it be your safe queen. Or sell it to someone who will actually use it, for $600.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I do blame him. He fell for the hype and ballyhoo that was part of Sig's marketing strategy for the Legion...and he isn't happy so, instead of just selling/trading the damn thing (like anyone else would do), he obsessively trawls the web for every article he can find that validates his buyer's remorse then, comes over from Sig Talk every couple of months to take the verbal equivalent of a shit in this thread.

How pathetic.

Right. And in the end after all that "research", he stills has the POS gun. " Hey look at me! I am holding on to a gun I think is a piece of shit!" "Looky here".

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    As you said, old article (Oct 2016). You posted similar concerns in Nov 2016. Did you mean to cite the article then, as we've already had a back and forth on this topic and this really isn't an update.

I can give an update on my well used 226 purchased in 2016 with the PVD coating. No flaking, chipping, or holster wear issues thus far. I would expect some holster wear in time, but I don't really care as I view it as a tool. It has exceeded my expectations as a SAO shooter with excellent magazine capacity. I've had plenty of handguns (some more expensive), and this is my first choice for HD.

No, as I said in post #6 I like it despite the shortcomings and in post #20 it was normal wear.

Never saw the article and thought it was interesting this had reached a fairly
    well read website and the research they did shows the 2015 models tended to do better than the 2016 models.

I shoot it a a lot, or more than average, and am at about 6,000 rounds already. So a smidgen under 1,000 rounds a month and not one misfire. The finish has the same wear as in some of the pictures with the PVD coating on the rails completely gone with the protective gold coating showing through. Noticed a large missing piece of coating on the proprietary rail today after shooting. It is what it is. At 50,000 rounds I'll get it overhauled with a Cerakote finish.

I'm lucky not to be as unfortunate as this guy who is a Sig forum moderator. So needless to say he loves Sigs and Sig has been working with him to fix his problems. They have good customer service. Of note though, in the video he has a different front sight that breaks. Not so sure that is Sig's fault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8gTMTvZeLw&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    No, as I said in post #6 I like it despite the shortcomings and in post #20 it was normal wear.

Never saw the article and thought it was interesting this had reached a fairly
    well read website and the research they did shows the 2015 models tended to do better than the 2016 models.

I shoot it a a lot and am at about 6,000 rounds already. So a smidgen under 1,000 rounds a month and not one misfire. The finish has the same wear as in some of the pictures with the PVD coating on the rails completely gone with the protective gold coating showing through.

I'm lucky not to be as unfortunate as this guy who is a Sig forum moderator. So needless to say he loves Sigs and Sig has been working with him to fix his problems. They have good customer service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8gTMTvZeLw&feature=youtu.be

So you posted someone else's problem that Sig is fixing? Wow you must be right.

If that isn't your gun and it isn't my gun neither one of us knows how it was stored or handled. Regardless of the owner is on a certain forum or not.

If Sig is working with the guy what's the big deal?

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    That is a fact though he says he babies it

On the car forum I'm on there were many folks who showed up complaining about blown transmissions...every one of those guys babied their cars...or at least that's what they tried to sell us and the factory repair techs on.

Not calling the guy who posted the picture a liar but no one besides himself really knows.

While there might be some finish issues that doesn't look like the case to me from his one picture. If it was "par" there would be more complaints then this one guy.

Is yours comparable to this guys?

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    On the car forum I'm on there were many folks who showed up complaining about blown transmissions...every one of those guys babied their cars...or at least that's what they tried to sell us and the factory repair techs on.

Not calling the guy who posted the picture a liar but no one besides himself really knows.

While there might be some finish issues that doesn't look like the case to me from his one picture. If it was "par" there would be more complaints then this one guy.

Is yours comparable to this guys?

No my finish is on par with most people's. Which is more wear than other firearms with non-PVD finishes. There is the PVD top coat which is for show and the undercoating that is the protective coating. So it isn't really PVD coating in as much as the definition of what PVD is.

Anyway, I hate it so much I'm probably going to get the P220 Legion that was introduced at Shot Show this past year. Beyond all the hype its the GreyGuns trigger that makes the Legion. You can send in a P series Sig to him to get the same trigger retrofitted. I think the wait time is 6 months or so says his website. However, there is a series of YouTube videos of someone upgrading their old P226 to as close as a Legion as possible. I think there are 6 videos so far. So you can do the trigger and other things yourself if you have the know how. Less cost and no wait. I replaced a trigger on another pistol and I don't have the patience. I'd rather let a pro do it or get a proper Legion series.

He is getting heat from people about his rust and problems. It is the internet, after all, therefore people are beyond normal. So reading comprehension is low and snarky comments are plenty. Shocking I know. :rolleyes: The other pictures he has show no rust except on the slide so it leads me to believe something might have been spilled on it at some point or whatever he uses to clean it is harming it.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    The other pictures he has show no rust except on the slide so it leads me to believe something might have been spilled on it at some point or whatever he uses to clean it is harming it.

Looking even at just that one picture, that rust is NOT a problem with the PVD slide finish. The rear sight isn't PVD, and it's covered with crap. The safety and slide catch levers likewise. The problems that he's having with that pistol aren't caused solely by bad PVD finish. Either he stores it somewhere damp, or he spilled something on it, or his sweat is really corrosive, or something. Otherwise, why are all the non-PVD parts looking just as crappy as the PVD ones?

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Looking even at just that one picture, that rust is NOT a problem with the PVD slide finish. The rear sight isn't PVD, and it's covered with crap. The safety and slide catch levers likewise. The problems that he's having with that pistol aren't caused solely by bad PVD finish. Either he stores it somewhere damp, or he spilled something on it, or his sweat is really corrosive, or something. Otherwise, why are all the non-PVD parts looking just as crappy as the PVD ones?
    I agree. Rust, like that, doesn't just appear overnight either. So something is amiss he isn't revealing but, again, to Sig's credit they are going to fix the slide for him for free. So you can't complain about that. I don't know what happened with that front sight. It's not an X-Ray sight being the front sight is orange.

tomrkba

Jan 22, 2017
    I'm having a hard time justifying $700 for a handgun let alone close to that amount.

Without sounding stupid, again; how much do you all have invested in your collections? Honest, I'm curious.

If I only had all the guns I have sold off! :gun2:

I once calculated the cost in guns alone on my "revolver quest". It came out to around $15,000.

It comes down to what you want for your requirements and sticking to it. It seems like many people just want a good self-defense gun that they can use for the occasional competition or weekly plinking. A guy can do fine with nothing but a Glock 19 and AR/AK. But where's the fun in that?

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    That pic above is wack. He's doing or using something that's not right. Storing it wrong. I'd love a Legion. But, I'd just settle for that trigger for my 229.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I watched a couple of "Steve Jenkins " YT videos on the upgrade to Legion specs. It seems that a legion is worth it. Albeit if you really want it. I'd ship my 229 off to sig for the AEP and SRT kit and call it good. As I have said in this or another legion thread, the undercut and beavertail, when added to the trigger, make this gun worth the small price increase.

tomrkba

Jan 22, 2017
    Is the P226 Legion SAO on the "If it pleases the crown" list of guns the peasantry can own in Maryland?

Fester60

Feb 1, 2010
    PA
    My brother just picked one of these up. We shot it yesterday. Very nice recoil. I love the grips, lots of texture. The trigger is unbelievable. Probably the best trigger on a handgun I've ever shot. His finish looks fine, granted he just got it and it was made in January. I'm thinking of selling some stuff and getting my own now. It is pricey, but a very nice handgun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom