• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DigDug

Oct 21, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Currently have three members interested in a beginners class in late May. Bumping to the top in the hope of getting more interest. Need a couple more folks. PM if you are interested or have questions. Thanks.

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    I have two questions.

The first is about round counts. Last year we had 150 rounds, Which i don't think I used that many last year. Will the round count be the same or increase due to the smaller class sizes?

The last question is campgrounds. Any recommendations? Looks like there are a few by the lake and one outside of Louisa.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I have two questions.

The first is about round counts. Last year we had 150 rounds, Which i don't think I used that many last year. Will the round count be the same or increase due to the smaller class sizes?
    You should be able to shoot more this time out and I would suggest you bring 150-160 rounds. Having a few extra rounds is cheap insurance in case we have some sort of issue. You may not need it all, but I hate to have anyone run out and you are always welcome to take it home, leaving it here is, of course, optional. :)
    The last question is campgrounds. Any recommendations? Looks like there are a few by the lake and one outside of Louisa.
    Our operations will be roughly centered between Louisa and Gordonsville, and we'll be meeting in Gordonsville, at least on Day One and probably Day Two as well.

"Small Country", just outside Louisa, is going to be most convenient.
    "Christopher Run" is next closest I am aware of - pretty good ride to G-ville, but not too far from the range.
    Lake Anna Park has a campground, but you're getting pretty far east x northeast of the action.

If you need a list of local lodging, PM or email me through the site here.

redsandman6, check your messages.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    I would like to offer some unsolicited advice, based on my experience shooting with Ed over the years:

Be prompt.

Mind your manners.

Be open-minded. Ed (usually) doesn't suggest things for shits and giggles. ;)

Listen carefully.

Say what you mean and do what you say.

Ask a ton of questions. Ed knows almost everything about almost everything.

Get ready to have a great time. For the small fee Ed is asking for, you will get as much out of it as you are able to.

Try to be as ready as you can be ahead of time. If anyone has gear or preparation questions, ask away. There are a lot of people on this forum who have taken classes from Ed.

Accommodations:
    Given the total cost of the event; course fee, ammo, gas, food, vacation/PTO, time spent at the reloading bench, I would consider carefully the value of any potential savings to be had by staying at a campground. I have stayed at Small Country and the State Park. I now consider it a waste of money. After a full day of "drinking through the fire hose," select something close, easy to get set for bed and comfortable. I love camping, but I never sleep as well as I do with a mattress and HVAC. Without being well-rested, you won't get as high return on your investment. Save the camping trips for camping trips.

If you are coming down as a group, check out Shade Tree Cottage on Airbnb. The host had bacon and eggs fresh from the chicken's ass (cloaca.) It is also right around the corner from the BBQ joint. A huge bonus.

The Holiday Inn in Orange is also a reasonable place to stay. Close enough, cheap enough, comfortable enough.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    I agree with everything you said. I took the class last year and stayed in the holiday inn. the reason I was asking about camping because the 3 hotels in orange have no rooms available. I haven't tried B&B's yet. that is my next step. I also do not want to stay in Culpeper the drive is probably 45 minutes to and hour. it is more about being close than saving money. now don't get me wrong I don't want to pay $225 a night for a room either. so camping seems like a good alternative.

I checked the shady tree cottage and it is also booked.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    I agree with everything you said. I took the class last year and stayed in the holiday inn. the reason I was asking about camping because the 3 hotels in orange have no rooms available. I haven't tried B&B's yet. that is my next step. I also do not want to stay in Culpeper the drive is probably 45 minutes to and hour. it is more about being close than saving money. now don't get me wrong I don't want to pay $225 a night for a room either. so camping seems like a good alternative.

I checked the shady tree cottage and it is also booked.
    I don't blame you there. $225 is steep.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

svana

NRA Life Member
    Dec 28, 2012
    Sterling, VA
    Hey everyone, we're looking for one more person for an intermediate class tentatively for July 22-23. If anyone's interested just shoot me a PM.

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    Last year I stayed in Culpeper, becacause everything closer was booked. The drive was easy, about 40 minutes, just take your coffee on the road.
    Culpeper has a nice nanobrewery too.
    http://www.fargohnbrewing.com/

Take DZ'S advice, he is spot, and don't miss out on the BBQ.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    My group may be looking for one or two for basic level course May 6/7. Probably one, but maybe two folks. PM me with your contact info so we can take it to email.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    Anyone able to switch beginners class date with me? I signed up for the April 22-23 dates. They just announced my daughters soccer schedule and low and behold the 2 games which are furthest away are now on that weekend.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Anyone able to switch beginners class date with me? I signed up for the April 22-23 dates. They just announced my daughters soccer schedule and low and behold the 2 games which are furthest away are now on that weekend.

If the other date that you want isn't filled or someone doesn't want to switch I will take your spot. I'm not in any class yet.

enya60h

Dec 10, 2011
    I am heading out to shoot with Ed on 7/15. I don't mind taking 1-2 intermediate/advanced shooters with me.

If you're interested, let me know.

i will take spot if you need another shooter let me know thanks

NatBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jan 4, 2012
    Baltimore
    Question for those that have attended. I'm shopping for a bipod and am looking at the Harris SLM in 6-9", and 9-13". I don't want to spend the money for both. Do I need the 9-13 to get out to 1200yds, and if I go with it, will it be too high for the closer distances?

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Question for those that have attended. I'm shopping for a bipod and am looking at the Harris SLM in 6-9", and 9-13". I don't want to spend the money for both. Do I need the 9-13 to get out to 1200yds, and if I go with it, will it be too high for the closer distances?

I bought the 6-9" and am hoping for the best. Interested to hear what the brain trust says.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom