• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I own one of these and to say it's a tack driver is an understatement. My forcing cone gap is around .006 so it's been retired to my safe. I use a Dan Wesson that pretty much matches the pull and feel. I remember seeing it on an episode of Miami Vice Lt Marty Castillo used one in a corrupt prison and shot a guard off the prison wall. They featured a lot of great guns including the Bren 10, Styer Aug and one of the first Glock 17's it is certainly a revolver persons gun.

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    I have 4" 586 that is mat finish. Your finish puts mine to shame

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    That is beautiful. There isrecall due to the cylinder locking up with certain ammo. There is a lot of debate regarding the recall and you may want to read this thread if you are not familiar with it. If there is an "M" stamp , it has been modified . Not all guns are affected.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-revolvers-1980-present/199365-s-w-586-recall.html

After I bought mine a friend followed suit. When the recall came out I debated to send it in. If I recall it was with federal ammunition. After I talked to my friend he said it was never the same after he sent it in. I think if it locks up because of rim thickness and attempting to open the crane can cause the hammer to drop. I have never had that happen even with federal cases. Just my take. Not recommendation. My friend has passed so I cannot give you details.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    After I bought mine a friend followed suit. When the recall came out I debated to send it in. If I recall it was with federal ammunition. After I talked to my friend he said it was never the same after he sent it in. I think if it locks up because of rim thickness and attempting to open the crane can cause the hammer to drop. I have never had that happen even with federal cases. Just my take. Not recommendation. My friend has passed so I cannot give you details.

There was an issue with the softness of some of the primers in Federal ammunition allowing the hammer nose to penetrate them? Again, I never really a problem with mine in 3k rounds so I never bothered to send it in. It's doubtful I'll send this one either, unless it starts acting-up.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    I own one of these and to say it's a tack driver is an understatement. My forcing cone gap is around .006 so it's been retired to my safe. I use a Dan Wesson that pretty much matches the pull and feel. I remember seeing it on an episode of Miami Vice Lt Marty Castillo used one in a corrupt prison and shot a guard off the prison wall. They featured a lot of great guns including the Bren 10, Styer Aug and one of the first Glock 17's it is certainly a revolver persons gun.

That B/C gap is an easy fix with shims. Midway has a how to video on their website.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Patridge Front Blade

I didn't think this question was worthy of its own thread so, I thought I'd just ask it here:

It has been quite awhile since I owned a revolver with a Patridge front blade sight. Those of you who also own one and use it regularly might be able to remind me of what distance is best to 'zero' the rear sight with the front blade - in other words, at what distance did you adjust your sights to 'square' on the target (front blade flush with rear sights)?

I adjusted to 10 yards and it's dead nuts on but, I plan to use this gun for IHMSA Field Pistol matches and was curious about an optimal setting for engaging targets 25-100 yards without using an excessive amount of holdover. I know it depends on the load but, in general, I'll be using mild to 'spicy' .357 with bullets in 158-180gr range.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Probably is worth a thread of its own, but I'll throw a few thoughts out.

Many/ most serious IHMSA shooters did the " x number of clicks @ 100, 6 number of clicks @ 150, etc " .

For general use, dead on @ 25yd is popular. Not what I recoment, but popular.

BF44 Recomended - Six o'clock hold @ 25yd, aka aprox 1.5in high. With a trajectory similar to .357 should be back to poi/ poa at aprox 75yd. Less than 2in low out to 100yd. Don't shoot beyond 100 until you have enough experience to know your gun load, and trajectory with out asking.

For ctgs of .38spl or .45acp velocities, same sight in @ 25yds. Will be back to pou/poa at aprox 50yds. Within cpl inches to 75yd. Beyond that know your gun and load without having to ask.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Probably is worth a thread of its own, but I'll throw a few thoughts out.

Many/ most serious IHMSA shooters did the " x number of clicks @ 100, 6 number of clicks @ 150, etc " .

For general use, dead on @ 25yd is popular. Not what I recoment, but popular.

BF44 Recomended - Six o'clock hold @ 25yd, aka aprox 1.5in high. With a trajectory similar to .357 should be back to poi/ poa at aprox 75yd. Less than 2in low out to 100yd. Don't shoot beyond 100 until you have enough experience to know your gun load, and trajectory with out asking.

For ctgs of .38spl or .45acp velocities, same sight in @ 25yds. Will be back to pou/poa at aprox 50yds. Within cpl inches to 75yd. Beyond that know your gun and load without having to ask.

Thank you, BF44! Exactly what I wanted to know. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom