• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I’m really hoping that the OP didn’t post this (understandable) conundrum on his second ever MDS post...

Wish in one hand, spit in the other. I know which one fills up first.

Separating the newness of the poster from the situation AS WE WERE TOLD IT OCCURRED, I believe it was a) avoidable and b) predictable.

PS. Join date 2013.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Dealers have wide lattitude to decline a sale .

Overheard conversations with third parties trigger a large measure of caution, both for actual straw purchases, and because they telegraph a potential set up by MSP/ ATF/ crusading journalists.

Not a wise idea, unless you are dealing with a dealer who is actual personal friend who knows your entire family.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Using the speaker phone in public places is not only annoying but extremely rude. If I was the GS employee and overheard the convo, I would have done the same thing. It’s their asses on the line too.

Dealers have wide lattitude to decline a sale .

Overheard conversations with third parties trigger a large measure of caution, both for actual straw purchases, and because they telegraph a potential set up by MSP/ ATF/ crusading journalists.

Not a wise idea, unless you are dealing with a dealer who is actual personal friend who knows your entire family.

Exactly. Plus you never know who else is around listening, like the crusading journalists who can twist the whole story around to make it seem like you were actually attempting a straw purchase.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Attachments

• milk.jpg
      milk.jpg
      8.9 KB · Views: 344

deerhtr

Nov 22, 2011
    eastern shore
    Thats why you dont use speaker phone. its your wifes fault for putting your private legal business out to the public for misinterpretation.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Now they will both have to go back and each take a # to be ignored in an empty store for 15-20mins waiting to be called up to be lectured by mall employees for the privilege of overpaying for something(s).

Don't blame Bass Pro for denying the sale though.

Livingthedream

Feb 20, 2017
    Now they will both have to go back and each take a # to be ignored in an empty store for 15-20mins waiting to be called up to be lectured by mall employees for the privilege of overpaying for something(s).

Don't blame Bass Pro for denying the sale though.

The worse part about bass pro. You have a bunch of guys behind the counter doing what seems like nothing but you have to take a number. They do have good deals on optics sometimes but it takes 20+ minutes just to find out if they have it in stock. A complete waste of time.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    You get lots of training on straw purchase laws that hammer in the mandatory 10 years/$100,000 fine for knowingly engaging in them. You also get shown video examples of people attempting straw purchases and the response if the gun salesman in the video. I think the dude on the phone getting orders from someone to buy a gun is literally one of the straw purchase examples in the video. They also make it clear that you can legally refuse a sale for a variety of reasons.

Typically in that situation, they'd either refuse the sale or require the person on the phone to come in and do paperwork for the gun he or she claimed. Who pays for it doesn't really matter as long as the person ultimately getting the gun does the paperwork for it.

It's important to remember that bass pro is a huge target. They routinely get things like 20 year old cadets trying to buy handgun ammo. While gun-people may prefer to do business with a smaller mom & pop shop like engage armament or on-target (both with a history of defending the 2a in md), we need to also recognize the PR importance of having a large gun-store at arundel mills. It normalizes gun culture to people that otherwise don't experience it and acts as a non-scary starting point for people intimidated by conventional gun stores.

I sold thousands of guns there, with a large portion of them going to first-time gun owners. That's a pretty big deal for advancing the 2a in md.

So, while their customer service and prices may leave us shopping elsewhere, it's important to know the background of why they're so defensive and also to recognize the good the store does for us just by being there.

eman

Jul 28, 2013
    Exactly! I get it that they have to be extra careful about following the letter of the law...well, anyone selling guns does...but I would think that if anyone had the notion of suing a store for selling a gun to someone they shouldn't have, these big box stores would seem to be able to offer a much bigger payday. That's wild speculation on my part, but does it seem implausible?

On the other hand...they really seem to go out of their way to make the already arduous task of buying a firearm in MD that much more tedious. I've also heard that their outrageous doorbuster deals on a specific gun are for that one...as in there is literally one at the store at that price, and when they sell it, the sale is over and there are no rain checks.

I've purchased firearms from the other two big box stores :o (hey we've all made mistakes, right :shrug:), but Bass Pro always seemed like they just didn't want to sell to me.

I'm really hoping the OP posts what the gun was and the price so maybe one of our IP's can beat it :innocent0
    Ruger LCP .380 $239

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom