• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eman

Jul 28, 2013
    My wife and I are MD collectors and HQL instructors. My wife was shopping for a pistol and found one she liked at Bass Pro Arundel Mills. She called me and must been on speaker phone and was discussing the purchase. During our conversation I said that is a good price so buy two. Bass Pro refused to sell her two stating it was a straw purchase. Wife had a filed 77r number and should of been able to buy as many as the credit card would limit. Did Bass pro break the law? If so, then what could be the consequences?

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    You can buy one at a time without waiting the 30 period.

With the collector paper, she can buy more than one. I really can't fault the store. Not sure how common it is discussing a gun purchase during transaction with another over the phone for instructions. Understand there was no shenanigans, just an unfortunate happenstance.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    They just heard you say buy two, and you are nowhere around to file the 4473 (Not the 77R). Are they playing it safe, yes. Regardless of your qualifications, had you been right there with your wife, you could have filled out the paperwork as well. The counter guuy does not know who is on the other end of the phone.

I am sure if you went in right now, they would have no problem selling you one.

Q

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    During our conversation I said that is a good price so buy two. Bass Pro refused to sell her two stating it was a straw purchase.

Honestly I have no idea who you are on the other end of that phone. So if it were me behind the retail counter, I would have probably said no as well. Sorry but I would interpret the conversation as she was buying a pistol for you in addition, which would make it a straw purchase.

Honestly tho, having perused Bass Pro prices, I find it hard to believe the price was that good...

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    They didn't break the law. They overheard the conversation between you and your wife and were concerned that maybe she was.

^^THIS. Never a good idea to be discussing a gun buy with another individual in public (or at the gun counter) for fear of a straw purchase perception. You learned a lesson the hard way but at least its fixable.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Not much you can do about it.

This^^^

Anyone who thinks a GS won't walk away from a sale at the first blush of impropriety is fooling themselves. Next time be a little smarter. You're not buying a quart of milk here. :sad20:

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    This^^^

Anyone who thinks a GS won't walk away from a sale at the first blush of impropriety is fooling themselves. Next time be a little smarter. You're not buying a quart of milk here. :sad20:

You still buy milk by the quart????? :D

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Yeah, that's true. lol So many bad experience stories seem to start with "I went to Bass Pro....."

Exactly! I get it that they have to be extra careful about following the letter of the law...well, anyone selling guns does...but I would think that if anyone had the notion of suing a store for selling a gun to someone they shouldn't have, these big box stores would seem to be able to offer a much bigger payday. That's wild speculation on my part, but does it seem implausible?

On the other hand...they really seem to go out of their way to make the already arduous task of buying a firearm in MD that much more tedious. I've also heard that their outrageous doorbuster deals on a specific gun are for that one...as in there is literally one at the store at that price, and when they sell it, the sale is over and there are no rain checks.

I've purchased firearms from the other two big box stores :o (hey we've all made mistakes, right :shrug:), but Bass Pro always seemed like they just didn't want to sell to me.

I'm really hoping the OP posts what the gun was and the price so maybe one of our IP's can beat it :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom