• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    All rifles that are legal to sell in Maryland are cash & carry now.

That's the one thing I don't understand about Maryland and how they treat lowers. Legal rifles (including HBAR AR15) rifles are all cash and carry. If I buy a lower receiver, I have to wait 7 days, even though I can only build it into a legally configured AR15 (HBAR).

So what's the difference. I'm either buying a complete rifle or I'm buying a lower to build the exact same rifle. One way I can walk out of the store with the legally owned rifle, the other way I have to wait 7 days to buy a part for a rifle that I must build into a legally owned rifle.

Either way, I'm buying parts to make the same rifle, it's just one way, I'm buying all of the part at one time.

I know with the latest court ruling, this isn't the time to ask for a more favorable opinion on lowers, but has this has bugged me from the onset of the law.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I think that MSP, when asked about that, basically said "well you could build a lower into a pistol, and since it could be a pistol you have to do a 77R and waiting period."

Even though we can all see that
    a) that's not what the law says, and what they're doing is illegal
    b) if someone is going to somehow do something "bad" by making an AR pistol, they'll just do it some other way instead of with a lower that they bothered to do a 77R on.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I think that MSP, when asked about that, basically said "well you could build a lower into a pistol, and since it could be a pistol you have to do a 77R and waiting period."

Even though we can all see that
    a) that's not what the law says, and what they're doing is illegal
    b) if someone is going to somehow do something "bad" by making an AR pistol, they'll just do it some other way instead of with a lower that they bothered to do a 77R on.

I know, I'm arguing with the devil (MSP), but what would stop someone from buying an HBAR, removing the upper, and then making a pistol? I mean after all, if they're wanting to break the law, what going to stop them?

Again, with the latest court ruling, this isn't the time to argue any point relative to AR rifles, but the stupid runs deep on this one.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I know, I'm arguing with the devil (MSP), but what would stop someone from buying an HBAR, removing the upper, and then making a pistol? I mean after all, if they're wanting to break the law, what going to stop them?

Again, with the latest court ruling, this isn't the time to argue any point relative to AR rifles, but the stupid runs deep on this one.

What stops people from sawing off the barrel of their shotgun, installing a forward grip on a pistol, putting a pistol upper on a rifle lower, manufacturing machine guns, etc?

nomade

Apr 26, 2014
    All this regulation are non sense for us that know about guns.
    But for anti gun people is a great idea...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom