• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigmike349

Jun 26, 2013
    I found a us model 1917 rifle on GunBroker for a decent price but the rifle has a brass pin going through the action and the stock that the seller claims was added by an armorer. Is this something anyone has heard of before? The seller claims it is fully functional but I'm hesitant due to that mod.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

user_617905

Aug 26, 2017
    Columbia
    For what it's worth, my Eddystone (May 1918) has a pin in front of the bolt handle. Mine's kinda weird in that it's an Eddystone barrel/action in a Winchester stock. The stock has a Canadian cartouche and the forestock has what looks like remnants of red paint (lend-lease).
    e1adfa9ed5fd72e714587adf95758a0e.jpg

Regardless, it shoots like a dream.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    BTW, that 1917 was a "lend lease" item sent to Canada during WW2. They painted the forestock near the muzzle red and stamped "30-06" in black ink/paint to warn users not to try and chamber .303 in it, assuming it was a Pattern 14. You see these pop up now and again, sadly with the paint removed much of the time. Ditto for Australian cadet No1 MKIII* SMLEs. The buttstocks would have a green stripe to denote safe to shoot and the muzzle would sport paint of a particular color to denote the condition of the bore. Mine has a yellow muzzle which I think denotes worn but serviceable. Red muzzle means downgraded to drill/parade use only, no firing. Looks like it was dipped in a bucket of yellow paint!

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    BTW, that 1917 was a "lend lease" item sent to Canada during WW2. They painted the forestock near the muzzle red and stamped "30-06" in black ink/paint to warn users not to try and chamber .303 in it, assuming it was a Pattern 14. You see these pop up now and again, sadly with the paint removed much of the time. Ditto for Australian cadet No1 MKIII* SMLEs. The buttstocks would have a green stripe to denote safe to shoot and the muzzle would sport paint of a particular color to denote the condition of the bore. Mine has a yellow muzzle which I think denotes worn but serviceable. Red muzzle means downgraded to drill/parade use only, no firing. Looks like it was dipped in a bucket of yellow paint!
    Well that explained the worn yellow nose band on ebay

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    For what it's worth, my Eddystone (May 1918) has a pin in front of the bolt handle. Mine's kinda weird in that it's an Eddystone barrel/action in a Winchester stock. The stock has a Canadian cartouche and the forestock has what looks like remnants of red paint (lend-lease).
    e1adfa9ed5fd72e714587adf95758a0e.jpg

Regardless, it shoots like a dream.

I have what I believe is a Canadian re-import with a brass pin in the stock too. Winchester with a Remington stock. Does yours have a blade or pin front sight, mines a pin.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Brass pin through the stock is supposed to be there. A pin for a front sight blade is supposed to be there on some m17's and may make it a little better to hit with depending on your eyes and shooting style.

As far as I'm aware green band indicates non service pattern obsolescence safe for firing, BRPC red markings indicate Beyond Repair Provisionally Condemned and yellow dipped-cadet,white- possibly ceremonial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom