• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Freyako

Sep 11, 2019
    Looking for a pair of good birding binocular for my son. He already have a small pair, but that isn't very good.
    Not looking for a brand specifically but mag and width of the field.
    Thanks.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    More information would be needed to recommend a pair of binoculars. What is the intended use, range they will be used at, how rugged do they need to be, price range is he a child or an adult?

The more information you can provide the better people will be able to tailor the recommendations.

Welcome to the forum!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Since no mention waa made of night use , and bird watching implies hand held, and subjects moving at least part of the time, then I'll throw out the default all around recomendation : 8x35

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    My wife and I both have Vortex binoculars. Hers are the much better pair and I got her a harness to make carrying them much easier for her so they will always be right there when she needs them.

Vortex has excellent customer service and they stand by their products. Their no hassle warranty is exactly what they say it is. Fix or replace regardless of whose fault.

There is better glass out there, but we have gotten plenty of use from our Vortex products.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    What price range?

I have a pair of Steiner's I bought when we had a sail boat, with a built in compass for doing bearings. Very nice. 7x50 But now days are well over $1000.

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    We have Vortex binoculars in stock. You can test them out in the shop and out front.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Look into stabilization control too. I have that on my pair, you focus on something, push the button, & it eliminates shaking. Well worth it.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    You'll also have to decide if you want roof prism, or porro prism binoculars. The latter tend to be less expensive, but they are bigger and bulkier.

We did an Alaska inner passage cruise a couple of years ago, and for that cruise we bought some Bushnell binoculars - off of the top of my head I can't remember the model, but I think they were the Bushnell Legacy series, porro prism, probably 8x42. For what I wanted on that trip, they did just fine, and we did a good bit of whale watching with them.

Like most of my purchases of that kind, I did a fair bit of reading so that I could purchase with the belief that I got close to the best bang for the buck. Keep in mind, I was looking to stay under $100, so "quality" is subjective - if you pay more, you're going to get a good bit more. However, since this is for your son for bird watching, this would probably be a good starter set that won't break the bank, but will have a decent level of quality.

tenishasc

Oct 23, 2015
    Looking for a pair of good birding binocular for my son. He already have a small pair, but that isn't very good.
    Not looking for a brand specifically but mag and width of the field.
    Thanks.

I have two pairs Vortex 10x28 and a Nikon 8x42 - and find both good. I have seen better birding binocs here- https://opticsaddict.com/, more than you wanted to know.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I had the opportunity to use a friend's pair of Steiner "military" binoculars, at his condo in OC several years ago.

Set/focus them to your eyes once, and they are set, they're set.

I bought a pair before we went to Florida in June, and they're the best I've ever used.

Can't recommend them highly enough. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom