• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigKlavey

Oct 19, 2016
    Trying to navigate the gun law changes from 2013 isn't for the faint of heart. Add to that all the issues of look a likes, etc., I thought I would ask some folks who would likely know the answer.
    Can I still legally buy an 80% lower and build my own AR-15 in Maryland?

Thanks in advance for all assistance!

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    It would not be legal.

Needs a Heavy Barrel. Can't have deadly kitten killing grenade launcher undercuts.

The kit concept seems sound though.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    Thanks for the info but to clarify would this set up be legal?

http://www.80percentarms.com/collec...y-of-complete-ar-15-rifle-kit-with-dpms-upper

Thanks

No. That kit appears to have M4 profile barrel, as do all the other kits offered by that company.

To be in compliance with FSA 2013, you will need to build your rifle with an upper which has a HBAR profile.

Your could build an AR pistol with a barrel less than 16 inches using any profile.

Your third option would be to have model, serial number and manufacturer info engraved on your lower and apply for a Form 1 to build a SBR with a barrel less than 16 inches and an overall length greater than 29 inches. This will cost you $200.00 in tax plus engraving fees and take well over 6 months before your application is approved.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You can use a borrowed or rented jig. Even a borrowed or rented milling machine. But you have to do the work.

What you may NOT do, is to use someone else's, pre-programmed, CNC mill and just stick your 80% in and press Start. BATFE has classified that as the person who wrote the CNC program is the manufacturer, not the person who pushed the start button.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    You can use a borrowed or rented jig. Even a borrowed or rented milling machine. But you have to do the work.

What you may NOT do, is to use someone else's, pre-programmed, CNC mill and just stick your 80% in and press Start. BATFE has classified that as the person who wrote the CNC program is the manufacturer, not the person who pushed the start button.

wow, who came up with all of these totally unenforceable laws, what a friggin waste of time.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    wow, who came up with all of these totally unenforceable laws, what a friggin waste of time.

That isn't really unenforceable if they go after the manufacturer or a "large" provider. By provider I mean the few co-op type things that advertise they rent them or you can buy a share, etc.

I mean, I think it is a stupid application of the law, but it isn't unenforceable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom