University of Maryland Trap and Skeet Club loses funding.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mickey

Lurker
    Sep 25, 2009
    Hey guys,

My name is Mickey and I am a student and member of the Trap and Skeet Club at UofMD, College Park. We are a small group of shooters, about 15 guys currently, ranging in ability levels. Our group shoots at least once a week at PG County Trap and Skeet Center. We recently had our funding drastically cut from our Student Government Association (http://www.diamondbackonline.com/news/groups-face-uncertain-future-due-to-sga-cuts-1.2184324). I'm in no way looking for handouts or donations, rather suggestions as to how someone in our situation would go about finding some funding. We would like to do some sort of fundraiser at one of the area ranges, or maybe acquire some sponsors for the team but I'm at a loss beyond that. I'm open to all suggestions and thank anyone for their input in advance.

Thanks

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Hey guys,

My name is Mickey and I am a student and member of the Trap and Skeet Club at UofMD, College Park. We are a small group of shooters, about 15 guys currently, ranging in ability levels. Our group shoots at least once a week at PG County Trap and Skeet Center. We recently had our funding drastically cut from our Student Government Association (http://www.diamondbackonline.com/news/groups-face-uncertain-future-due-to-sga-cuts-1.2184324). I'm in no way looking for handouts or donations, rather suggestions as to how someone in our situation would go about finding some funding. We would like to do some sort of fundraiser at one of the area ranges, or maybe acquire some sponsors for the team but I'm at a loss beyond that. I'm open to all suggestions and thank anyone for their input in advance.

Thanks

Can you get a copy of the funding to all of the organizations/teams at school? Might help finding out why funding was cut. I know times are tough, but funding should be cut equally. Good luck.

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    Cheerleader car wash-- hell-- I'll even volunteer to hold the hose....:D

Fundraiser shoot/tourney???

Raffle??

How much money do you need and how much was cut from your budget????

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    Change your name to the "GBLT Trap & Skeet Club of UofMD".

Watch the funds reappear.

I was appointed to and sat on the Harford County Executive's Council on Youth (Yutes:D) for two years and stopped going to the meetings when the GLBT community was brought into the picture...... :sad20:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Unless something's changed dramatically from the days when I was an SGA rep, they're mostly arbitrary and capricious bastards from BSOS who simply want to fund their pet liberal causes while mouthing lies about their impartiality. There is no other explanation for why MaryPIRG somehow receives huge funding year after year despite being wholly ineffective so often. So, my condolences about your club getting ****ed over, but I am completely unsurprised. At least MaryPIRG seems to have gotten theirs for once.

For those here not in the know, funding is basically decided by committee. There's no requirement for them to be "fair" in the process, which is why it's abused badly. I actually watched them try to kill a hockey organization because the organizer decided not to show up to a random meeting. Thankfully, we managed to at least stop that.

My suggestion would be to run a fundraising event at PGTS and then advertise it heavily here and at other such forums. I know Ducks Unlimited is doing something there this Sunday, so there's got to be some money in it...

scrovak

Back in the "Free" State
    May 2, 2011
    Aside hooking, I'd agree with obtaining the budgetary information for all the school sports, clubs, and intramural activities (which should be public record). Short of appealing the cuts, solicit donations from sponsors for some prizes that could be won at a club tournament (i.e. most consecutive of 25 clays), etc. and charge for entries. See if you could get a local gun shop to sponsor it, donate clays, shot shells, etc. maybe even loan out guns to be used. Then market it widely. Also, join and/or write to the NRA to see if they'll help sponsor, donate, etc.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Aside hooking, I'd agree with obtaining the budgetary information for all the school sports, clubs, and intramural activities (which should be public record). Short of appealing the cuts
    I wish I could state this in a way everyone would understand: this is never going to work. There's no conspiracy because the SGA is legally allowed to screw these guys at their whim in broad public daylight.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Virginia Tech Clay target Team uses local and national sponsorship:

Full Sponsors
    -Famous Anthonys Restaurants

Partial Sponsors
    -Briley Manufacturing Inc.
    -Oakley Inc.
    -Remington Inc.

Club Sponsors
    -Dublin Clays Inc.
    -Izaak Walton Gun Club of Christiansburg
    -Triangle Gun Club
    -Old Forge Sporting Clays
    -Primland Resort

nodice410

Feb 20, 2011
    Sorry to hear about this, SGA has been getting stingy with their funding. Another group that I am in was allotted only $500 for the semester. Saw this post after coming from class were the teacher discussed how people should not own guns because they "primarily are used in murders and make no sense as a defense weapon". :mad54:

I go to UMD College Park and couldn't find any groups related to target shooting or anything like that. Although, not too surprising with a liberal campus like this. Are you guys strictly skeet/trap or do you have range visits as well?

scrovak

Back in the "Free" State
    May 2, 2011
    Sorry to hear about this, SGA has been getting stingy with their funding. Another group that I am in was allotted only $500 for the semester. Saw this post after coming from class were the teacher discussed how people should not own guns because they "primarily are used in murders and make no sense as a defense weapon". :mad54:

I go to UMD College Park and couldn't find any groups related to target shooting or anything like that. Although, not too surprising with a liberal campus like this. Are you guys strictly skeet/trap or do you have range visits as well?

If you would like to supply your professor with a knife, a bow, a stick, a rock, and a handgun, I'd be willing to drop off a depraved murderous lunatic to watch him weigh his defense options...

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Saw this post after coming from class were the teacher discussed how people should not own guns because they "primarily are used in murders and make no sense as a defense weapon".

QUOTE]

And to think that you are paying this idiot to insult your intelligence like that.:sad20:

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Micky, I feel for you and your fellow trapshooters. My daughter just graduated from UMCP and was on the girls crew team. They too had little to no funding, and it was tough to watch them row against teams like Harvard where they couldn't compete due to inferior equipment. You should go talk to professor Beigle (Spelling?), a very large very good teacher who is an avid firearms enthusiast. He teaches statics,mechanics etc and could probably offer some support for your cause. If you do a Fund raiser, please post it here I will be glad to contribute to this cause.

ViperRy

May 26, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    When I went to UMCP I never heard of the trap and skeet club. We had to shoot at PG trap and skeet on our own dollar.. that meant a few less Chipotle burritos and ramen noodles that week.

Good luck with funding, you're at the bottom of those Lib's list. Like others have said, look for sponsors.

Mickey

Lurker
    Sep 25, 2009
    Thanks so much for all your responses, keep the good ideas coming. We meet once a week so as of now I'm communicating with the rest of the team through Facebook. I am gonna look into setting a fundraiser into motion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom