• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Seriously, what database? Thought it was just temporary recorded, or am I confusing the databases?

Feds are prohibited by law from having a database. So NICS is temp (at least supposed to be).

States are not.

And anyway, did you not know you VOLUNTARILY registered every firearm purchased via a 77R with the state?????

Of course, there is no way to NOT volunteer.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yup, and the 77r, unless they changed it, says that the buyer understands that the firearm is regulated and must be transferred as a regulated.

But if you buy a stripped lower and build into an HBAR rifle, the rifle is not regulated. :)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Outrider KIA... :)

All, No One said this gentleman would not go to a shop or a barrack, just that he did not want to because of cost. The Gentleman is law enforcement, and we did everything legally.

Thanks for the speculation, I mean concern.

Also... I got my silver pigeon.

Going this weekend to shoot sporting clays with wife's brother in law and son.

Let me know if anyone wants to meet up at the AGC or PG Trap and skeet for a few round of trap.

Glad things worked out Elite.:thumbsup:

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    OK - I am not a lawyer - but - he bought it as a hand gun (77R right?), and therefore he's still effectively selling a hand gun, yes? HBAR has nothing to do with it.
    [EDIT: Would love to be wrong on this one]

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    OK - I am not a lawyer - but - he bought it as a hand gun (77R right?), and therefore he's still effectively selling a hand gun, yes? HBAR has nothing to do with it.

I believe it should have been sold as "OTHER"?
    It does not require an HQL, so it is NOT a Handgun.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

I believe it should have been sold as "OTHER"?
    It does not require an HQL, so it is NOT a Handgun.

Ah! I just checked on my stripped lower was sold to me as an "other". Good point.

...plus, if it was never built into a handgun first, it can not be built into one now, so, no handgun.

drive_accord_ingly

Aug 1, 2007
    MoCo
    Yes. Am looking for a Silver Pigeion.

I have a guy that says he is law enforcement, and does not want to go Gun Store route.

I am weary of selling this gun Face to Face.

Should I be concerned?

Huh??
    Legally, it should be by the books as other guys have mentioned.

But if the guy says he's LE, most LE's get service type firearms AT SUBSTANTIALLY DISCOUNTS RELATIVE TO CIVILIANS. I. E. Glock pistols for $50 to $150, etc. Why would a member of the law enforcement community not want to do paperwork?

What am I missing?

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Huh??

But if the guy says he's LE, most LE's get service type firearms AT SUBSTANTIALLY DISCOUNTS RELATIVE TO CIVILIANS. I. E. Glock pistols for $50 to $150, etc. Why would a member of the law enforcement community not want to do paperwork?

What am I missing?

You are missing the fact that just because the guy is a LEO does not mean he is interested in, or wanting to do a registered purchase through his Department. Or pay out more money than necessary to a third party to do the deal. I have bought items and sometimes the used item is a much better deal than I can get through any FFL. In those cases... I do not want to do any more than the law actually requires. Yes I can buy some things at reduced rates... But those items are normally items that would get used on the job or carried as a back up/off duty use item.

Some have hinted at a possible "sting" because it is a LEO who is buying... Ummm, no... Think about that for a second. If it really IS a LEO and there is a sting involved... WHY would the LEO tell you that he was a LEO?

PS... Where are these $50.00 Glocks being sold? :shrug: I WANT ONE!

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Huh??

What am I missing?

Where do you think you live? It's perfectly legal for the OP to sell an HBAR AR rifle to any LEO who's a MD resident, face to face. No state or federal paperwork. End of story.

I've sold guns to cops in MD. Big whoop. They are people just like you and me. They aren't above the law. They aren't gestapo.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You are missing the fact that just because the guy is a LEO does not mean he is interested in, or wanting to do a registered purchase through his Department. Or pay out more money than necessary to a third party to do the deal. I have bought items and sometimes the used item is a much better deal than I can get through any FFL. In those cases... I do not want to do any more than the law actually requires. Yes I can buy some things at reduced rates... But those items are normally items that would get used on the job or carried as a back up/off duty use item.

Some have hinted at a possible "sting" because it is a LEO who is buying... Ummm, no... Think about that for a second. If it really IS a LEO and there is a sting involved... WHY would the LEO tell you that he was a LEO?

PS... Where are these $50.00 Glocks being sold? :shrug: I WANT ONE!

Exactly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom