• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Bill name/number, your name, and your position need to be at the top of the first page.

The one hard copy you're bringing is in case the USB drive you submit is found to have a virus, the committee staffers running the terminals are supposed to have a scanner to electronically capture your hard copy.

Last year, one house committee tried this new electronic system and it supposedly worked for them, but I don't know which committee it was. It might've been the bird watchers and chimney sweepers union committee or something.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Bill name/number, your name, and your position need to be at the top of the first page.

The one hard copy you're bringing is in case the USB drive you submit is found to have a virus, the committee staffers running the terminals are supposed to have a scanner to electronically capture your hard copy.

Last year, one house committee tried this new electronic system and it supposedly worked for them, but I don't know which committee it was. It might've been the bird watchers and chimney sweepers union committee or something.

Is that for sure? My name is in the filename and at the bottom, but all other info is at the top. :shrug:

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Today in the Senate, we get (no bill text yet):

SB0198 Public Safety - Permit to Carry, Wear, or Transport a Handgun - Qualifications
    SB0208 Public Safety - Rifles and Shotguns - Secondary Transactions (CROSS-FILE of HB0004)

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD

SB0198 Public Safety - Permit to Carry, Wear, or Transport a Handgun - Qualifications
    SB0208 Public Safety - Rifles and Shotguns - Secondary Transactions (CROSS-FILE of HB0004)
    Normal procedure:

1. Bill is read over the desk (presented in the chamber of origin)
    2. Bill text will be linked to the MGA website within 24 hours

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Anyone going to testify against HB35 this Wednesday? I think the bill is poop, but I'm hesitant to squander my limited leave when there are worse looming. Are there some retired folks who can keep up the fight?

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD

I remember when there were people here who would tell you Pam Beidle is our friend.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    My guess to ban any AR15 that is .223 and .300 Caliber. Taking away your rights 1 caliber at a time..

No this was Frosh’s doing. Some ******* committed a mass shooting in Ohio (I think) and Frosh was pissed that the gun used is legal in MD. It was a 300 BLK pistol built on an Anderson lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    No this was Frosh’s doing. Some ******* committed a mass shooting in Ohio (I think) and Frosh was pissed that the gun used is legal in MD. It was a 300 BLK pistol built on an Anderson lower.

Not quite. It was a Anderson .223 pistol. That pistol cannot be purchased in MD because it is not on the Roster. This bill bans rifles and yet the Anderson .223 rifle is already banned in MD as a copy of the Colt AR15. They (including Frosh) just don't understand existing law.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Not quite. It was a Anderson .223 pistol. That pistol cannot be purchased in MD because it is not on the Roster. This bill bans rifles and yet the Anderson .223 rifle is already banned in MD as a copy of the Colt AR15. They (including Frosh) just don't understand existing law.

My mistake, thanks for the correction!

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Here's a question that may help others too:

Is there a provision for serfs to testify WITHOUT submitting written testimony?

I recall this was possible to do in past years, as well as a provision to register a "For or Against" opinion at the registration terminal without having to testify.

Is this still an option also?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Here's a question that may help others too:

Is there a provision for serfs to testify WITHOUT submitting written testimony?

I recall this was possible to do in past years, as well as a provision to register a "For or Against" opinion at the registration terminal without having to testify.

Is this still an option also?

Yes, you can sign up to testify at the Committee and register your position then. No need to submit written testimony. You can then either testify orally or skip it entirely. Skipping it ensures that your position will be totally ignored.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    New ones in the House and Senate today:

• SB0273 Crimes - Firearms - Penalties and Procedures (Violent Firearms Offender Act of 2020) Cross-file of HB0356
    • HB0265 Handgun Qualification License - Training Requirement - Exemption Cross-file of SB0156
    • HB0302 Criminal Law - Deadly Weapons on School Property - Nonpublic Schools (No Weapons on Nonpublic School Property Act)

andimorony

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2009
    Dblas, I hope you won't mind, but if I might correct some minor points.

Anyone as you have said, can write anything they want.

HOWEVER, once a sponsor takes it on, the Department of Legislative Services writes the bill. I have, in my former role as Leg Director for a state agency, had bills written by our Assistant Attorney General and then had bills completely re-written by DLS (one bill went from a page or two to more 60 but it was essentially the same bill).

Also, sometimes, a legislator will drop a bill just to drive a discussion of the issue. Any legislator can add their name to the bill at the committee hearing. It isn't always a "show" for their base. I know you know that, but others may or may not. And sometimes a bill is a strategy to drive negotiations on a bad bill. Lots of reasons why a legislator may drop a bill they know isn't going anywhere. You'll recall one legislator we know, who did this occasionally because he wanted MSP to come in with data...and when they didn't he successfully used this argument to make bills that were flying through as written a little less awful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom