Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Gunsmithing
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old January 13th, 2020, 12:46 PM #11

Blue Fins can help. They had a complete AR-9 build when I was there Saturday and will do just a lower if you’d prefer. And Hanover Armory seemed to have some nice AR’s when I checked their table out at the Timonium show and they confirmed they will build a lower only for a fair price.
Jroc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2020, 12:47 PM #12
For great Justice

For great Justice

I like the FM products billet lower, have run mine with FM, QC10 and Palmetto uppers, and runs like a champ. Really similar to the Primary weapons system design, so the LRBHO is in the lower and works very well, bolt stop is a reinforced part, so less chance of breakage, mag release is oversized, and matches up well to their uppers, or mil-spec uppers, and they are relatively cheap. Most others either don't have a LRBHO, one that doesn't work reliably, or one that requires a really light bolt stop spring that can cause it to lock open randomly.
"Unfortunately, freedom allows sh*theads to get away with stuff. You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."
-Henry Rollins
alucard0822 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2020, 12:58 PM #13
The Hebrew Hammer

The Hebrew Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
I like the FM products billet lower, have run mine with FM, QC10 and Palmetto uppers, and runs like a champ. Really similar to the Primary weapons system design, so the LRBHO is in the lower and works very well, bolt stop is a reinforced part, so less chance of breakage, mag release is oversized, and matches up well to their uppers, or mil-spec uppers, and they are relatively cheap. Most others either don't have a LRBHO, one that doesn't work reliably, or one that requires a really light bolt stop spring that can cause it to lock open randomly.
Truth. FM9 would be my first stop for a blowback upper/rifle at this point. They are not expensive and they work well. Foxtrot Mike is one of PWS's sub-brands like Bootleg, and PWS does not put out bad product as a rule.

I know PSA is TEMPTING because they're cheap, but I had to replace their BCG _and_ their barrel due to functionality issues. (BCG = too much ejector play and shitty extractor, barrel = throat too tight). Now, I really do like my new FM9 BCG and JP barrel, but that was a lot of money to pay for something that could have worked right out of the box.
Old January 13th, 2020, 02:27 PM #14
For great Justice

For great Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwos View Post
Truth. FM9 would be my first stop for a blowback upper/rifle at this point. They are not expensive and they work well. Foxtrot Mike is one of PWS's sub-brands like Bootleg, and PWS does not put out bad product as a rule.

I know PSA is TEMPTING because they're cheap, but I had to replace their BCG _and_ their barrel due to functionality issues. (BCG = too much ejector play and shitty extractor, barrel = throat too tight). Now, I really do like my new FM9 BCG and JP barrel, but that was a lot of money to pay for something that could have worked right out of the box.
The owner is pretty cool, and REALLY responsive too, can also find lowers, uppers, and complete pistols and rifles in various configurations on sale often. I'm eyeballing a CMMG delayed blowback BCG/barrel, really interested in the upcoming Aero precision 9mm lower, but might just build the upper, then try it out with the few lowers I have or just build another FM9 lower.
"Unfortunately, freedom allows sh*theads to get away with stuff. You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."
-Henry Rollins
alucard0822 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2020, 03:17 PM #15
The Hebrew Hammer

The Hebrew Hammer

I would not waste my time trying to get the CMMG Guard parts working on random Glock lowers. Either buy the rifle/pistol, or buy the upper and then run it with Endomags on a standard lower (which is what I will probably wind up doing if I ever decide to shoot PCC seriously). I would love it if they had a version of the upper that would reliably work on QC10-style lowers, but it's so hit and miss right now with them.
Old January 13th, 2020, 03:52 PM #16
Competition Shooter

Competition Shooter

For the 3+ years I have been shooting PCC I have used a Runner-Runner Guns lower. Very similar to a QC10 except the pin placement for the mag release. A good judge of a lower is whether other parties make parts for it. Odin Works makes parts for both of those lowers. RRG has closed its doors but QC10 is still around. RRG was considered a New Frontier Armory style lower. I assume there maybe others. I use 2 uppers with mine. One is a side-charging Spartan upper and the other is a random AR upper I had, likely an Aero-Precision. Never had mag issues except with ETS mags which are POS in my opinion although they worked fine for a year. Glock mags have never failed even with extensions, up to the Taccom +25 extension.
Monocacy Pistol Club
Peacemaker National Training Center

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Sir R.M.Hyslop (attributed to Edmund Burke).
Those willing to give up freedom for security deserve neither.
Benjamin Franklin
photoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2020, 04:39 PM #17
The Hebrew Hammer

The Hebrew Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoracer View Post
up to the Taccom +25 extension.
Five minutes of shooting PCC made me realize I need a couple of these in my life. Was chamfering the mag and follower to reliability difficult?
Old January 13th, 2020, 04:57 PM #18

If you get one be prepared to go through a lot of ammo. They are fun to shoot and those 32 round mags keep it coming. I've just got the PSA upper and the insert they used to sell and it has run 100%. Heavy buffer and AR10 spring works great. Id still like to have that Ruger PCC but this one scratches the itch. If I ever do another I'd probably try those Endomags that erwos suggested.

Last edited by NeutronBlu; January 13th, 2020 at 05:01 PM. Reason: added info
NeutronBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2020, 08:59 PM #19

Check the classifieds
namelessname120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2020, 09:37 PM #20
Competition Shooter

Competition Shooter

Since it was done to make them feed smoothly I kept at it until I could no longer feel any raised portion at the foot of the mag where the basepads go. I had originally bought one of their 1st Gen extended mags a year or 2 before that used a reversed 17 rd. mag as the extension and decided after looking at it that I was not going to do that. So up until the Gen 2 extension came out I used 2 31 rd mags. I bought 3 Glock 31s and 2 ETS 30s. I put +3 Arredondo basepads on the ETS mags so each would carry 33 rd. if needed but the ETS mags only lasted a year before the tube started bulging and they stopped feeding reliably. I have felt confident enough recently to sell one of my 2 remaining 31s to a friend who got his first PCC. With the 31+25 rounder I have never had to fill it to capacity except to break it in and I have never ran out of ammo in a stage even a PNTC Super Steel Match.
Monocacy Pistol Club
Peacemaker National Training Center

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Sir R.M.Hyslop (attributed to Edmund Burke).
Those willing to give up freedom for security deserve neither.
Benjamin Franklin
photoracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Gunsmithing