• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    I want to get into reloading (.223), and I was looking at a Lee Classic. In the information, it states that it’s not intended for semi auto reloading. What is their reasoning? Because of the little dent on the rim from deflector? Maybe higher pressures? I’m kind of bummed because it seems like a great way to enter the world of reloading.

Clippers69

Mar 7, 2011
    lee classic

I started on and still have the Lee Classic cast iron single stage press. I have loaded thousands of pistol and semi-automatic rifle rounds, .308 and .223 as well as 5.56. I used full length sizing dies for the .223 / 5.56 and changed to small base sizing dies after some early rounds wouldn't seat properly. I was so over-confident, I didn't use a gauge to check my rifle rounds. After blowing a barrel, I purchased a gauge to check ALL of my rifle rounds and with a small base sizing die for the .223, I have never had any issues. I don't know why Lee would say not to use their Classic Press for semi-auto rifles unless they are assuming you are using full length rifle dies for a semi-auto. You have to really be careful using a full length sizing die for .223 and I only use one for my bolt action rifle. The cases sometimes do not size all the way down on a FL die and the SB dies takes care of that. As I said before, I have used and am still using a Lee Classic cast iron single stage press to prep all of my .223 and 5.56 brass. I only load them on a Dillon 650 with no sizing die since they are already sized on the Lee. A little anal, but safer for me and cheaper than a new barrel!

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I want to get into reloading (.223), and I was looking at a Lee Classic. In the information, it states that it’s not intended for semi auto reloading. What is their reasoning? Because of the little dent on the rim from deflector? Maybe higher pressures? I’m kind of bummed because it seems like a great way to enter the world of reloading.

Hey Quad, it was great running into you as we were leaving our Hooligan shoot last Sunday. Don't be a stranger... :thumbsup:

We Hooligans can help you a ton if you're serious about reloading 223 rounds. The process isn't hard, but it does require appropriate tools and personal dedication to safety. With that said... IMHO:

A Lee Classic press is not robust enough to correctly resize fired 223 cases. Depending on the dies used, it takes a lot more force to fully size cases than that small press can handle. And you want your reloaded rounds to shoot correctly and safely. right?

At a minimum I'd recommend a Lee Challenger Press Kit for a beginner. You can get them cheaper, but here's an Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precisio...ger+press+kit&qid=1561763153&s=gateway&sr=8-2
    Another option is to pick up an RCBS Rock Chucker Press. They are the tanks of single stage presses.

For 223 reloading dies the Lee set works well for most rifles, but there are some rifles that much prefer ammo resized in RCBS Small Base dies. I have both and use them as needed.

Again, we Hooligans are local to you. And we'd be happy to assist...

:thumbsup:

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    Thanks fellas for the replies. Greatly appreciated!!

Joe, likewise. I’m glad I got to run into yas. It was nice. Been way too long since I talked to any of the bunch. I haven’t been around, but I missed the range the whole time. I know my dad use to reload back in the 80’s. I remember as a kid, he’d have a bench with equipment on it. I remember a press. He says he still has the press, but I’ll have to ask what brand. Not sure today’s stuff would be compatible with his? I’m sure he didn’t reload.223 back then so I’d have to buy stuff for that. That’s where I question compatibility.

I’m going to try to get up there Sunday. I want to test a rifle I had worked on at a smith. I’ll ask tomorrow what he has, and let you know. I’d really like to get into this. Perhaps it’ll be therapeutic for me lol.

Again, I thank you both for the help. I really don’t have anyone else to guide me.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    i THINK the core reason is they necksize only resizing. i've never tried semi auto in lee classic. i have one for 308 and it works.. okay but rather just spend time on a rock chucker. making your own ammo is, rewarding when you get a stupid small group that's not so hot it burns out your barrel. reloading has several steps, each one is critical and it helps to know WHY each step is done so it's easier to see the value in accuracy or safety.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

When you say "Lee Classic" which are you referring to?

https://leeprecision.com/classic-cast-press.html

https://leeprecision.com/lee-loader-223-rem.html

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    You are going to need a reloading press to load semi auto and I'd recommend the small base dies as already mentioned. Lee makes some of the most economical reloading equipment but not always the best quality IMO but is a starting point.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    One thing, most people recommend to NOT use small base dies, unless you find that you actually NEED them.

I have reloaded many thousands for .233 and .308 from once fired military brass without small base dies, for multiple rifles, without any problems.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The Classic Lee Loader aka Whack a Mole is a freestanding system, does not, and can not be used with a press .

If you have access to a Rockchucker , you would be looking for a set of dies with the standard 7/8 -14 threads ( which is virtually all of them ) . Lee makes such dies at very reasonable prices , and virtually everyone makes dies for .233 . And we could have friendly debate for days about which is most best-est , but even Lee is good enough for 99% of people , 99% of the time .

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The second link. The one you hammer the bullet into the case.

The Lee Loader (AKA wack-a-Mole reloader) is a good introduction to reloading and has introduced thousands of reloaders to the hobby. However it does have some limitations such as it wont fix a dented case mouth, and since it only neck sizes the case it should be used for reloading cases for the same gun they were shot in. On the plus side because it only neck sizes you get excellent case life, it is capable of making very accurate ammo, and it is completely portable.

For your application a set of dies and a press would be a better choice. If cost is important Lee makes a Hand Press (does not attach to a bench) that uses regular dies the same as a bench mounted press.
    https://leeprecision.com/breech-lock-hand-press.html

Once you get started you will find what will best fit your specific needs and your style of reloading and you can upgrade a piece or two at a time.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Just talked to dad. He said his press is an RCBS rock chucker?

That’s the press I use for most of my bolt action stuff. Great press. All of the semi auto stuff I use a Dillon 550.

Resize on rock chucker, trim etc etc. tumble. Then off to press be it either one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    Rock chucker = Rock solid
    Compatible with modern dies, capable of loading just about any cartridge.
    Chances of ever wearing it out are slim

Awesome!! He says he has two of them, so I should be able to get one from him easily. Glad to hear it’s something that is solid, and not outdated. Thanks everyone for your assistance.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Outdated single stage press , chuckle, chuckle .

Single stage presses have been mature technology ever since two common die sizes morfed into one common size/ thread circa 1940 . ( The original line of Lyman All American dies used the same size / thread as the 310 Tong Tool . ) And even at that most other press mfgs made the actual press in 7/8-14, and included an adapter in case a customer wanted to use the smaller dies .

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The Rock Chucker IS outdated.

The ram stroke is too short for some of the really long magnum rounds.

But for 99.9% of people, they are fine.

I just prefer Lyman. Their O press has a longer stroke for the big magnums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom