• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    Considering a 300blk build. I have a 5.56 pistol, and a 450BM rifle. Not sure if I need the 300 blk. Would it be ok to hunt deer with? Would a 10.5 barrel be good, or would I be better with a 16 inch? I would imagine the longer barrel would have reasonable gains in velocity and energy, correct? Sorry I’m new to this caliber and have zero experience with it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Without getting into the specifics, a 10.5 barrel will do just fine. No need for 16.. Folks down south hunt pigs with 300blk and my 10.5” does just fine at 100yds..

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The gain in velocity 10" v 16" is around 200 FPS.

I anchored a doe at 80 yds with my 10.5" 300Blk. 110 V-max hand load. The bullet performed perfectly.

quickdraw17

I'd rather be shooting...
    Jun 24, 2013
    Good round for deer at reasonable ranges. I dropped a doe at 40 yards with with the 110 grain Barnes TAC out of my 16" build. Terminal ballistics were rather impressive.

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    It's a pretty good deer round. Just don't plan on using it in Colorado or extremely long distance shots; even with supers, it's not especially flat shooting or accurate. If you decide on a rifle length build and aren't interested in 300s suppressability, I've heard good things about 6.5 Creedmoor.

Overall, each hunter needs to know when and where and with what they can make the kill shot. Probably illegal in most states now, but my grandfather used to regularly take deer with .22 magnum...

On the other hand, 450 BM will kill deer too... But if it's what you need to justify a new gun, just do it! :D

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have seen and heard a suppressed 300 black with subs in person. Very impressive. I would imagine a 10.5" AR in 300 black suppressed would make a great home defense weapon. Your ears will not be ringing when you call 911.

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    It's a pretty good deer round. Just don't plan on using it in Colorado or extremely long distance shots; even with supers, it's not especially flat shooting or accurate. If you decide on a rifle length build and aren't interested in 300s suppressability, I've heard good things about 6.5 Creedmoor.

Overall, each hunter needs to know when and where and with what they can make the kill shot. Probably illegal in most states now, but my grandfather used to regularly take deer with .22 magnum...

On the other hand, 450 BM will kill deer too... But if it's what you need to justify a new gun, just do it! :D

I don’t think I’ve ever killed a deer that’s been past 100 yards. If so, not much further. Most are pretty close, as I usually hunt thickets or tight woods. I’m just curious if a pistol would meet the 1,200 ft pounds of muzzle energy Maryland requires. I’ve searched but can’t find much on ballistics on barrel length. I really don’t hv much interest at the moment for suppressed, but I might later. Now I’m thinking it would be pretty cool lol

threegun

Jan 26, 2013
    Westminster
    I don’t think I’ve ever killed a deer that’s been past 100 yards. If so, not much further. Most are pretty close, as I usually hunt thickets or tight woods. I’m just curious if a pistol would meet the 1,200 ft pounds of muzzle energy Maryland requires. I’ve searched but can’t find much on ballistics on barrel length. I really don’t hv much interest at the moment for suppressed, but I might later. Now I’m thinking it would be pretty cool lol

And so it begins! LOL

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Pistol vs rifle? Different requirements.10.5 inch barrel with 125 grain bullet may hit 1200 fpe, 110 grain not so much. Again is this SBR, pistol, or rifle? Pistol requires 700 fpe. If in doubt I'd err on the rifle for hunting deer.

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    Pistol vs rifle? Different requirements.10.5 inch barrel with 125 grain bullet may hit 1200 fpe, 110 grain not so much. Again is this SBR, pistol, or rifle? Pistol requires 700 fpe. If in doubt I'd err on the rifle for hunting deer.

It’d be a pistol. I was figuring pistols had to have the 1,200 fpe. I wasn’t aware that pistols have their own requirements. Makes sense.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    A Barns 110 will make 1150+ fbe out of a 10" bbl.

With any niche weapon, bullet placement is extremely important when it comes to hunting.

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    A Barns 110 will make 1150+ fbe out of a 10" bbl.

With any niche weapon, bullet placement is extremely important when it comes to hunting.

I think I’m gonna do the 10.5 instead of the 16. My first 5.56 pistol kinda has me hooked lol.

Correct on the shot placement. I haven’t ever had a deer run past 20 yards. The last done a backflip and laid where it was standing.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I think I’m gonna do the 10.5 instead of the 16. My first 5.56 pistol kinda has me hooked lol.

Correct on the shot placement. I haven’t ever had a deer run past 20 yards. The last done a backflip and laid where it was standing.
    That's what I'm talking about!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Nothing wrong with that, but if a suppressor is in its future, some suppressors aren't rated for barrels under 10 inches. Something to consider.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I think most of them are for .300 BLK now.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Do a 10.5 and a 16”. Parts are cheap enough that you can build a complete upper for peanuts.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

And this is where I call :bs: on a 300BLK not being accurate. I parked 3 consecutive though the same hole at 100 yards. My friends were on the spotting scopes, watching me shoot. I actually walked the rounds around on the target, so the spotters could see the impacts on target. But then again, I built my AR's, so I accurize them during the build process. Do you build and accurize?

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=213710

If you don't feel like scrolling through the whole thread, I'll give you some highlight posts.
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=4896191&postcount=12
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=4896221&postcount=14
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=4896240&postcount=19

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom