• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    A complete gun that is HBAR is cash and carry,.. striped lowers, or anything else, is paperwork and 7 day wait brother...

I think bigfoot was saying a stripped lower can be made into those things he listed..

Gotcha

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The online preliminar 77R must be done by the buyer, before the seller can initiate the actual sale .

Any arbitrary waiting period sucks categorically. That said, and in the contex of Md is Md, and does crazy things : 7days w/o HQL sucks exponentially less than 7days with HQL .

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I'm not sure what this online paperwork you refer to is. It's not that big a deal to buy a stripped lower.

If anyone has ever bought a stripped lower in the state of Maryland in the last year, they fill out forms on a computer. The forms are through msp. Those would be the forms. Is someone gonna tell me they can buy a stripped lower in this state and not complete msp forms?

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I'm not sure what this online paperwork you refer to is. It's not that big a deal to buy a stripped lower.

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...ision/Firearms/RegulatedFirearmPurchases.aspx

Regulated Firearm Purchases

Who Should Apply?

Any person who wishes to purchase, rent, or transfer a regulated firearm must complete a MSP 77R Application and Affidavit to purchse a regulated firearm. This includes individuals acquiring a regulated firearm through a firearm dealer, secondary sale/private sale, gift, or a person who wishes to voluntarily register a regulated firearm shall complete a Maryland State Police Application and Affidavit to Purchase a Regulated Firearm (MSP 77R).
    How To Apply

The Maryland State Police Application and Affidavit to Purchase a Regulated Firearm (MSP 77R) can ONLY be completed through the Licensing Portal. Before beginning your 77R application you will need to create an account with a valid email address. Creating an account assists us with verifying your identity and ensures the safety of your personal demographics. Once you have created your account you will be able to log in to start your 77R applicaton.

Upon submission of your 77R application you will receive a confirmation email with your application number and PIN number. Bring both items (application number and PIN number) to a licensed Maryland Regulated Firearm Dealer or to a Maryland State Police Barrack to complete the applicaiton process. The Dealer/Barrack will complete the application and submit it to Licensing Division.

On the 8th day after the application has been submitted to Licensing Division by the Dealer or Barrack you will receive an email notifying you of your final disposition. If the notification email states your final disposition is Not Disapproved or Initial Review Not Disapproved this means that you have been approved and can now pick up your weapon.

However if the notification email states your final disposition is Disapproved then you may contact the Maryland State Police for more information on the Disapproval; no further details will be provided in the notification email.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    If anyone has ever bought a stripped lower in the state of Maryland in the last year, they fill out forms on a computer. The forms are through msp. Those would be the forms. Is someone gonna tell me they can buy a stripped lower in this state and not complete msp forms?
    So is this online thing new, within the last year? I've purchased stripped lowers, but I suppose it's been about a year. Isn't it the same form you filled out before, just online now?

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If you buy the stripped lower and do the 7 day wait, you will have more flexibility. You can build it as either a pistol or rifle (although once you go rifle, you can't go pistol). If you get a complete lower, it is rifle only, with all the HBAR etc. requirements. If you are positive you want to go the rifle route, then I guess it does not matter.

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    If you buy the stripped lower and do the 7 day wait, you will have more flexibility. You can build it as either a pistol or rifle (although once you go rifle, you can't go pistol). If you get a complete lower, it is rifle only, with all the HBAR etc. requirements. If you are positive you want to go the rifle route, then I guess it does not matter.

I was told and read that as long as a pistol is the first build on a virgin lower, that you can then build it into a rifle and back to pistol as often as you want. I'm not saying you're wrong, fact is, I'm not sure.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I was told and read that as long as a pistol is the first build on a virgin lower, that you can then build it into a rifle and back to pistol as often as you want. I'm not saying you're wrong, fact is, I'm not sure.

I think he meant if you build it as a rifle first, it is a rifle forever.

If you build it as a pistol first, you can turn it in to a rifle and back as much as you want.

Lowers only need to be transferred on a 77r if they are for a traditional handgun and or can be built in to a banned firearm.

There may be some wiggle between different FFLs, but in general something like a stripped AR-10 lower is going to transfer as a firearm and only require a 4473. A 9mm AR-9 lower also likely a 4473. An AR-15 lower is going to be a 77r. A Glock frame is almost certainly going to be a 77r.

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County

If you build it as a pistol first, you can turn it in to a rifle and back as much as you want.

Lowers only need to be transferred on a 77r if they are for a traditional handgun and or can be built in to a banned firearm.

There may be some wiggle between different FFLs, but in general something like a stripped AR-10 lower is going to transfer as a firearm and only require a 4473. A 9mm AR-9 lower also likely a 4473. An AR-15 lower is going to be a 77r. A Glock frame is almost certainly going to be a 77r.

Gotcha!! Thanks!!

larr

Apr 1, 2011
    Easternshore

Am I reading this right, you can purchase a stripped lower and build it into a banned firearm?

RedTide

The Water's Fine
    Jul 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    Am I reading this right, you can purchase a stripped lower and build it into a banned firearm?

No. Banned firearm is banned.

You may build a stripped AR-15 lower (purchased on/after 10/1/2013) into a pistol, an SBR (with appropriate paperwork), or an HBAR rifle configuration.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    no. that's not what he is saying, I think.

must be pistol or hbar.

i think he is saying "if it could have been built at one time (before 10/2013) into an 'assault weapon', then the frame must still be 77r'ed".

And why does a lower transferred as rifle need a 77r if it can only be built into a non-banned hbar which is cash-n-carry? Maryland / libtard logic has infested MSP LD.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Some of these posts have bad info, confuse people and can lead to problems....we as a community really need to be careful what information we provide. My 2 cents. I'm done with this thread.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    By the way.....if the lower wasn't owned by you prior to October 2013....it doesn't matter what configuration a pervious owner had it in.....

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Some of these posts have bad info, confuse people and can lead to problems....we as a community really need to be careful what information we provide. My 2 cents. I'm done with this thread.

Yeah, this thing went sideways in a hurry. I know what I have to do now and that's all I wanted to figure out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom