• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EliteContent

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 3, 2013
    First question, how many out there hunt with a backup gun.

I hunt a Beretta A300 outlander synthetic, and have had no issues.

Going on a few more hunts this year, and started thinking I need a backup pump.

Also, where can I find a cheap, cheap pump.

I am talking used beater. No more than 150.

EliteContent

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 3, 2013
    Good hunting Bob! Let me know when you go for trap.

I will try and join you. (No promises, both sons made lacrosse clubs this year, so weekends are tight) just let me know.

I will be duck hunting October 7th in VA.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I have rarely ever needed a backup gun. Only needed one once in my hunting career, and that was when a piece of shot fell out of a reload while dove hunting. Somehow, it worked its way into the trigger mechanism on my Benelli and stopped the trigger from working. I took the gun apart in the field and a spring shot out. So, the SBE became a single shot. Went and pulled out the Beretta 3901. That was back in the day when I really cared about getting a limit. Nowadays, I think I would be alright with putting the broken gun down and picking up the camera instead. However, if it isn't a hassle, I'll still bring the 3901 along. Just don't expect to use it very much.

You guys will really like your Berettas. I bought an A400 Explor Action in 28 gauge for my son, but I have not had the time to send it out and get the stock work done to it. Have not run into a Beretta yet that is a dog. However, with those gas guns you really need to make sure you keep the gas ports clean. That is the only drawback with a gas gun. Otherwise, they are softer shooting than the inertia driven Benelli, etc.

EliteContent

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 3, 2013
    Thanks fabsroman, and funny k31.

I am on 3 hunts that are guided this year, and am getting a little paranoid.

You are right.

I have never had an issue while hunting last year, to shooting trap.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I didn't used to, until one hunt (a paid, guided hunt), my 11-87 sh!t the bed.

Now I take a SBEII and an M2 as a backup. I have to take two different shells (3" and 3 1/2"), but I'm not going to get hosed again.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Thanks fabsroman, and funny k31.

I am on 3 hunts that are guided this year, and am getting a little paranoid.

You are right.

I have never had an issue while hunting last year, to shooting trap.

If I was going on a guided hunt, I think I would be taking a 2nd shotgun. It would really depend on how special the trip was. I used to hunt so much that missing a day of shooting because of a broken gun would not have been a big deal. However, I still brought a back up gun. lol

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I didn't used to, until one hunt (a paid, guided hunt), my 11-87 sh!t the bed.

Now I take a SBEII and an M2 as a backup. I have to take two different shells (3" and 3 1/2"), but I'm not going to get hosed again.

You know you don't "have" to take two different shell lengths with you. The SBE can shoot 3" shells. Also, there isn't much advantage from a 3 1/2" shell anyways other than a longer shot string that allows you a scintilla more error in your swing. Of course, I shoot 3.5" shells out of mine because I like the back pain they cause.

Now, with turkey hunting, a 3.5" shell is a plus over a 3" shells because it puts more pellets on target because the bird is not flying through the shot string and the gun is not moving when the shot is fired.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    You know you don't "have" to take two different shell lengths with you. The SBE can shoot 3" shells. Also, there isn't much advantage from a 3 1/2" shell anyways other than a longer shot string that allows you a scintilla more error in your swing. Of course, I shoot 3.5" shells out of mine because I like the back pain they cause.

Now, with turkey hunting, a 3.5" shell is a plus over a 3" shells because it puts more pellets on target because the bird is not flying through the shot string and the gun is not moving when the shot is fired.

Why do I use 3 1/2" shells? Because they don't make 4". :D

I usually start off with 3 1/2" (I'll take every advantage I can get; sometimes that "scintilla" is the difference between a bird in the boat and a diving cripple you never see, again), but if we end up doing a lot of shooting, I'll usually switch to 3" by 11am.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Why do I use 3 1/2" shells? Because they don't make 4". :D

I usually start off with 3 1/2" (I'll take every advantage I can get; sometimes that "scintilla" is the difference between a bird in the boat and a diving cripple you never see, again), but if we end up doing a lot of shooting, I'll usually switch to 3" by 11am.

Yeah, if Benelli or Beretta made a 10 gauge, I would buy it. There, the additional payload has a vast benefit because the shot string itself can be made denser.

You know there is a limit on how many ducks and geese you can kill. Shooting better means you have to shoot less. Just ribbing you.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I always take a backup for pheasants. Never know if a malfunction will occur. Other issues can present themselves as well. Is it extra cold that day? Do you have on 4 layers due to a -13*F wind-chill? The length of pull is going to be all wonky now, perhaps you have a second shotgun with a shorter stock that would work better, etc.

I actually take two most of the time. One shorter "brush" gun and a longer "fowling" gun (30" bbl vs upland 26") just to have all my bases covered. Only drawback is playing eeny-meeny-miney-mo at the start of the hunt.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    If I saw a used pump for $150 I would have already bought it and I don't fowl hunt.
    Only thing I ever see in the $150 range are single shots.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Yeah, if Benelli or Beretta made a 10 gauge, I would buy it. There, the additional payload has a vast benefit because the shot string itself can be made denser.

You know there is a limit on how many ducks and geese you can kill. Shooting better means you have to shoot less. Just ribbing you.

Yeah, yeah.

I'm surprised the interest in 10 gauge dropped as fast as it did; my hunting partner swears by his SP10 (which Remington will no longer support.) Ammo is getting harder to find and the selection is dwindling. It's too bad- 10 gauge is great for Canadas.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I've taken a back-up gun on a hunt, once.

1989. Northern Ontario, Canada - black bear.

I took my '06 and for back-up took my 870 Wingmaster with a Hastings 26" fully rifled barrel and 3" BRI sabot slugs.

The 870 only came out of the case when it was declared, going into Canada.

I've always been a "one hunt - one gun" hunter.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So, do you ankle carry your backup goose gun? My 2 cents are any kind of out of state hunt if ANYTHING I’d pack a backup gun, even if it was a crappy one. Preferably in seperate cases if flying (no idea if you could do seperate cases flying or not as I’ve never flown with a firearm).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom