• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I have always only dealt with hunting with MDWFA and MD sportsmen back in the day. The thing about hunting is it is all for sport and there is not money to be made from it. You can't sell venison, duck, goose, squirrel and rabbit to the restaurants. this make things simpler.

This is where fishing and the regulations goes sideways. Commercial interests always pay favorite. The DNR needs to make decisions based on the "resource" they are managing and not on the people that want to catch them and possibly sell them. But, as you know in this state, if there is money to be made, there is a a lobbyist to push for it. You all may think the DNR is powerful, but they bend fast to political pressure as they do not have the right to fight the legislature or the governor. They have to move inside the lines and the former two can move the lines or them. Their hands are tied many times. I know guys fighting the fight on the fishing front and its an ugly business.

Fishing regulations is like a barrel full of monkeys. Pull one way and there is 5 other ways pulling back. No concern for the resources or the stock. Just our Profit or our limits. The next moratorium is in your future because the selfishness can't be controlled. We have seen it with rockfish and canadian geese before and both are coming full circle to another one because no one can say "Enough, What is best for the game animal"

I think I'll go fishing for blues, as I can catch a bunch of them. Maybe smoke them. Yea, that sounds good!

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I have always only dealt with hunting with MDWFA and MD sportsmen back in the day. The thing about hunting is it is all for sport and there is not money to be made from it. You can't sell venison, duck, goose, squirrel and rabbit to the restaurants. this make things simpler.

This is where fishing and the regulations goes sideways. Commercial interests always pay favorite. The DNR needs to make decisions based on the "resource" they are managing and not on the people that want to catch them and possibly sell them. But, as you know in this state, if there is money to be made, there is a a lobbyist to push for it. You all may think the DNR is powerful, but they bend fast to political pressure as they do not have the right to fight the legislature or the governor. They have to move inside the lines and the former two can move the lines or them. Their hands are tied many times. I know guys fighting the fight on the fishing front and its an ugly business.

Fishing regulations is like a barrel full of monkeys. Pull one way and there is 5 other ways pulling back. No concern for the resources or the stock. Just our Profit or our limits. The next moratorium is in your future because the selfishness can't be controlled. We have seen it with rockfish and canadian geese before and both are coming full circle to another one because no one can say "Enough, What is best for the game animal"

I think I'll go fishing for blues, as I can catch a bunch of them. Maybe smoke them. Yea, that sounds good!
    But but but "The war on watermen!".

That's how that whole argument gets started

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    This isn’t just a MD requirement. The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Council mandated cuts to all East Coast states. The last biomass assessment indicates that there is over fishing occurring all along the coast.
    In 2013 I believe, a 25% reduction on the coast and 20.5% in the Chesapeake bay was mandated. That plan was extended until the last stock assessment. That was when the 28” spring minimum size went by the wayside, and the summer fishing went from 18” to 20”. MD was able to get a 19” fish last year due to the high number of dead discards to get 20” fish. That’s when the circle hooks were mandated.

The breeding stock doesn’t stay in the bay. They arrive early spring, spawn and leave for the ocean. If MD only fished for the spawning size fish, we wouldn’t have much of a season as they wouldn’t be here In addition, that would put all of the fishing pressure on the fish needed to sustain the stock.
    Our summer fishery is predominantly male fish.
    Protecting the breeders to me, is what should be the most important consideration. One large female carries thousands of eggs.

Pretty much this right here. So glad you laid it all out and I do not have to.

They could just scrap the trophy season and allow the summer and early fall fishing for 20"+ fish. I remember catching fish full of roe back in the late 90's when we were fishing the trophy season. Let the big ones spawn and return to the bay before starting the rockfish season. Remember there being a moratorium in the early 90's. Remember a moratorium on geese in the mid 90's too. Seems like we are right back where we started with both of them.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

There is money to be made in hunting too, in the form of guiding. Kind of like charter boats. Why do you think a license is required now to do waterfowl guiding AND prior experience with a waterfowl guide is required before one can even get a waterfowl guide license. These requirements prevent competition. A group of waterfowl guides are the ones that pushed for those regulations. Guess they think that waterfowl guiding requires the same type of protection for consumers as the CPA profession requires.

You want to see waterfowl guides crying the blues? Put a moratorium on migratory geese on the eastern part of the state and they will be crying. They are already crying with the 1 bird a day limit.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Quick question.
    Can you use an artificial lure with two treble hooks fishing for rockfish in the tidal Potomac?
    Here’s what’s on the DNR website. The way I read it, multiple hooks on artificial lure count as one set of hooks. Would the treble hooks need to be cut to one hook each? Or can you go ahead with two treble hooks?
    53aad054280fcf16ba82291486fc0cb2.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Quick question.
    Can you use an artificial lure with two treble hooks fishing for rockfish in the tidal Potomac?
    Here’s what’s on the DNR website. The way I read it, multiple hooks on artificial lure count as one set of hooks. Would the treble hooks need to be cut to one hook each? Or can you go ahead with two treble hooks?
    53aad054280fcf16ba82291486fc0cb2.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or you could wear a sombrero and do whatever the hell you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Andre

Latest threads

Top Bottom