Public ranges that allow .223/.556 near Pasadena?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    What's the difference between .223 and .556?

5.56mm is the military type of ammunition and is loaded to slightly higher pressures than .223 which is the civilian equivalent. Military specs mean the cases have been annealed, and the primers are crimped in place. These are great for reloading after preparation.

The chambers in 5.56 and .223 are also slightly different. You can shoot .223 in a 5.56 marked barrel, but should not fire 5.56 from a .223 marked barrel unless it is marked .223 Wylde.

Rule of thumb: Barrels marked 5.56 or .223 Wylde will shoot any available ammunition. Barrels marked .223, only shoot .223!

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    Freestate gun range allows 556,its only 25 yards tho.

It's good for zeroing

Or for learning to shoot an AR

25yrds isn't much fun for an experienced rifle shooter. But if someone is new....it's a great way to learn sight picture and trigger control and all that good stuff. Can easily see your errors (since the target is close) and because it's a rifle it's pretty easy to feel like you are good at 25 yards so you enjoy the experience as a new shooter

I recently shot there to do a zero. Was great. Staff is friendly. And I learned how to do an effective 50 yard zero at only 10 yards by compensating for the distance the sight sits above the barrel. Worked great at the shorter indoor range and took half the time a true 50 yard zero takes (no walking back and forth)

ABN

ATW!
    Jan 20, 2020
    Baltimore
    Freestate gun range allows 556,its only 25 yards tho.

The first time I went there I thought all these people waiting around were getting ready for a class or something, but no they were all waiting for their name to be called for an opened lane. It was a 2 hour wait to get a lane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom