• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    As others have said, best money spent for now is in ammo, and instruction. Most every change to a basic AR M4/REECE comes with a tradeoff, some are worth it, some are not, and much will depend on budget, intended specialty use, reliability, and versatility. Mil-spec triggers are heavy, gritty, creepy, and suck to shoot, but they are reliable. Geissele triggers and the similar Larue MBT preserve reliability, but offer a cleaner crisper pull, and can offer a 2 stage setup where there is a light takeup stage then a short crisp "break" stage that is noticeable due o increased pull weight once you get to the point. Single stage triggers just have a single weight where the shot breaks somewhere in that pull distance, and then the trigger resets when allowed to spring forward. I REALLY like the 2 Brownell's exclusive triggers, BGRF is a single stage with 3 and 4# springs included, decently quick, smooth and crisp. The BG2SE and Larue MBT are near identical in feel, a light crisp excellent 2 stage, about a 2# takeup and an additional 1# 2nd stage break. THe advantage is that it allows you to get past the takup, pre-tensioning your trigger finger, then you basically get the feel of a super short/light break, great for longer range, but safe and not too quick to break, for fast shooting you just feel a long 1st stage, and pull quick enough to not feel the 2nd stage. The Timney Calvin Elite is my goto 3 gun trigger, 1.5# single stage with adjustable post and interchangeable shoes, it is stupid light fast and has a crisp tiny travel with a short and really distinct reset, blows my AR Gold and Hiperfire 24C(now HPTC) out of the water IMO.

Optics are a mix of personal preference and needs. Much comes down to how much magnification you really need, if you can hit 200 yard gongs using irons with ease, then a 4X would theoretically give that same target picture out at 800 yards. If you want precision, and need a 6X at 100 yards to get the most out of a precision build, then a 24X could get you out to a mere 400 yards. generally lower magnification and more expensive optics give a better image. I can shoot my expensive 1-6X Vortex PST2 better than my cheaper 1-8 Strike eagle, and both blow a 4-12X Tasco out of the water as the cleaner image needs less magnification, and with less magnification more light is transmitted to the eye. Red dots are nice close in, better models have cleaner glass and less noticeable tint and distortion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom