Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2020, 12:07 PM #31
Ilexopaca Ilexopaca is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 20
Ilexopaca Ilexopaca is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 20
One thing we can do as individuals is to always use circle hooks. The last time I was out I saw dozens of floaters from charters and others. It was sad and pathetic. Whenever I hear someone bitching about circle hooks it always surprises me. Been using them for years in FL and MD and have become more productive and certainly less lethal on release.
Ilexopaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2020, 07:49 PM #32
ChrisD's Avatar
ChrisD ChrisD is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Conowingo
Posts: 1,726
ChrisD ChrisD is offline
Senior Member
ChrisD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Conowingo
Posts: 1,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilexopaca View Post
One thing we can do as individuals is to always use circle hooks. The last time I was out I saw dozens of floaters from charters and others. It was sad and pathetic. Whenever I hear someone bitching about circle hooks it always surprises me. Been using them for years in FL and MD and have become more productive and certainly less lethal on release.
Circle hooks definitely help. Iíve been using them for years, way before they were mandated. The one thing I recommend and practice is not staying and pounding on the fish once a limit is in the box when using bait. According to the ASMFC, recreational discards account for 48% of the striped bass mortality. Go perch fishing, catch catfish or look for bluefish.
__________________
NRA Patron Life Member
Designated Collector

www.teasersportfishing.com
ChrisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2020, 07:27 AM #33
outrider58's Avatar
outrider58 outrider58 is offline
Coulrophobologist
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 25,280
outrider58 outrider58 is offline
Coulrophobologist
outrider58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 25,280
One thing that has always bugged me is the summer "anything over 18"" rule.
An 18" fish is the same age as a 16"-17" fish, is it not? We are killing the genetically superior stock while allowing the inferior of the species to go on.
I'd love to see a slot limit that allows the smaller, say 16"-17", be kept, and the 18"-21" fish released. I'm aware of the release-mortality rates, but I think that can be lowered(circle hooks and rubber coated 'basket' type nets, etc). As it stands now, we're killing the 'stronger' fish and releasing the 'weaker' ones.
outrider58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2020, 09:08 AM #34
gtodave's Avatar
gtodave gtodave is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mt Airy
Posts: 6,906
gtodave gtodave is offline
Member
gtodave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mt Airy
Posts: 6,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by outrider58 View Post
One thing that has always bugged me is the summer "anything over 18"" rule.
An 18" fish is the same age as a 16"-17" fish, is it not? We are killing the genetically superior stock while allowing the inferior of the species to go on.
I'd love to see a slot limit that allows the smaller, say 16"-17", be kept, and the 18"-21" fish released. I'm aware of the release-mortality rates, but I think that can be lowered(circle hooks and rubber coated 'basket' type nets, etc). As it stands now, we're killing the 'stronger' fish and releasing the 'weaker' ones.
By your logic, then a 17" fish is the same age as a 16" fish, and so on down the line. So the line has to be drawn somewhere.
__________________
We're right, we're free....we'll fight, you'll see.
gtodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2020, 11:46 AM #35
outrider58's Avatar
outrider58 outrider58 is offline
Coulrophobologist
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 25,280
outrider58 outrider58 is offline
Coulrophobologist
outrider58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 25,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtodave View Post
By your logic, then a 17" fish is the same age as a 16" fish, and so on down the line. So the line has to be drawn somewhere.
I think you missed my point.

What's better? 36" stripers or 40" stripers?
outrider58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2020, 12:18 PM #36
gtodave's Avatar
gtodave gtodave is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mt Airy
Posts: 6,906
gtodave gtodave is offline
Member
gtodave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mt Airy
Posts: 6,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by outrider58 View Post
I think you missed my point.

What's better? 36" stripers or 40" stripers?
I didn't miss it, I'm merely pointing out that wherever you draw the line for keeper vs non-keeper fish, there will be the same year-class fish that are larger and smaller than that. So it doesn't matter if the cut off is 18" or 28", there will be fish of the same recruitment class that are stronger and weaker.
__________________
We're right, we're free....we'll fight, you'll see.
gtodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2020, 01:24 PM #37
pbharvey's Avatar
pbharvey pbharvey is offline
Habitual Testifier
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 21,908
pbharvey pbharvey is offline
Habitual Testifier
pbharvey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 21,908
Looks like NJ has some sort of lottery or tag to keep an additional fish.

https://www.njfishandwildlife.com/pd...tinstr_ind.pdf
Attached Images
 
__________________
Brian

"The heart of the matter then is not the existence of guns, knives or pressure cookers, it is this: Itís the evil lurking in the hearts of people. And there is only one solution to that problem.
His name is Jesus Christ, and the change He brings to a personís heart is the ultimate cure for the violence and wickedness that surrounds us." Jim Daly
pbharvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2020, 02:48 PM #38
outrider58's Avatar
outrider58 outrider58 is offline
Coulrophobologist
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 25,280
outrider58 outrider58 is offline
Coulrophobologist
outrider58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 25,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtodave View Post
I didn't miss it, I'm merely pointing out that wherever you draw the line for keeper vs non-keeper fish, there will be the same year-class fish that are larger and smaller than that. So it doesn't matter if the cut off is 18" or 28", there will be fish of the same recruitment class that are stronger and weaker.
Well for now, we're killing all the larger fish and leaving all the runts for the future, genetically speaking. That was my point.
outrider58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM #39
gtodave's Avatar
gtodave gtodave is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mt Airy
Posts: 6,906
gtodave gtodave is offline
Member
gtodave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mt Airy
Posts: 6,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by outrider58 View Post
Well for now, we're killing all the larger fish and leaving all the runts for the future, genetically speaking. That was my point.
I understood your point, but I think you may have missed mine
__________________
We're right, we're free....we'll fight, you'll see.
gtodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2019, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service